Two questions about Vets

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
AEA
Posts in topic: 8

Two questions about Vets

Post by AEA »

I am wondering what was the final on the bill to eliminate the fee for CHL in Texas for Vets. The original bill was for all Vets and somewhere I saw that it was changed to only Vets within 360 days of discharge. Others (like me) would get 50% off. Was that the final?

My second question is the elimination of the Range Qualification for Vets. I understand that was passed some time ago but CHL instructors do not know or do not care about how to document this for DPS and submit it in the application. I don't mind doing the Qualification, but some CHL Instructors/Locations have such large classes that you cannot do it all in one day and have to come back later for the Range Qualification. This is not convenient for someone like me that lives a good distance from the said Range.

So, how will one qualify for these two with DPS and what will we submit?
I assume there will be some provision in the online payment scheme (after Sep 1st) to identify yourself as a Vet?

Just an afterthought, I am already registered with the DPS as a Vietnam Veteran (Plates). So, they already know (or should know) I am a Honorably Discharged Vietnam Veteran and should qualify for both of the above.

I am asking these two questions with regard to my upcoming renewal in December.
Last edited by AEA on Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Liberty
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Two questions about Vets

Post by Liberty »

AEA wrote:I am wondering what was the final on the bill to eliminate the fee for CHL in Texas for Vets. The original bill was for all Vets and somewhere I saw that it was changed to only Vets within 360 days of discharge. Others (like me) would get 50% off. Was that the final?
Thats about it. Except i believe it is 365 days
AEA wrote: My second question is the elimination of the Range Qualification for Vets. I understand that was passed some time ago but CHL instructors do not know or do not care about how to document this for DPS and submit it in the application.
I can not imagine why anyone would not want an opprtunity to fire another 50 rounds down range.
AEA wrote: So, how will one qualify for these two with DPS and what will we submit?
I assume there will be some provision in the online payment scheme to identify yourself as a Vet?

Just an afterthought, I am already registered with the DPS as a Vietnam Veteran (Plates). So, they already know (or should know) I am a Honorably Discharged Vietnam Veteran and should qualify for both of the above.

I am asking about these two with regard to my upcoming renewal in December.
I would take the class before Sept 1 and mail it off on Sept 1st. A copy of your DD214 should be sent in with your packet.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
AEA

Post by AEA »

I made an edit to my post concerning the Range.

My DD214 is already on file with DPS (Plates).

You cannot take the class that far ahead of your renewal date. The earliest date I can renew is around December for a March 08 renewal.

That being said, I do not understand why it would benefit me to take the class before Sep 1st even if I could.
1911's RULE!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

AEA wrote:I made an edit to my post concerning the Range.

You cannot take the class that far ahead of your renewal date. The earliest date I can renew is December for a March 08 renewal.

That being said, I do not understand why it would benefit me to take the class before Sep 1st even if I could.
I was thinking you had to be renewed by December. I think the exemption for qualification is if one had qualified fairly recently like within 2 years or something. This will apply mostly to active service guys.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Topic author
AEA

Post by AEA »

Understood. Sorry I was not originally clear in my renewal date.
Thanks for your response.
1911's RULE!

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

AEA wrote:Understood. Sorry I was not originally clear in my renewal date.
Thanks for your response.
I suspect you will still have to send in a copy of your dd214 though.. One office doesn't necessarily talk to the other. DPS has a copy of our prints but they still make us send in a copy for every renewal. Official policys will formed sometime before Sept 1st. Aren't plates handled by TXDOT and not DPS anyway?
Liberty''s Blog

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Not all Veterans qualify for the exception from the Firearms Proficiency exam. You have to have, within the five years preceding the date of
the person's application for an original or renewed license, as
applicable, completed a course of training in handgun proficiency
or familiarization as part of the person's service with the armed
forces or state military forces.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
AEA

Post by AEA »

OOPS..........

I think you are right about the plates not being handled by DPS.......

Of course the plates are linked to the CHL in TX.

Anyway, I will just stand by and see what happens on the CHL Website after Sept 1st. with regards to the online fee. I will try to find a renewal place that I can do it all in one day (including Range Time).

Thanks again!
1911's RULE!

Target1911
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Target1911 »

AEA wrote:OOPS..........

I will try to find a renewal place that I can do it all in one day (including Range Time).

Thanks again!
I dont know what town you live in, but i took mine in Breckinridge and it was only one day. I had a good time too
DAD, You are missed
6-5-54 ~ 4-16-10
rwhedgeart.com
III% United Patriots of Texas

Topic author
AEA

Post by AEA »

That's a pretty good hike for me. I am in the Gainesville/Sherman area.

This will be my first renewal and since it is a shorter class, possibly everything can be accomplished in the one day even at the busiest places (such as Plano).
1911's RULE!

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Crossfire »

AEA wrote:You cannot take the class that far ahead of your renewal date. The earliest date I can renew is around December for a March 08 renewal.
I used to think that too. But, I recently had a student who needed to take his renewal class more than 6 months in advance due to other circumstances. I emailed DPS to find out if it was possible.

The answer from DPS was: the Renewal TR-100 (the class completion form you get from your instructor) is good for 6 months from the class date. And, you can send in your renewal application 6 months prior to the CHL expiration.

So, if you are careful about the timeframes, you could actually take the renewal class 12 months before your expiration, hold the TR-100 for 6 months, and then send in your application.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
AEA

Post by AEA »

Unfortunately, I cannot be careful about timing on classes, etc.........

I travel Worldwide extensively for work and can be called away without much notice. I have to plan everything I do in advance (which explains the reason for starting this thread), and then even that goes wrong routinely.

Best I can do right now is take it in December sometime and hope I can do that.
1911's RULE!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

AEA wrote:OOPS..........

I think you are right about the plates not being handled by DPS.......

Of course the plates are linked to the CHL in TX.
No, plates are not linked to CHL. Driver Licenses are linked but not plates.

how could they be? Think about it, when you submit your CHL app, you HAVE to list your Texas DL or ID. No where does it ask for your LP number. And when you register your car, they don't enquire if you have a CHL.
*CHL Instructor*

Topic author
AEA

Post by AEA »

I am sorry, but I have to disagree........

I do not know how they are linked but I can tell you for a FACT that they are!

When ANY Texas Police Officer runs your plate on his computer it comes back as "Texas CHL Holder" (or something to that end). He knows you are a CHL Holder even before he approaches your vehicle.

I suspect that when the plate is run and it gives the Registered Owner, then the appropriate Drivers License is referenced which in turn activates the CHL connection and provides the notice to the Officer.
1911's RULE!

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

AEA wrote:I am sorry, but I have to disagree........

I do not know how they are linked but I can tell you for a FACT that they are!

When ANY Texas Police Officer runs your plate on his computer it comes back as "Texas CHL Holder" (or something to that end). He knows you are a CHL Holder even before he approaches your vehicle.

I suspect that when the plate is run and it gives the Registered Owner, then the appropriate Drivers License is referenced which in turn activates the CHL connection and provides the notice to the Officer.
Disagree all you want. Plates are NOT linked to CHL's. IF, the computer system runs the registered owner's Name and cross references with the DL database, THEN the CHL will show as linked to the DL; however, the plate is not automatically linked to the CHL.

And your assertion that ANY Texas Police Officer would get that info is wrong. It is dependant on the design of the system and/or the dispatcher or officer cross referencing before leaving the car.

But just run a standard vehicle 28 (registration) check and NO driver license or CHL information will be returned. Many agencies do not have computer systems that automatically cross-reference the registration database to the DL database.

The TCIC/TLETS system does not cross reference the DL and registration databases.
*CHL Instructor*

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”