CHL & Your Church

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

ShootDontTalk
Posts in topic: 6

Re: CHL & Your Church

Post by ShootDontTalk »

Before I retired, we had a church buy a nearby lot. They turned out to be a sort-of Cowboy, sort-of Sportsman's Church. They had animal heads mounted on all the walls. I always expected that when the pastor made a great point, the congregants would fire off rounds through the ceiling - ala Old West Hollywood! :shock:
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!
Eli Wallach on concealed carry while taking a bubble bath

Topic author
safety1
Posts in topic: 10

Post by safety1 »

Dad24GreatKids wrote:
safety1 wrote:
jmra wrote:
safety1 wrote:I agree, i won't change his opinion, just as he won't change mine. Let sleeping dogs lie..right?
I do not feel his comment of not feeling it necessary was by any means a directive to me to not carry.
I would love to see a more proactive approach, considering that may not happen. I'll keep my intentions
to myself. I feel like I'm where i need to be and my family feels the same. The urge to educate and
spread the importance of this issue makes me want to enlighten him. What if I was not in attendance?
You don't feel that you are prohibited in any way from carrying which allows you to protect yourself and your family which of course is a good thing.
What do you hope to accomplish beyond members with a CHL being able to carry? Unfortunately current law does not allow for CHLs to form an armed security team without being licensed through the state. So there's no need to pursue that line of conversation. So if you and the other members can legally carry, what is the goal still to be achieved?
I agree! Educations of the facts, but you are right not at the expense of me loosing my right.
If you are trying to educate your pastor, Carl Chinn's book "Evil Invades Sanctuary" is a great resource. Also his website http://www.carlchinn.com. If your church doesn't have a safety program, these resources will help you understand why you need one and how to get started.
Thank you!
We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions. ~ Ronald Reagan ~
NRA - Life Member

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Ask your pastor about South Carolina, I wonder if those people were armed
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

RonW956

Post by RonW956 »

I'll pray right here at home where it's safe.... furthermore if I see a 30.06 sign or posting prohibiting the legal carry, I'll respect that, and turn around & take my bussiness elsewhere......

jmra
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jmra »

Richbirdhunter wrote:Ask your pastor about South Carolina, I wonder if those people were armed
SC law makes church carry illegal without permission from church leadership.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RonW956

Post by RonW956 »

jmra wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:Ask your pastor about South Carolina, I wonder if those people were armed
SC law makes church carry illegal without permission from church leadership.
clear example of how gun free zones dont work.

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

And tragically what can happen to church leadership as well.

How many times does history have to repeat itself before the lesson is learned?

MeMelYup
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MeMelYup »

ShootDontTalk wrote:And tragically what can happen to church leadership as well.

How many times does history have to repeat itself before the lesson is learned?
How many times do people do things exactly the same way expecting the outcome to be different?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by carlson1 »

I have often thought about asking those with back packs to please secure them in their vehicle. More and more people bring back packs into church. I know it want stop all of these shootings, but I wonder if it would at least and it more difficult?

ShootDontTalk

Post by ShootDontTalk »

carlson1 wrote:I have often thought about asking those with back packs to please secure them in their vehicle. More and more people bring back packs into church. I know it want stop all of these shootings, but I wonder if it would at least and it more difficult?
Are your sermons so long that they need to bring a picnic lunch? :lol:

Seriously, I agree. Why, unless they have nursery-age children, do they need a backpack?

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

RonW956 wrote: SC law makes church carry illegal without permission from church leadership.
clear example of how gun free zones dont work.[/quote]

Exactly!

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

safety1 wrote:Of those that have replyed here, do you currently know of any churches that do post 30.06.
Or make notice via verbal or written policy?
Fellowship Church in Grapevine is (or used to be, at any rate) posted with a valid 30.06 sign. Needless to say, I don't attend there.....although I have other reasons for not wanting to.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Rrash

Post by Rrash »

If you carry in church, keep it to yourself. Just like you don't advertise what kind of underwear you're wearing, there is no need to advertise you are legally armed. All it takes is one concerned pastor's wife, one concerned big-time tither, or one concerned mother volunteering in the children's dept. complaining to the pastor/other decision maker(s), and you will be given notice and/or a nice 30.06 sign will appear.

Also, keep in mind that your role is to get you and your family out of an active shooting situation. CHL's are not first responders, and if you act like one, you will complicate the scene and likely get yourself shot by an LEO or another CHL. That being said, if I found myself in that situation, and I had the ambush on a bad guy with a gun, I would take it (but then again, I'm trying to get myself and family out).

If I'm beating a dead horse, I apologize. I haven't read all of the previous comments.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”