Reaching for your ... wallet.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

geoelectro
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reaching for your ... wallet.

Post by geoelectro »

When I got my CHL I changed my wallet situation. I got a small bi-fold ID holder that holds my DL, CHL and two CC's. I can fold a couple of bills in there too. That is carried in my shirt pocket. It's thin enough not to be noticed but easily retrieved.

I still have a wallet in my back pocket that has become my throw-down wallet. I have a few random cards in it and some one dollar bills. I actually have a third wallet stowed in my vehicle that holds more bills and CC's.

So I carry only essential cards and ID's on my person, a throw-down wallet...just in case, and stow a third wallet in the vehicle. I also have a vehicle safe so I can stow my Glock 19 and/or valuables.

If I get pulled over I can simply pull out my ID from my shirt pocket...easy peasy.

Geo
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I had someone tell me that you should make sure your hands are visible and what it in them is safe. Whether it's hands on the top of the wheel with licenses and insurance in them or hands out the window with same things the officer can see that there is not a threat. If it is nighttime turn on the interior lights and always put the keys on the dash.

Obvious, safe, and respectful. Remember, you know that's a LEO walking up but they have no idea who you are.

Max
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Helps to smile also. conveys your intentions. I also keep both hands up on wheel and wait for their directions.
Squirming around gigging out insurance can make them nervous.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

misterlarry

Post by misterlarry »

Don't have a bunch of experience with LEOs but I generally just leave my hands on the steering wheel unless instructed to do otherwise.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

maximus2161

Post by maximus2161 »

mloamiller wrote:I keep my DL and CHL in my wallet - right hip pocket, just past my gun at 3:00. I haven't been stopped since I've had my CHL, but in the past, my normal reaction was to reach for my wallet as soon as I pulled over, so I had my DL and insurance card ready for the officer when he came to my window. Now that I'm wearing a gun, I'm very conscious that it's in near proximity to my wallet.

What do others do in this situation:
1. Reach for the wallet anyway.
2. Don't reach for anything until the LEO asks, then tell them you have a CHL/gun before reaching.
3. Always keep DL and CHL immediately available, not in wallet.
4. Something else.
Its simple for me. Regardless if I was carrying or not, if I was stopped I would have my ID and CHL out along with my insurance before an officer even got to my window (which would be rolled down). If for some reason that didnt happen and an LEO was at my window before I could get it I would explain to him exactly where my wallet is and that I need to get it. Sometimes its in my bag especially when I am wearing gym clothes. So I dont want to start digging through my bag with telling him what I am doing.

Its all about respect for the officer and making his job easier and of course doing what I am legally supposed to doing.

timsatx

Post by timsatx »

I do the same thing regardless of whether I carry a gun or not, with the exception that I don't show them my CHL if I am not carrying.

1) pull over and stop
2) immediately grab my wallet out of my rear pocket
3) roll down window
4) turn off vehicle
5) place hands on steering wheel with wallet
6) wait for the officer to come to my window

If it is dark outside I will also turn on the dome light after I get the wallet. I got a ticket recently and he asked where the weapon was and I told him in my backpack. That was the end of that.

Deltaboy

Post by Deltaboy »

I always have my Paperwork ,DL & CCW out before they get out of the car good. :txflag:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

dac1842

Post by dac1842 »

I read these posts and see over and over again that folks are making simple things difficult.

Simply state to the officer that your are a CHL holder and your wallet is in your right hip pocket and your weapon is on your right side. 9 times out of 10 he will ask you to reach for your wallet, don't pull your gun and he won't pull his.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

timsatx wrote:I do the same thing regardless of whether I carry a gun or not, with the exception that I don't show them my CHL if I am not carrying.

1) pull over and stop
2) immediately grab my wallet out of my rear pocket
3) roll down window
4) turn off vehicle
5) place hands on steering wheel with wallet
6) wait for the officer to come to my window

If it is dark outside I will also turn on the dome light after I get the wallet. I got a ticket recently and he asked where the weapon was and I told him in my backpack. That was the end of that.
:iagree:
This is exactly what an officer sees the vast majority of his stops and should not cause him any alarm whatsoever. If you can't perform this action while carrying your firearm I'd suggest a different method of carry.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Target1911

Post by Target1911 »

Hands in plain view....all interior lights on if dark...
officer. I have a CHL. pistol is holstered right hand side....wallet is in right rear pocket. I do have to reach past my pistol to get to my wallet.

They have always said...not a problem. And I have never had a problem. But I do announce my movement before I move....such as undoing my seatbelt...reaching for my wallet. My movements are slow and cautious.
And every time I have been thanked for my actions.

Driving a wrecker at night I get pulled over too often for various reasons....not just traffic violations
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”