Airline Travel With Handgun to CA

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ammoboy2
Posts in topic: 4

Airline Travel With Handgun to CA

Post by ammoboy2 »

I have done the airline transport of a handgun before but have never flown into CA with one. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with flying into San Diego with a handgun. I have an extended trip upcoming and plan to bring a Glock with me. I know the CA issues of transport and the requirements for the airline but was just wondering if there was anything special at the San Diego airport I needed to worry about. I am just flying in and out of San Diego not staying. What is your experience.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Airline Travel With Handgun to CA

Post by baldeagle »

As long as you render it useless, you can take it with you. https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/travel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the whole nightmarish scheme in a nutshell - http://oag.ca.gov/firearms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Yes, I have read what you linked previously. That is why I plan to use a center of mass portable gun safe. I do not need any hassles with CHIPS or other agencies. You never know what you are going to get as a rental car. Thanks for the links.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Remember that only crippled capacity (10 rounds or less) magazines are allowed for law abiding citizens in CA. Normal capacity mags are illegal there unless you possessed them in CA prior to the effective date of the law prohibiting them (1/1/2000). Details here - see #9.

Good luck finding crippled cap mags in Texas. There's no market for them here, and almost no one sells them. You'll probably have to search for them online.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

Last time I went to San Diego I brought my revolver. No problems going in or out.

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Richbirdhunter »

You are supposed to keep the gun and the magazine locked in separate locked containers. No more then 10 rounds. You may not have a loading gun in your car.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

Topic author
ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Yes the no std capacity mags are a pain but I have that covered. I kept some of my Clinton mags for just this possibility. Sounds like there are no major pitfalls than what I had already discovered. It is just good to know that others have traveled this path without issue.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Having lived in San Diego for 45 years, and flown in and out with firearms any number of times, I would tell you to scrupulously observe every law and nuance. Basically, the gun can only be loaded at a shooting range or in your housing, hotel room, motor home, apartment, etc. No magazines of more the 10 rounds. Keep it unloaded and locked in a range bag, case, or similar unless at a range or in your dwelling. IOW, there is really no point in having it.

No CHL permits are recognized, and getting one is impossible for a non resident. Getting one for a resident might be getting easier with the court cases now pending. I was one of only about 1,800 or so who had one in San Diego County when I lived there.

Coming back, make sure nothing in your carry on has anything to do with a firearm, no magazines, even empty. The airline folks are pretty much used to firearm declarations, so follow those procedures exactly when returning from CA.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Which Glock do you have? I may have a 10 round mag we could trade until you get back and then trade back. I live in the dfw area
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

texas-sig

Post by texas-sig »

Wow CA really sucks. You're better off carrying a sling shot. No wait, that might also be illegal.

Topic author
ammoboy2

Post by ammoboy2 »

Richardbirdhunter thanks for the offer but I have the 10 rders covered.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

ammoboy2 wrote:Richardbirdhunter thanks for the offer but I have the 10 rders covered.
Have a great trip!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”