Glockster
Posts in topic: 11

Re: How to report improper §30.06 signs

Post by Glockster »

ScottDLS wrote:
Glockster wrote:
unicyclist wrote:
puma guy wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:Wow... Fort Worth zoo combining 30.06 and 30.07 signs on city property. How else can they fail to comply with the law? They don't care, they just don't want icky guns near their dangerous animals... Or the zoo animals either.

It is almost like they know that they are doing it wrong, they are counting on the gun carrying public to not know in their efforts to be the most law abiding group in Texas.
I look for them to begin a propaganda campaign. I would bet a dime to a dollar they'll be making statements to the public how they are legitimately exempted and the evil gun people are trying to turn the the zoo and war zone and dangerous place. I wouldn't doubt they'd even threaten closing.
I plan on calling the zoo to enroll my child in the Fort Worth Zoo day care.

FYI, as is with the Dallas Zoo and being discussed in a separate thread, Fort Worth Zoo also holds an amusement park license.
Unlike the Dallas Zoo, the Fort Worth Zoo is not 75 acres or greater, so they fail the definition of an amusement park under 46.035. Let's see if they try to use the Amusement Park idea as justification....
Had read on another forum that they have done just that -- claimed that as an amusement park they are exempt. I think that they are possibly quite clueless about the whole 75 acre requirement (and all else in 46.035).
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

SC1903A3
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SC1903A3 »

For what it's worth I went to the Grapevine Convention Center for their gun show today. No 30.06 sign. Glad to see they didn't put up the sign however I was disappointed in the size of the show.

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Taypo »

I was at the Collin County Tax Assesor's office to renew my registration and noticed they're still posted 30.06. Is there any particular reason that anyone is aware of?

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 10

Post by ScottDLS »

Taypo wrote:I was at the Collin County Tax Assesor's office to renew my registration and noticed they're still posted 30.06. Is there any particular reason that anyone is aware of?
A couple possible excuses they'll try... Not a government entity (FALSE!) Meeting of the appraisal board (NOT UNLESS THEY MEET 24x7, and then only valid during the meeting for those attending, not the whole premises).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dhoobler »

I sent a letter to Pasadena Mayor Johnny Isbel on September 10, 2015 requesting that the city not permit the posting a 30.06 sign at the Pasadena Convention Center during gun shows. I sent it certified mail, return receipt requested. The city received it on September 15.

I included a photograph of a 30.06 sign posted at a gun show. The city knows that I have proof of these signs. There is a gun show scheduled for October 3-4 at the Pasadena Convention Center. I hope to attend Sunday but I am not sure if I can make it. I would be most grateful if someone who does attend photograph the 30.06 sign and post the image or E-mail it to me (dhoobler@gmail.com). If they post again, I will file a complaint with the attorney general. It would not hurt if more people sent letters to the mayor.

Here is the text of my letter:

Mayor Johnny Isbel
City of Pasadena
1211 Southmore Ave
Pasadena, TX 77502

Dear Mayor Isbel,
I have attended gun shows in the past hosted at the Pasadena Convention center. There is always a “30.06” sign posted to prohibit concealed carry on the premises. There are Pasadena police officers on site enforcing the prohibition. An example of the sign is enclosed.

Section 30.06 of the Texas penal code has never applied to property owned or leased by a government entity. The Pasadena Convention Center falls into the category of government owned property.

The regular section of the 84th Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 273, which provides for civil penalties to government entities that post 30.06 signs on properties that are exempt from Texas Penal Code, section 30.06. The penalty for the first offense is $1,000 to $1,500 and $10,000 to $10,500 for each subsequent offense. Each day the sign is posted is a separate offence. SB 273 removes sovereign immunity from government officials for offenses committed under SB 273.

In response to SB 273, the City of Austin is removing 30.06 signs from city owned property. This was reported by the Austin Fox news channel. I have enclosed a copy of the story that can be read here: http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-ne ... 6236-story
Posting 30.06 signs, or otherwise excluding concealed carry (and open carry starting January 1, 2016) could cause the City of Pasadena to be in violation of the law and subject to the civil penalties provided for in SB 273. I respectfully request that you disallow such postings at future gun shows at the Pasadena Convention Center.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Help me out please. IANAL. I still do not understand how a 30.06 sign can even be legal to begin with?

The Constitution does not permit public no-gun zones any more than it does public no-free-speech zones.

Is this like Colorado making pot legal even though it is a Federal crime? :confused5
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Taypo
Banned
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Taypo »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Help me out please. IANAL. I still do not understand how a 30.06 sign can even be legal to begin with?

The Constitution does not permit public no-gun zones any more than it does public no-free-speech zones.

Is this like Colorado making pot legal even though it is a Federal crime? :confused5
Regardless of your interpretation of the Constitution, Texas has 30.06 on the books. Until the federal government issues a blanket "Anygun, anywhere, anytime" ruling, this is a moot point.

I'd expect that ruling to happen right about the same time pigs fly and we get snow in August.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Bitter Clinger wrote:The Constitution does not permit public no-gun zones any more than it does public no-free-speech zones.
According the the Heller opinion by the SCOTUS, it does. Their opinions count, not ours.

Chas.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

The Fort Worth Gun Show is posting a 3'x5' 30.06 sign at the front door of the Will Roberts exhibits hall. It is a temporary sign, on a stand. The one issue with trying to follow the procedure for submitting a legitimate complaint is that the sign is only up for two days. It is impossible to photograph it (date on photo) on day one and day four.

Humm.....

Charles... options?
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

kg5ie wrote:The Fort Worth Gun Show is posting a 3'x5' 30.06 sign at the front door of the Will Roberts exhibits hall. It is a temporary sign, on a stand. The one issue with trying to follow the procedure for submitting a legitimate complaint is that the sign is only up for two days. It is impossible to photograph it (date on photo) on day one and day four.

Humm.....

Charles... options?
Photograph it, then send a notice to the city. At the next gun show, photograph it again, then file the complaint with the AG along with a special affidavit stating what happened on two occasions. This is still actionable, but it's a harder fight that the AG may or may not choose to push. We will address this in 2017, along with adding a private cause of action, zoos and other tactics of dishonest local officials.

Chas.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:[ We will address this in 2017, along with adding a private cause of action, zoos and other tactics of dishonest local officials.

Chas.
Excellent, as that apparently is what it will take to force the dishonest tactics and games to end (or at least they'll have to morph them in some other way).

:txflag:
NRA Life Member

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by NotRPB »

Complaints start to trickle in over local governments’ ‘no guns’ signs
Published: October 9, 2015 2:31 pm
http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/ ... 2f3e97a9a8

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 3

Post by MeMelYup »

Has anybody thought of places like museums on city property, etc.?

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

NotRPB wrote:Complaints start to trickle in over local governments’ ‘no guns’ signs
Wow: "Though only a handful of complaints have so far been sent to the attorney general’s office..." I wonder where those stats came from because just from the postings here it seems to exceed that.
NRA Life Member

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sjfcontrol »

Glockster wrote:
NotRPB wrote:Complaints start to trickle in over local governments’ ‘no guns’ signs
Wow: "Though only a handful of complaints have so far been sent to the attorney general’s office..." I wonder where those stats came from because just from the postings here it seems to exceed that.
Perhaps the journalist has REALLY big hands..... :evil2:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”