Movie theaters

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 1

Movie theaters

Post by Richbirdhunter »

I can fund several movie theaters that I can't carry in, my question is which ones can you carry in? I'm in the lewisville area
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

jamminbutter

Re: Movie theaters

Post by jamminbutter »

Not sure that there is a resource to tell which ones are not posted, though texas3006.com has listings for some which are posted (may not be a 100% inclusive listing).

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

Cinemark theaters don't post 30.06 signs.

AMC theaters usually do, but some of or most of them do not meet the size requirements. Many of those are printed on little 8.5x11 pieces of paper and stuck up somewhere not very obvious.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jimlongley »

I have yet to see a PROPERLY posted movie theater. That said, I avoid those which are posted at all because that (improper) sign tells me that their intent is to harass me if I am found to be carrying, despite the letter of the law, and that they themselves are unwilling to comply with the letter of the law. I card them and go elsewhere, there are plenty of unposted theaters showing the same movies.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

I too live in Lewisville and agree with what he said: "I have yet to see a PROPERLY posted movie theater." With possible exception of Grapevine Mills Mall - which is a no-go here anyway due to the overall attitude in Grapevine and hodge podge of 30.06 signs.

I may have to turn in my man card over this one, but admit going to Cinemark (no signs) at Vista Ridge Mall just last week to see Pitch Perfect II. But hey, scored some good points with The Wife. :cool:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

jimlongley wrote:I have yet to see a PROPERLY posted movie theater. That said, I avoid those which are posted at all because that (improper) sign tells me that their intent is to harass me if I am found to be carrying, despite the letter of the law, and that they themselves are unwilling to comply with the letter of the law. I card them and go elsewhere, there are plenty of unposted theaters showing the same movies.
According to the letter of the law, the extent to which they could harass you, IF YOU WERE CAUGHT CARRYING AND HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?..would be to inform you and ask you to leave. Until they did their job and followed the law, I would carry there with no legal concern whatsoever. Giving a card and leaving is essentially bowing to their inappropriate 30.06 notification.

I am always amazed at how CHLers think they are going to make a statement and change the attitude of places like that. My job is not to change their mind. My desire is to see a movie with everyone else. My right is to do so with everyone else, and to be armed to protect myself and my family in the process of exercising that right. And it is my right to do so until, ACCORDING TO TEXAS LAW, they conform and comply with it to inform me properly according to it.

The best way to deal with those people is to simply ignore their non-compliant attempts to keep you from your Texas given right. We accomplish little or nothing by walking away, and leaving a silly card. They throw the card away and relish in the idea that they prevented another gun carrying fanatic from entering their property...AND DID SO WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO COMPLY WITH THE 30.06 LAW!

My job is not to teach them a lesson. My job is to protect myself and my family in every single square inch of Texas earth I can LEGALLY DO SO. Withholding my little drop in the bucket in money gives me less satisfaction than knowing I am within my legal rights as I am enjoying the movie equiped to defend myself if needed.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Richbirdhunter wrote:I can fund several movie theaters that I can't carry in, my question is which ones can you carry in? I'm in the lewisville area
Harkin in Southlake.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

thetexan wrote:
jimlongley wrote:I have yet to see a PROPERLY posted movie theater. That said, I avoid those which are posted at all because that (improper) sign tells me that their intent is to harass me if I am found to be carrying, despite the letter of the law, and that they themselves are unwilling to comply with the letter of the law. I card them and go elsewhere, there are plenty of unposted theaters showing the same movies.
According to the letter of the law, the extent to which they could harass you, IF YOU WERE CAUGHT CARRYING AND HOW DID THAT HAPPEN?..would be to inform you and ask you to leave. Until they did their job and followed the law, I would carry there with no legal concern whatsoever. Giving a card and leaving is essentially bowing to their inappropriate 30.06 notification.

I am always amazed at how CHLers think they are going to make a statement and change the attitude of places like that. My job is not to change their mind. My desire is to see a movie with everyone else. My right is to do so with everyone else, and to be armed to protect myself and my family in the process of exercising that right. And it is my right to do so until, ACCORDING TO TEXAS LAW, they conform and comply with it to inform me properly according to it.

The best way to deal with those people is to simply ignore their non-compliant attempts to keep you from your Texas given right. We accomplish little or nothing by walking away, and leaving a silly card. They throw the card away and relish in the idea that they prevented another gun carrying fanatic from entering their property...AND DID SO WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO COMPLY WITH THE 30.06 LAW!

My job is not to teach them a lesson. My job is to protect myself and my family in every single square inch of Texas earth I can LEGALLY DO SO. Withholding my little drop in the bucket in money gives me less satisfaction than knowing I am within my legal rights as I am enjoying the movie equiped to defend myself if needed.

tex
I think you are reading something into my statement that isn't there. I am NOT saying that my response to their harassment would be to card them and leave. In the unlikely circumstance that I were caught, in the first place, and they were not properly posted, in the second place, then I would be standing up for my legal right to be there in the improperly posted place because it was improperly posted.

My statement was that I don't bother even going in, posted properly or improperly, I card them and leave, I don't want them to have my money, I can enjoy the movie elsewhere, and each little drop in the bucket is one more drop toward filling it.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

My wife and I met some friends at a movie theatre. There was a made up sign in the ticket window that read No weapons Guns, Knives, Chains. Even though it wasn't a legal sign I told my wife, they don't want my business and I am out of here.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

John Galt wrote:
My wife and I met some friends at a movie theatre. There was a made up sign in the ticket window that read No weapons Guns, Knives, Chains. Even though it wasn't a legal sign I told my wife, they don't want my business and I am out of here.
There are so many places that have that kind of signage. If that's the way you react, I would be surprised if you are able to go into very many places at all.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

C-dub wrote:
John Galt wrote:
There are so many places that have that kind of signage. If that's the way you react, I would be surprised if you are able to go into very many places at all.
I understand what you're saying and considered going in, but at that instant it just ticked me off and I didn't want them to get any of my money. There are other places that I can eagerly spend it.

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Jimlongley,

I knew what you meant. I meant that it is unlikely you would get caught if you are truely carrying concealed. And if you did get caught carrying the most they could do to you is ask you leave. I don't consider that being harassing.

My point is that I refuse to let them drive me off with a non-compliant notice. I would rather prove that I CAN indeed come in under those circumstances than to go somewhere else.

Tex

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

thetexan wrote:Jimlongley,

I knew what you meant. I meant that it is unlikely you would get caught if you are truely carrying concealed. And if you did get caught carrying the most they could do to you is ask you leave. I don't consider that being harassing.

My point is that I refuse to let them drive me off with a non-compliant notice. I would rather prove that I CAN indeed come in under those circumstances than to go somewhere else.

Tex
I don't see it as driving me off, and I choose not to contribute to their profit line by one sou. And I consider (as I said, I wouldn't be there in the first place) any action on their part to ask me to leave based in their improper signage, strictly harassment, as it really has no legal basis.

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

I, too, have been in the Vista Ridge Mall theater and I carried. I avoid all of the other Lewisville area (including Highland Village) ones and go to Grapevine Tinseltown (Cinemark). There may be a small "no guns" decal on the ticket windows outside there but not anything more than that.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Well, I guess between our two methods we'll get the job done.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”