Would You Rather Be Guilty or In Need

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Would you rather be found guilty of violating a 30.06 sign or being in a situation of having to have a firearm and not have one?

Guilty Of Violating The 30.06
48%
Caught In A Situation Of Needing A Firearm And Not Having One
52%

Total votes: 52

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

JRG wrote:Well, I didn't violate a 30.06 sign, but I did violate a "No Weapons" sign, accidentally. We rode the train to Ft. Worth the other day and then caught a bus to the Sundance Square area to eat and attend a movie. I had my new 642 S&W in my pocket. After riding the train to Ft. Worth and getting on the bus, the wife pointed out to me the "No Weapons" sign on the bus. Well, we were an hour and a half away from our house and car. We had no where to offload the 642. I chose to just be as unobtrusive as possible and not get caught. Having ridden public transportation before, this was the first time I had noticed anything about no weapons allowed.

I shall not be taking public transportation again.

Joe
Being owned and operated by local government, public transportation cannot be posted or enforced as 30.06. Every public transportation I can remember ever riding has had a no weapons sign. The signs are safely ignored by a CHLer carrying a concealed handgun. There's no sense boycotting such a service. The Ft. Worth Transportation Authority is not a business, it is a public service. It doesn't care whether you ride or not, and does not lose money from you not riding it. I wouldn't waste my gas driving simply because of a "no weapons" sign on a bus.

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

JRG - I don't think the "No Weapon" sign applies for CHL holders.

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jimlongley »

carlson1 wrote:JRG - I don't think the "No Weapon" sign applies for CHL holders.
Yeah, it only applies to those likely to carry illegally. [/irony]
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

The only places that I go that are posted with 30.06 are medical establishments. I'm not going to refuse to visit someone in the hospital b/c of the 30.06 on the door, nor would I refuse medical treatment for the same reason. Now I do take Mr. Sparky with me (stun gun).

As for 30.06 on businesses, I simply choose to do business elsewhere. I don't go to Taco Cabana or Katy Mills Mall b/c I know these places are posted. Whether their signs are legal or not, Mr. Browning's descendant and I just don't feel welcome.

As for schools, federal buildings, etc. that are always off limits, I leave it in the vehicle. I know I'm taking a risk. Again, Mr. Sparky gets a brief promotion.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Photoman

Post by Photoman »

Obey the law. Why in the world would anyone answer any differently on a public forum? :!:

dpatterson

Post by dpatterson »

+1
If Guns kill people, my keyboard mispells words.....

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Right2Carry »

Photoman wrote:Obey the law. Why in the world would anyone answer any differently on a public forum? :!:
/

IMHO it boils down to a lack of common sense.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

TX Rancher
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TX Rancher »

"Would you rather be found guilty of violating a 30.06 sign or being in a situation of having to have a firearm and not have one?"

Interpreting the question to mean I must enter a place that is legally posted 30.06, and I know a situation will arise where having a firearm is necessary, the obvious answer for me is yes, I would carry. I would rather choose to take my chances with the legal system then be killed or lose a loved one.

But if the intent of the question is do I currently obey the law and enter without a firearm, for example lets pick a courthouse, then the answer is yes, I obey the law and the weapon remains outside.

I agree with the folks who have stated they would avoid 30.06 posted locations, but that isn’t always possible. If you go to the Bastrop County offices to handle things like auto titles and licenses, you have to enter a building that houses the court, so carry is prohibited. The same would be true of course for jury duty. Try telling the judge you didn’t show up since you’re not allowed to carry…

Situations such as happened in the Killeen Luby’s on Oct 16th, 1991 or recently at Virginia Tech are very real, and happen often enough to be of concern, but not enough for me take a chance on the legal system and go armed where it’s forbidden. Avoid the place if possible, and go without a firearm if avoidance is not possible. After all, you still have your pocket folder don’t you…how about a nice umbrella, or possibly a cane…so you’re not really “unarmed� :cool:

Photoman said:

“Obey the law. Why in the world would anyone answer any differently on a public forum?�

Well possibly since I don’t believe in black helicopters from the UN, or conspiracy theories that have the government looking at everything I post on the web.

Also, I don’t believe anything I’ve said violates any laws applicable in Texas, so even if I was important enough for the “Government� to watch me, the info would be useless.

Lets run a little test…�I hereby state that I was the 2nd gunman on the grassy knoll�…

I suspect that I will still be around tomorrow to post on this forum, or any other that I am a member of.

If you are saying that if I were to enter a legally posted 30.06 establishment armed (contrary to the law), and was caught, that my opening comment could be used against me, why would they need it? I clearly broke the law, and my comment on an open forum wouldn’t mater…they got me without it.

I may not always trust my government, but I don't beleive I am targeted by it...time will tell if I'm wrong :shock:

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

NO ONE IS ASKING YOU IF YOU BREAK THE LAW - the question is "Would you rather. . . ? We can IF this thing all day. I am amazed at the bites, goodnight it is just a simple question coming from another thread that made me wonder what I would do - not what I do. There all out to get me. :willynilly: Thanks for the honest post. By the way TXRancher I don't think you are wrong.

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

This reminds me of an episode of Penn and Teller's show on HBO which can't be named here. They interviewed a Texas legislator (sorry, but can't remember her name) who was at the Luby's shooting. She watched both her parents be killed while her handgun sat useless in her car, as she was required to do at the time (before CC). She said she felt cheated by legislators because she was force to obey a "bad law" (her own words) and lost her parents because of it. I'm sure she wasn't the only person there who could have made a difference.

If it's really that much of a struggle to decide what to do, simply avoid 30.06 places since they post out of choice, rather than required by law.
Last edited by Flatland2D on Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JRG

Post by JRG »

Oops, my mistake. Thanks for setting me straight, guys.

Now, how about tonight. My brother in law invited my wife and I to eat with him and his missus tonight at Dallas Athletic Club. I noticed on the front door of the club house was a no firearms allowed sign. Should this be viewed in the same light as a "no weapons" sign in the public transportation area? DAC is a private club. I was not packing tonight, but could I?

Joe

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't carry there.

Besides those places enumerated in the TPC, only a true 30.06 sign can prevent you from carrying.

Right2Carry
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Right2Carry »

TxRancher -
Interpreting the question to mean I must enter a place that is legally posted 30.06, and I know a situation will arise where having a firearm is necessary, the obvious answer for me is yes, I would carry. I would rather choose to take my chances with the legal system then be killed or lose a loved one.
Why would you enter a place you knew beforehand a situation was going to arise that would call for you to use your CH? I am a little dumbfounded by the remark and I hope I have somehow misunderstood what you were trying to say.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Venus Pax wrote: Whether their signs are legal or not, Mr. Browning's descendant and I just don't feel welcome.
Heh, I like that. I guess that means I've got Mr. Browning's youngest. ;-)

DSARGE

Post by DSARGE »

I cannot think of anywhere that's posted that I HAVE to go. If I go into these places, then I put myself in that position to not be armed. It is the law, and I try my best to not break the law in any way. I will not carry or go into a place that is even improperly posted. Don't get me wrong, I feel it's my right to carry, and I do both professionally and recreationally, but regardless of what I think, rules are rules. If I want them changed, I vote and not violate. Good question!
I found the Lord again--although he never lost me!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”