An Alcoholic Drink While Carrying

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 1

Re: An Alcoholic Drink While Carrying

Post by Jaguar »

Voice of Reason,

I am the caretaker of my brother who is mentally retarded (grew up with that term and it doesn't bother me.) He is high functioning, healthy, likes beer, lives alone next door, doesn't drive so I take him to the grocery store where he shops for his own groceries and pays with money I manage for him.

If he were to ask for a CHL, or even just a firearm, I would be the one, as his representative payee to allow or deny it - and I would deny it. Not because he is dangerous, indeed he doesn't have a mean bone in his body, but his judgement is not adequate for making those types of decisions. It would likely reflect back on me since I am his "caretaker" and SSDI representative payee. I am not his legal guardian and don't want to be, he can make many of his own decisions and those which he can't he will involve me. However, if I allowed him to purchase firearms I would be morally responsible, if not legally.

I would not rely on the opinion of an instructor, legislator, or judge to make that decision because I have his best interest in mind, and doubt they do.

From what I have seen, most mentally retarded people, those who most of us would assume are not capable of owning or carrying firearms, have people like myself in their lives that prevent them from doing so. I have been around mentally handicapped people my entire life, my brother is retarded, my mom worked with MR clients, my wife worked for the state school, then with MR clients, and as an aid in the school district with special education program. What I have seen is every mentally handicapped person has a caregiver. Some caregivers are more capable than others, but all of them want what is best for them.

Hope this helps.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”