Open Carry and the Police

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
dac1842
Posts in topic: 1

Open Carry and the Police

Post by dac1842 »

I read these posts where folks are stressing about how the police will handle open carry.

Every police officer in the state knows about open carry. Most of them will assume that if someone is open carrying they are licensed.

Your bigger problem will be the uninformed public. They will call the police and when that happens the police have no choice but to contact you.

Cut them some slack. If you are really concerned about it, do not open carry.
Personally, after years of open carry as a plain clothes police officer, I see no reason to open carry. That is just my personal opinion.

Beiruty

Re: Open Carry and the Police

Post by Beiruty »

Other than comfort, or when you are in private place, hunting, travelling, or in BBQ "show me what you got" party. You are correct.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

yep - no one needs to know when I'm packing.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Jim Beaux
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jim Beaux »

dac1842 wrote:I read these posts where folks are stressing about how the police will handle open carry.

Every police officer in the state knows about open carry. Most of them will assume that if someone is open carrying they are licensed.

Your bigger problem will be the uninformed public. They will call the police and when that happens the police have no choice but to contact you.

Personally, after years of open carry as a plain clothes police officer, I see no reason to open carry. That is just my personal opinion.
Probably not, if the only complaint is MWG - something that will be legal.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

jason812

Post by jason812 »

jmra wrote:yep - no one needs to know when I'm packing.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 3

Post by cyphertext »

Jim Beaux wrote:
dac1842 wrote:I read these posts where folks are stressing about how the police will handle open carry.

It will only be legal with a license. The police will be obligated to investigate a MWAG, and the only way to confirm that you are licensed will be to contact you.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Folks, dac1842 speaks VOLUMES of common sense & judgement from the perspective of a LEO. Contrary to some people's opinion, there will not be a sudden onslaught of cops coming down on OC people. There will be some, possibly several, but it will turn into a 'non-event' for those already licensed. If you choose to OC, be a good citizen, show him/her your ID, be pleasant and go about your way. After a question or 2, so will they. What's the harm? Nothing but goodwill, I say. And WE have done our small part of advancing our 2A rights. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

cyphertext wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

It will only be legal with a license. The police will be obligated to investigate a MWAG, and the only way to confirm that you are licensed will be to contact you.
LEO's dont stop every passing car to confirm if the drivers are licensed, and there is no need to do so for every OC walking down the street minding his own business. In some cities the PD doesnt have enough manpower to run down everyone who is behaving.

I envision the typical MWG call would consist of the 911 operator asking the caller if the OC is doing anything unusual or threatening. If the caller says no, I dont think the call would be given a priority, even if dispatched.

I dont plan to OC but if I ever did I would be considerate to everyone. We have a responsibility to our fellow gun owners.
“In the world of lies, truth-telling is a hanging offense"
~Unknown

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

cyphertext wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

Police aren't obligated to do anything. The Supreme Court ruled that the police have no duty to protect.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Aren't there 30+states that already allow OC? Do any of these problems actually exist or is it just a problem that we've made up in our minds? I'd like to think that the government entities have done some homework on open carry.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

ralewis

Post by ralewis »

Richbirdhunter wrote:Aren't there 30+states that already allow OC? Do any of these problems actually exist or is it just a problem that we've made up in our minds? I'd like to think that the government entities have done some homework on open carry.
I'm visiting PA for a few weeks, and it's an open carry state as we all know. I saw one person open carrying in a grocery store, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who noticed. FWIW, my brother is a LEO here and says it's almost entirely a non-issue.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

Jim Beaux wrote:
cyphertext wrote:
Jim Beaux wrote:

LEO's dont stop every passing car to confirm if the drivers are licensed, and there is no need to do so for every OC walking down the street minding his own business. In some cities the PD doesnt have enough manpower to run down everyone who is behaving.

I envision the typical MWG call would consist of the 911 operator asking the caller if the OC is doing anything unusual or threatening. If the caller says no, I dont think the call would be given a priority, even if dispatched.

I dont plan to OC but if I ever did I would be considerate to everyone. We have a responsibility to our fellow gun owners.
Has that been the typical response of 911 operators when there has been a MWAG call for someone carrying a long arm, which is legal? I believe they have continued to send an officer to investigate.

cyphertext

Post by cyphertext »

ralewis wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:Aren't there 30+states that already allow OC? Do any of these problems actually exist or is it just a problem that we've made up in our minds? I'd like to think that the government entities have done some homework on open carry.
I'm visiting PA for a few weeks, and it's an open carry state as we all know. I saw one person open carrying in a grocery store, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who noticed. FWIW, my brother is a LEO here and says it's almost entirely a non-issue.
I lived in New Mexico, which was also open carry. However, you never saw anyone carry openly in town... it just wasn't the socially accepted norm. If you tried to carry openly at the mall in Las Cruces, a call to police would be made and you would be asked to leave the mall.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

As deferential as police have generally been to oddballs in kilts with AR15's, I'm not worried about contact with law enforcement.

It will be nice to know that an accidental display of a firearm is not only a recognized oversight, it will no longer be in what might be perceived as a gray area.

A right not practiced is in jeopardy. Not sure how to pull that off, personally, concealed carry is my comfort zone. I'm afraid others will have to be the standard-bearers there.

On a recent trip through Arizona and New Mexico, I didn't see any openly carried handguns. My son saw a guy in a hotel lobby with a sidearm but I missed it. If open carry isn't common, the attitudes, though, seem to be solidly pro-gun and pro-civility. Nice. My cocked and locked Kimber was my silent partner. Like always, it probably felt like the Maytag repairman.

I felt like an American.

Nice.

LikWid
Banned

Post by LikWid »

I've read over and over, that officers will not bother you, unless you're being suspicious or it's investigation to criminal activity. I will open carry at the shops that I frequent, but other than that, I try to keep it concealed at all times. There are times where I reach, and the bottom of my holster is exposed, open carry will allow me to not have to worry about that. I do feel that the public might call officers, but showing your CHL to the responding officer(s) will clear that right up. But of course, you'll have the extremist that will make a scene out of it, fighting that it's their right to carry and not have to show ID...even though the law states you must have a CHL to open carry.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”