Abbreviations...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
recrisp
Posts in topic: 3

Abbreviations...

Post by recrisp »

Like any hobby, computer, or the armed forces, etc., there are certain abbreviations that go along with what we all do, those that know, know that stuff, those that don't, well, we can tend to get a little lost.
Is there anywhere on this forum that has a firearm related list that would help those that may have to search for most of the abbreviations that those in the know sling out and make us that don't, scratch their heads and go off to Google? There are so many, I feel like a deer in a headlight sometimes, I have been through this before, each thing I get involved in seems to have their own lingo, but I bet it'd help those that don't have a clue, (like me) quite a bit. :???: ;-)

Anyway, if you can either show where the link is (here), or if possible, let's start one that could benefit those in need in the future, that'd be good too.

Thanks!

Randy

Vol Texan

Re: Abbreviations...

Post by Vol Texan »

recrisp wrote:Like any hobby, computer, or the armed forces, etc., there are certain abbreviations that go along with what we all do, those that know, know that stuff, those that don't, well, we can tend to get a little lost.
Is there anywhere on this forum that has a firearm related list that would help those that may have to search for most of the abbreviations that those in the know sling out and make us that don't, scratch their heads and go off to Google? There are so many, I feel like a deer in a headlight sometimes, I have been through this before, each thing I get involved in seems to have their own lingo, but I bet it'd help those that don't have a clue, (like me) quite a bit. :???: ;-)

Anyway, if you can either show where the link is (here), or if possible, let's start one that could benefit those in need in the future, that'd be good too.

Thanks!

Randy
Here is a good starter list. I'll see if I can find one local here on the forum.
http://www.alumbankweb.com/cc-acronyms.htm

Edited to add: Take a look here as well... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=50445
Last edited by Vol Texan on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Darn, I know somewhere on the board there is such a dataset, but here's some that we use on here regularly (there's a million).
These are in no particular order, just off the top of my head.

BG = Bad Guy. GG = Good Guy. IIRC = If I recall correctly. SA = Semi-automatic pistol. HG = Handgun (could be either pistol or revolver).

GSR = Gunshot residue. LEO = Law Enforcement Officer (more respectful than 'cop'). FTE = Failure to Eject.

FTF = Failure to Fire, or Face to Face. POA = Point of Aim. POI = Point of Impact. DRT = Dead Right There. COM = Center of Mass.

ADW = Assault with a Deadly Weapon. YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, to indicate that your experiences or opinions may differ from others.

Mag = Magazine. A mag is not a clip. IWB = In Waistband holster. OWB = Outer Waistband holster. MG = Machine gun. SMG = Submachine gun.

"Rig" - The manner/hardware in which you carry your handgun. It could be an IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, pocket carry, purse carry, or whatever.

FFL = Federal Firearms Licensee I believe, in other words - a legal firearms dealer. Straw buyer = A person who is legal to buy firearms, but
breaks the law by buying firearms for someone who is unable to buy firearms legally.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

fickman

Post by fickman »

Other forums I go to have a sticky for common abbreviations. We could probably add one in the Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions section and just have the OP update the list occasionally as people reply with new ones. That would keep any one person from feeling the burden of finding them all.

Here's a few of the commons ones around here just off the top of my head, feel free to ask any time you aren't sure of one:
IANAL - I am not a lawyer
MWAG - man with a gun
CCW - concealed carry weapon
IWB - inner waistband
OWB - outer waistband
RKBA - right to keep and bear arms
R2KBA - right to keep and bear arms
2A - 2nd Amendment
CC - concealed carry
OC - open carry
LEO - law enforcement officer

Other common ones I see across most forums:
IIRC - if I recall correctly
YMMV - your mileage may vary (as in, you may get different results)
DH / DW / DS / DD - dear husband / dear wife / dear son / dear daughter
Last edited by fickman on Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Native Texian

Setxjeff

Post by Setxjeff »

It would help me greatly. I retired from a paper mill with 38 years of operating experience and 3 different Honeywell DCS (distributive control systems). After the first one they starting including their own TLA (three letter anconyms) dictionary.
You are correct every group,hobby ect. Has their own language.
TSRA Member
M1 Garand Collectors Association

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 1

Post by johncanfield »

And to confuse things SA could also mean single action. DA = double action (you pull the trigger and it cocks the gun.) My Sig 239 and 226 are DA/SA actions.
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

fickman

Post by fickman »

Somebody have the time to compile the lists above (including the forum link to another thread) and start a new Texas CHL Acronym Dictionary thread in Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions? The only other place I thought it might fit is "New to CHL", but this more forum-specific than CHL-specific.

