Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AggieMM
Posts in topic: 1

Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by AggieMM »

Well, I figured it would happen in a lot of stores, but didn't think Whataburger would be one on the list. Ugh......

Ryan

Whataburger Issues Directives to Employees Regarding Firearms
http://buzzpo.com/whataburger-issues-di ... -firearms/

Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Whataburger's Gun Policy (Ugh)..........

Post by Texsquatch »

I don't think this is anything new. If you Google you'll find stuff back a few years. I remember reading something in a different forum back in 2013.

But Whataburger sounds good for lunch. On my way, with my legal, licensed, concealed buddy in my pocket.

Middle Age Russ

Post by Middle Age Russ »

Their logic is that a customer (not a uniformed police/peace officer) open carrying a firearm represents a risk to a "safe environment" for team members and customers. My reasoning differs as long as people are behaving in a responsible manner. Even so, I prefer concealed to open carry, and though there is the blanket statement "Whataburger does not want weapons inside our restaurants." there is no legal statement barring concealed carry in Texas that I am aware of. Whataburger simply does not appear to be an "open-carry friendly" establishment, which is of little consequence to me in the grand scheme of things.
Russ
Stay aware and engaged. Awareness buys time; time buys options. Survival may require moving quickly past the Observe, Orient and Decide steps to ACT.
NRA Life Member, CRSO, Basic Pistol, PPITH & PPOTH Instructor, Texas 4-H Certified Pistol & Rifle Coach, Texas LTC Instructor

VMI77
Posts in topic: 15

Post by VMI77 »

The first statement under "response" is a lie.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

As a licensed CC'er, please remind me why I should care about this. :thumbs2:

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

Yep, I saw this on the morning news. First, I rarely go inside when I get Whataburger. Second, if I did go inside, I would carry concealed. This registers as a "meh" on my personal meter. :mrgreen:
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

gljjt
Posts in topic: 11

Post by gljjt »

They don't care about guns. They care about selling hamburgers. I think they believe that OC will negatively impact business and that is probably true. Their carefully worded statement tells the world we don't want guns to impact our business so if you conceal carry we won't know or care. I completely understand what they are doing.

howdy

Post by howdy »

I just had lunch at Whataburger. Concealed is concealed. I think we are going to see lots of this type of request/letter when OC starts.
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

jmra
Posts in topic: 40

Post by jmra »

howdy wrote:I just had lunch at Whataburger. Concealed is concealed. I think we are going to see lots of this type of request/letter when OC starts.
:iagree:
The only thing that surprises me is that people are surprised that companies will request that they not OC.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jim Beaux »

I have a problem here.

Im not a fan of OC & dont plan to ever OC - but the reality is Whataburger is infringing on 2A rights - and some here are ok with it cuz it doesnt directly affect them....AT THIS TIME...

"Then they came for me"
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Oldgringo »

jmra wrote:
howdy wrote:I just had lunch at Whataburger. Concealed is concealed. I think we are going to see lots of this type of request/letter when OC starts.
:iagree:
The only thing that surprises me is that people are surprised that companies will request that they not OC.
I still expect OC to become a non-issue after the first weekend......

gljjt
Posts in topic: 11

Post by gljjt »

Jim Beaux wrote:I have a problem here.

Im not a fan of OC & dont plan to ever OC - but the reality is Whataburger is infringing on 2A rights - and some here are ok with it cuz it doesnt directly affect them....AT THIS TIME...

"Then they came for me"

I hypothesize it does affect them. Look at the flack Target and Starbucks took. They did what they did because it made businesses sense. The anti crowd was stirring up emotion so that it would negatively affect business. They don't set out to infringe on your 2A rights. They want to sell hamburgers and OC is a distraction that they believe can hurt business.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

"Then they came for me"
You may have a problem, but I see it as your understanding of the 2nd amendment and property rights. ...not the stance of a burger joint.

You have a right to own a weapon, and if licensed carry it concealed.. you have NO right to a mediocre burger .. so feel free to carry your weapon .. you can carry it at home on your property, and in many public places, and on others private property unless they inform you otherwise. But the same as you can tell someone to stay off your property, others, even burger joint owners can tell you to stay off thiers.
Personally I would want it no other way.

I never have understood how some 2nd amendment supporters can fail to understand property rights
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

canvasbck
Posts in topic: 7

Post by canvasbck »

"Then they came for me"
I'm sorry, but they are not infringing on my 2A rights. An individual's rights only extend as far as those rights infringing on another's rights. I have the right to keep and bear arms, but not on private property when the owner of said property prohibits firearms on their property.

Before the strawman arguments come out, I also believe that a private business owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason.
"All bleeding eventually stops.......quit whining!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”