CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

How to report improper §30.06 signs

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

SB273 that prohibits governmental entities and agencies from posting unenforceable 30.06 signs, or otherwise giving notice under §30.06, goes into effect Sept. 1, 2015. There is a specific procedure that must be followed in order to file an official complaint that is necessary to authorize the Texas Attorney General to file suit. This procedure requires three day written notice to the governmental agency or subdivision, but the code provision is silent as to whether this notice must be given prior to filing a complaint with the AG's office. I am going to draft a suggested form letter for citizens to use when providing this required three day notice, as well as a suggested affidavit to use when filing a complaint with the AG's Office. The Code does not require an affidavit, but that would be a very good idea. I will also provide a step by step outline of what do to and how to do it.

The forms will be on the TexasFirearmsCoalition.com website. People wanting to complain about signs will be able to fill in the required data on an input form and they will receive an email with the completed letter, affidavit and data form. They will also need to upload a photograph of the sign. This procedure will not only make filing a complaint very easy, it will create a database of complaints and agencies/subdivisions that are violating the law. Hopefully, we will never need this information, but it will be valuable if we have to address this issue again. I am especially concerned about signs that are posted for short periods of time, making the three day notice and failure to cure a problem. Gun shows and other short-term events come to mind. The database of complaints will be invaluable if this becomes a problem.

I am making this an announcement so it will always be easy to find. I will post a notice and a link to the forms when I have them completed.

Don't bother photographing unenforceable signs now, most of them will come down before Sept. 1st.

Chas.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Re: How to report improper §30.06 signs

Post by TVGuy »

Charles, thanks again for your hard work on behalf of Texas gun owners! :txflag:

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

I forgot to mention that I would like someone to photograph the 30.06 sign at the Fort Worth Zoo at some point after Sept. 1st. I'll need them to fill out the affidavit, but I'll send the notice letter to the city of Fort Worth and I'll file the AG complaint when Fort Worth calls former Rep. Lon Burnam and he tells them not to take the sign down. Burnam lost his primary bid, but last session he flat out lied about the Zoo owning the property and he treated Rep. Guillen like a dog in the process. I had the contract in my hand and knew he was lying.

Yeah, this is just a little payback and man is it going to be fun!!

Chas.

ScooterSissy
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ScooterSissy »

Can you make this a "sticky" on here as well, so it is easy to find? This is a bill I've been hoping for since I first got my CHL.

clarionite
Posts in topic: 2

Post by clarionite »

I'll go by San Antonio Airport September 2nd.

Thank you Charles for posting this.

TVGuy
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TVGuy »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I forgot to mention that I would like someone to photograph the 30.06 sign at the Fort Worth Zoo at some point after Sept. 1st. I'll need them to fill out the affidavit, but I'll send the notice letter to the city of Fort Worth and I'll file the AG complaint when Fort Worth calls former Rep. Lon Burnam and he tells them not to take the sign down. Burnam lost his primary bid, but last session he flat out lied about the Zoo owning the property and he treated Rep. Guillen like a dog in the process. I had the contract in my hand and knew he was lying.

Yeah, this is just a little payback and man is it going to be fun!!

Chas.
I'd be happy to do so on 9/1. I work in Ft. Worth. We can touch base when the time draws near.

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

ScooterSissy wrote:Can you make this a "sticky" on here as well, so it is easy to find? This is a bill I've been hoping for since I first got my CHL.
It's technically an "announcement" meaning it will always be in the top section of General Texas CHL Section. It will be easily found.

Chas.

ELB
Posts in topic: 12

Post by ELB »

The tax office on Bandera Road in San Antonio had a 30.06 sign long after it should have come down. I haven't been over there in a long time, but if it is not gone yet, anyone living in the Leon Springs area should keep an eye on it. ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

oohrah
Posts in topic: 4

Post by oohrah »

I'm chomping at the bit to put the Waco Courthouse Annex on report. No courts or jails in that building.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

I believe Love Field still has 30.05 signs posted.

Will check in Sept.

And this place maybe?.... http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 8&p=965743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Mel
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mel »

RoyGBiv wrote:I believe Love Field still has 30.05 signs posted.
Will check in Sept.
And this place maybe?.... http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 8&p=965743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Love Field has had 30.06 signs since the opening of the new terminal.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

yea!

rmr24

Post by rmr24 »

Will the law apply to "Gunbuster" signs also?

Aggie_engr

Post by Aggie_engr »

rmr24 wrote:Will the law apply to "Gunbuster" signs also?
It is my understanding that it only applies to illegally posted 30.06 signs on government owned or leased property. Gunbuster signs have no legal authority for licensed Texans. :tiphat:

ETA government leased property.
Last edited by Aggie_engr on Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”