We can ask for it to be sticky-ed and reply when we think of anything missing.
Native Texian

fickman

Post by fickman »

johncanfield wrote:And to confuse things SA could also mean single action. DA = double action (you pull the trigger and it cocks the gun.) My Sig 239 and 226 are DA/SA actions.
And, of course:
DAO = double action only (not to be confused with striker-fired :) )
Native Texian

Topic author
recrisp

Post by recrisp »

I made this to halfway show the abbreviations, and also other stuff, the "other stuff" can be called, "Descriptions" or whatever it is that y'all want to call it.
For instance, at the very bottom I have put the description of, "Straw Buyer", because it is not an abbreviation, but, I believe that a description with this type of information would be a good thing, just not in the same category as the abbreviations.
Things like, "IIRC" is good, but it is a common internet abbreviation, not really a firearms related one, so wherever y'all think that should be placed, or...
For right now, I put this together and see what y'all think, is this on the right track as far as a comprehensible chart?

Let me know what might need to be added or changed, or, if someone else wants to do this, that is fine too, I would just like to see it happen. :) When all is here that needs to be, then if it needs to be a Sticky, that can be done...

Randy

Abbreviations of Firearms Related Terms

BG: Bad Guy
GG: Good Guy
SA: Semi-automatic pistol
HG: Handgun (could be either pistol or revolver)
GSR: Gunshot residue
LEO: Law Enforcement Officer (more respectful than 'cop')
FTE: Failure to Eject
FTF: Failure to Fire, or Face to Face
POA: Point of Aim
POI: Point of Impact
DRT: Dead Right There
COM: Center of Mass
ADW: Assault with a Deadly Weapon
Mag: Magazine. A mag is not a clip
IWB: In Waistband holster
OWB: Outer Waistband holster
MG: Machine gun
SMG: Submachine gun
FFL: Federal Firearms Licensee I believe, in other words - a legal firearms dealer
IANAL: I am not a lawyer
MWAG: man with a gun
CCW: concealed carry weapon
CHL: Concealed Handgun License
CC: concealed carry
OC: open carry
RKBA: right to keep and bear arms
R2KBA: right to keep and bear arms
2A: 2nd Amendment
DAO: double action only (not to be confused with striker-fired
And to confuse things SA could also mean single action.
DA: double action (you pull the trigger and it cocks the gun.)

Descriptions
Straw buyer: A person who is legal to buy firearms, but breaks the law by buying firearms for someone who is unable to buy firearms legally
"Rig": The manner/hardware in which you carry your handgun. It could be an IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, pocket carry, purse carry, or whatever
IIRC: If I recall correctly

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 4&p=464989" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
recrisp

Post by recrisp »

Well, there you go! heheh I thought it odd that there wasn't more of that here .

The thing I see is though, all of that information should be compiled into as small of an area as possible, so that when needed, one doesn't have to go looking all over the place, or, through 3 pages of stuff. At least, that's the way I see this, it doesn't matter how any of y'all want it done really, if that link to the pages of abbreviations is good, that works for me. It's be a lot easier though if this was all in one area, and, hopefully if it is done in a way that is easy to comprehend, and do it quickly, then it would hopefully become a Sticky. I don't speak for Mr. Cotton or any of the moderators either, it's just my newbie opinion. :mrgreen:

Thanks for all of the input though, and if you want me (or someone else) to continue, let me (them) know.

Randy

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Some are highly content dependent. Here's just a few examples.

CC could be conceal carry or campus carry.

DA could be double action or district attorney.

SA could be single action or San Antonio.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

aggie67

Post by aggie67 »

Or SA could be situational awareness!!! My wonderful wife hates all abbreviations as there are so many specific to a job, field of study, or hobby. Me I just use them to keep her heart working.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:Darn, I know somewhere on the board there is such a dataset, but here's some that we use on here regularly (there's a million).
These are in no particular order, just off the top of my head.

BG = Bad Guy. GG = Good Guy. IIRC = If I recall correctly. SA = Semi-automatic pistol. HG = Handgun (could be either pistol or revolver).

GSR = Gunshot residue. LEO = Law Enforcement Officer (more respectful than 'cop'). FTE = Failure to Eject.

FTF = Failure to Fire, or Face to Face. POA = Point of Aim. POI = Point of Impact. DRT = Dead Right There. COM = Center of Mass.

ADW = Assault with a Deadly Weapon. YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, to indicate that your experiences or opinions may differ from others.

Mag = Magazine. A mag is not a clip. IWB = In Waistband holster. OWB = Outer Waistband holster. MG = Machine gun. SMG = Submachine gun.

"Rig" - The manner/hardware in which you carry your handgun. It could be an IWB, OWB, shoulder holster, pocket carry, purse carry, or whatever.

FFL = Federal Firearms Licensee I believe, in other words - a legal firearms dealer. Straw buyer = A person who is legal to buy firearms, but
breaks the law by buying firearms for someone who is unable to buy firearms legally.

SIA = surprise_i'm_armed.
Fixed it for you. "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TEOTWAWKI = the end of the world as we know it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”