Moving to Fort Worth, Texas from North Carolina

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
meddafuxa

Moving to Fort Worth, Texas from North Carolina

Post by meddafuxa »

Hey guys, I need some help/advice. I'm pretty sure I'll be moving near the Dallas or Fort Worth area. I have my CC permit here in NC. How long will I have once I have moved to Texas to get a Texas permit? Can I wait for my NC permit to expire since they allow NC residents to carry in TX? In order for me to get a TX permit I'll need to take their class right or can I just goto the sheriffs and apply for a TX permit? I know TX currently doesn't allow open carry of handguns but here in NC I sometimes use an OWB holster. I end up throwing a jacket over that but it's possible someone may see my gun. In NC no one ever gives me trouble, it's MOSTLY concealed. We have open carry here. Would that fly in Texas or does it have to be completely out of sight?

Thank you.

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Moving to Fort Worth, Texas from North Carolina

Post by ELB »

Start here: http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Oh and this:

In Texas licenses are issued by the state Department of Public Safety, not the county sheriff. There is an online application at the above link. You have to take an initial course in Texas, plus a simple shooting test, taught by a DPS approved instructor. There are plenty of instructors on this forum, and plenty more as well. I believe the DPS site lists them some place, and you can ask around where ever it is you are going to live.

You can carry on another states carry permit as long as Texas recognizes it even if you are a Texas resident, but I don't know how NC treats your license if you change from resident (of NC) to non-resident. Can you just file a change of address, do you have to pay some fee for a new license with a new address?

Texas CHLs also have your Driver's License number or State ID number on them, which is why I posted the links to the DL pages. You can drive on your NC DL for up to 90 days after taking residence here. You might find the paperwork process and fees simpler if you just get your TX DL soon, and then your Texas CHL sometime afterward.
http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/ ... otexas.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Texas has concealed carry only for the moment. It is a crime in the Penal Code if:
PC 46.035 (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun
on or about the license holder’s person under the authority of Subchapter H,
Chapter 411, Government Code [Concealed Handgun law], and intentionally displays the handgun in plain
view of another person in a public place.
It is not a crime if your coat blows open and someone sees the gun, but you need to make a reasonable effort to conceal it.

There are open carry bills being considered in the Texas Legislature right now, but even if passed they will not likely become effective before 1/1/16.

Welcome to Texas!
USAF 1982-2005

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Texas. I've carried in NC often, and yes, the rules are different here.

As for the concealment, the rule here is to keep it concealed (for now). Lots of folks use OWB holsters, but they have untucked shirts or jackets to cover. Accidental exposure is not supposed to be a crime, but we do have the do our very best to keep it concealed.

We can't 'just go to the sheriff' here. It's all centrally run through the Department of Public Safety (DPS). We all have to take the class and go through the application process, fingerprints, etc.

The DPS site gives you lots of info, and I suggest you focus on the CHL16. For a good 'CHL for beginner's checklist' you can check out this other site as well.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RoyGBiv »

I am a NC transplant. Welcome to TX. :txflag:
It's not very green here, but the people are GREAT.

You can apply for a TX non resident license.... If you are planning a house hunting trip, schedule it around taking the TX class.
Once you have done the class, apply for your permit online and schedule fingerprints (done electronically here, you have to make an appointment AFTER you send in your application).
After you receive your TX non-resident license, do the move and get a TX DL. Then send in the request (online) to change to a TX resident CHL. $25 change fee, but no additional paperwork or class time. You can change the same day you get your DL.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Welcome to Texas and the forum. This is a great place to get information about Texas CHL.

If your legal residence changes to Texas, you really should apply for a Texas CHL. Among several reasons is the Federal Gun-Free School Zones Act. If you go within a 1000 feet of the grounds of a school you cannot carry unless you are licensed in the state where the school resides. It is kInd of hard to not go through or near any school grounds within any of the cities in the DFW metroplex.
Ron
NRA Member

TomV

Post by TomV »

Since everyone has answered your question, I'll just say, welcome to Texas. :tiphat:
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

You bringing smoked pork butt with you? Don't forget the sauce.

Welcome to Texas and the forum.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Other than the CC stuff, you might ought to think about beef BBQ. There ain't no Smithfields in Texas.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Oldgringo wrote:Other than the CC stuff, you might ought to think about beef BBQ. There ain't no Smithfields in Texas.
We can make our own easy enough.
Maybe convert a few natives too. :mrgreen:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Quick summary of Texas gun laws: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would start there and look up the appropriate laws cited within if you have any questions. Google search finds them pretty reasonably.

Here's a few main ones:

Texas Penal Code Chapter 42 (weapons)
Texas Penal Code 30.06 (anti-gun sign law)
Texas Penal Code Chapter 9, Subchapters C and D (deadly force laws)
Texas Government Code Chapter 411, Subchapter H (license to carry a concealed handgun)
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Topic author
meddafuxa

Post by meddafuxa »

I love Texas bbq too! I have been to Texas a lot over the years. I have family in San Antonio and other areas. :cheers2: Thanks for all the replies guys. I was just looking for a crash course, I appreciate the info. I hope they pass the open carry. I don't ever open carry here in NC but it's always nice to have that option.

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

meddafuxa wrote:I love Texas bbq too! I have been to Texas a lot over the years. I have family in San Antonio and other areas. :cheers2: Thanks for all the replies guys. I was just looking for a crash course, I appreciate the info. I hope they pass the open carry. I don't ever open carry here in NC but it's always nice to have that option.
Sounds like you will fit right in here. :cheers2: Welcome! :txflag:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Welcome to Texas! If you move into the Ft.Worth area, lemme know. I know of a lot of great bbq places, my 2nd favorite food. My first is Mexican Food(aka: Tex-Mex). :drool:

This is a great forum. There's a wealth of information here, and tons of great guys & gals to get to know.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Welcome to Texas!
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

mtnthundr2

Post by mtnthundr2 »

Me and Mr Mtnthundr2 moved here three years ago, it seems to me that we had to be a resident of Texas for 6 months before we could apply for our CHL? Am I remembering this wrong, does this sound familiar to any other transplants?

(....still searching for the answer....will get back to update once I find it)

ETA.....removed link that WAS above, it was a personal website for classes (sure looked like an official government page to me, I didn't mean to advertise a business here, sorry admins!)

ETA again! to add correct website link to official TX DPS website with eligibility requirement regarding the 6 month waiting period
FOUND IT (if it still applies!)

It appears that there IS a 6 month waiting period for new residents (unless I'm interpreting it wrong);
GC §411.172. ELIGIBILITY. (a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a
concealed handgun if the person:
(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date
of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetf ... CHL-16.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5-28-14 Upload documents - 6-26-14 plastic in hand
~ Never let your fear decide your fate ~

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”