Which State Agencies permit employees to carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ELB
Posts in topic: 20

Re: Which State Agencies permit employees to carry?

Post by ELB »

oljames3, thanks!
USAF 1982-2005

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by JP171 »

oljames3 wrote:
ELB wrote:
JP171 wrote: ...

update! shortly after this original post the TAG changed the weapons policy ALL members, employees and contractors may carry a privately owned firearm while in uniform and on duty. ...
Good! And thanks for the update!

Do you have a link to, or a copy of the new policy?

Thanks again!
https://www.txmf.us/jftx-p15-08-persona ... rms-policy

I've known Major General Nichols since he was a bird colonel (O-6). He is a good officer, leader, and manager. One of the handful of officers I would gladly follow into combat.
this also has a FAQ disbursement if you would like to see it I can post it or a link. not sure if anyone can access it since its in the secure portion of the guard system

J.R.@A&M
Posts in topic: 1

Post by J.R.@A&M »

By virtue of SB11, several state agencies within the Texas A&M University System will (according to announced tentative regs) have largely unfettered concealed carry after August 1. The agencies are Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and Texas A&M AgriLife Research. These agencies are also, technically, institutions of higher learning.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

JP171 wrote:
oljames3 wrote:
ELB wrote:
JP171 wrote: ...

update! shortly after this original post the TAG changed the weapons policy ALL members, employees and contractors may carry a privately owned firearm while in uniform and on duty. ...
Good! And thanks for the update!

Do you have a link to, or a copy of the new policy?

Thanks again!
https://www.txmf.us/jftx-p15-08-persona ... rms-policy

I've known Major General Nichols since he was a bird colonel (O-6). He is a good officer, leader, and manager. One of the handful of officers I would gladly follow into combat.
this also has a FAQ disbursement if you would like to see it I can post it or a link. not sure if anyone can access it since its in the secure portion of the guard system
Please post the FAQ. Thanks.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

J.R.@A&M wrote:By virtue of SB11, several state agencies within the Texas A&M University System will (according to announced tentative regs) have largely unfettered concealed carry after August 1. The agencies are Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and Texas A&M AgriLife Research. These agencies are also, technically, institutions of higher learning.
Ok, sounds like I can carry on their properties, but can their employees also carry?
USAF 1982-2005

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

Thanks. Interesting.
USAF 1982-2005

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

welcome ELB, I am personally glad to see the change. Wearing the uniform makes us targets and not being allowed to defend ourselves always made me nervous

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

JP171 wrote:welcome ELB, I am personally glad to see the change. Wearing the uniform makes us targets and not being allowed to defend ourselves always made me nervous
I didn't realize, until I read the FAQs, that since the policy applies to the whole TMD, it included the Air Guard and Army Guard as well. I was thinking it was only the State Guard. That's pretty good!
USAF 1982-2005

oljames3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by oljames3 »

ELB wrote:
JP171 wrote:welcome ELB, I am personally glad to see the change. Wearing the uniform makes us targets and not being allowed to defend ourselves always made me nervous
I didn't realize, until I read the FAQs, that since the policy applies to the whole TMD, it included the Air Guard and Army Guard as well. I was thinking it was only the State Guard. That's pretty good!
And it applies to civilian visitors, such as retirees. I go to Camp Mabry often.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

oljames3 wrote:
ELB wrote:
And it applies to civilian visitors, such as retirees. I go to Camp Mabry often.
yes it does Cap'n but previously those of us that still wear the uniform were not allowed to carry in uniform at all unless it was our issued weapon from our arms room

srothstein
Posts in topic: 5

Post by srothstein »

Well, it is official now. Comptroller's employees may carry their weapons concealed while on duty, if licensed. A fairly well written policy that basically matches state law with one exception (open carry). They even specifically mentioned allowing carry while in state vehicles, which kind of surprised me (I would have expected it to be ignored totally).

The stated justification against open carry was to avoid confusion between our non-sworn employees and our peace officers. Since they are all plain clothes, I can sort of understand this position. It did mention that the peace officers have a separate policy that they must also obey, as written by the Criminal Investigations Division chief.

This is a big improvement over our previous policy that even disarmed peace officers from other jurisdictions who work for the CPA.
Steve Rothstein

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

srothstein wrote:Well, it is official now. Comptroller's employees may carry their weapons concealed while on duty, if licensed. A fairly well written policy that basically matches state law with one exception (open carry). They even specifically mentioned allowing carry while in state vehicles, which kind of surprised me (I would have expected it to be ignored totally).

The stated justification against open carry was to avoid confusion between our non-sworn employees and our peace officers. Since they are all plain clothes, I can sort of understand this position. It did mention that the peace officers have a separate policy that they must also obey, as written by the Criminal Investigations Division chief.

This is a big improvement over our previous policy that even disarmed peace officers from other jurisdictions who work for the CPA.
I think the Texas Military Department went with no open carry as it does violate our uniform regulations for "in Garrison" requirements for pistol carry

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

srothstein wrote:Well, it is official now. Comptroller's employees may carry their weapons concealed while on duty, if licensed. ....
Excellent news and thanks for the update!
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
ELB

Post by ELB »

J.R.@A&M wrote:By virtue of SB11, several state agencies within the Texas A&M University System will (according to announced tentative regs) have largely unfettered concealed carry after August 1. The agencies are Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and Texas A&M AgriLife Research. These agencies are also, technically, institutions of higher learning.

Hey J.R., did this in fact happen?
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”