Some places aren't wasting any time on the 30.07 signs

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Some places aren't wasting any time on the 30.07 signs

Post by G.A. Heath »

After the antics of OCT, CATI, and others did you expect places not to post 30.07? Lets face it, if OC had passed without the buildup OCT/CATI/ect. caused we would see 10% of the 30.07 signs we are seeing now and we would see 1% of the new 30.06 postings that we are seeing. To be honest I am surprised we are not seeing current 30.06 signs beside the new language 30.06 signs beside 30.07 signs.

I have had businesses in my area approach me after asking around about "who would know about the new open carry law" so they could ask about keeping "those guys with the AKs and ARs from walking in and running of customers." I advised many of them they can post various signs and clutter up their windows and doors even more than they do now while telling the most law abiding segment of the population they are not welcome in the business because they are part of that most law abiding segment of the population. Then I tell them that they can simply keep an eye out for people who come in and ask them to cover it up or leave if they cause trouble or make them uncomfortable. I then make it clear that if these people refuse to leave then they need to call the police so the trouble maker can go to jail and loose their license. Often I am asked "What if someone just walks in with a gun?" I tell them to "treat them like everyone else unless they cause you problems."

After explaining how the licensing process works, why there are so few criminal convictions of license holders, and the benefits of having a license, along with why having license holders in your business is a good thing I know that none of the business that have approached me going forward with posting any signage, one even took down their faded gun busters sign. I also know that around half of the people who approached me for their business have applied for their CHL and now intended to carry whenever possible. But it is very telling that when I am approached about the signage forr keeping out open carry it's always associated with "those guys with AKs and ARs."
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

winters
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by winters »

jrs_diesel wrote:
Mike S wrote:
jrs_diesel wrote:JSC Federal Credit Union has had the 30.07 signs up since at least early October, maybe even earlier.
It's been awhile since we had to actually go to JSC in person. I'm curious, do they also have 30.06 posted?
They sure did. Right next to each other near the door. I saw them when I tried to get a money order for my fingerprints. I'm not a member so they wouldn't give me one. I stopped at the branch near Ellington Field on Dixie Farm Road.

From what I understand, they have been 30.06 posted for quite some time. The 30.07 sign took me by surprise, considering that one doesn't apply until January.

I have a love hate relationship with jsc over their antigun attitude. The only reason I stay a member is their rates are better then everyone except shell federal credit union; but their service is below terrible. And the fact my family has been a member there for 41 years. I went to school with Mike Browns son and that family is grade A morons; so its pretty easy for me to understand why its ran the way it is.

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

G.A. Heath wrote:After the antics of OCT, CATI, and others did you expect places not to post 30.07? Lets face it, if OC had passed without the buildup OCT/CATI/ect. caused we would see 10% of the 30.07 signs we are seeing now and we would see 1% of the new 30.06 postings that we are seeing. To be honest I am surprised we are not seeing current 30.06 signs beside the new language 30.06 signs beside 30.07 signs.

I have had businesses in my area approach me after asking around about "who would know about the new open carry law" so they could ask about keeping "those guys with the AKs and ARs from walking in and running of customers." I advised many of them they can post various signs and clutter up their windows and doors even more than they do now while telling the most law abiding segment of the population they are not welcome in the business because they are part of that most law abiding segment of the population. Then I tell them that they can simply keep an eye out for people who come in and ask them to cover it up or leave if they cause trouble or make them uncomfortable. I then make it clear that if these people refuse to leave then they need to call the police so the trouble maker can go to jail and loose their license. Often I am asked "What if someone just walks in with a gun?" I tell them to "treat them like everyone else unless they cause you problems."

After explaining how the licensing process works, why there are so few criminal convictions of license holders, and the benefits of having a license, along with why having license holders in your business is a good thing I know that none of the business that have approached me going forward with posting any signage, one even took down their faded gun busters sign. I also know that around half of the people who approached me for their business have applied for their CHL and now intended to carry whenever possible. But it is very telling that when I am approached about the signage forr keeping out open carry it's always associated with "those guys with AKs and ARs."
:iagree:
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

AJSully421 wrote:
The Wall wrote:So if you can't go inside just stand outside. :rules:
And wait for the cops... because you know they will be coming.

If I ever just have one of those days where I feel like sticking it to the man, I might do something like that... Just go stand about a foot in front of some store's 30.07 sign with an OC pistol and just give a blank stare at the sign until the police show up to find out what my problem is.

But that may be misconstrued as "calculating to cause alarm".
Sorry! I was just making a bad joke. A bit of sarcasm. Not something I would do either.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

The Wall wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:
The Wall wrote:So if you can't go inside just stand outside. :rules:
And wait for the cops... because you know they will be coming.

If I ever just have one of those days where I feel like sticking it to the man, I might do something like that... Just go stand about a foot in front of some store's 30.07 sign with an OC pistol and just give a blank stare at the sign until the police show up to find out what my problem is.

But that may be misconstrued as "calculating to cause alarm".
Sorry! I was just making a bad joke. A bit of sarcasm. Not something I would do either.

Oh I know you were. Funniest part is that the store owners would think to themselves "Thank goodness we had that sign!!!!!"
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

G.A. Heath wrote:After the antics of OCT, CATI, and others did you expect places not to post 30.07? Lets face it, if OC had passed without the buildup OCT/CATI/ect. caused we would see 10% of the 30.07 signs we are seeing now and we would see 1% of the new 30.06 postings that we are seeing. To be honest I am surprised we are not seeing current 30.06 signs beside the new language 30.06 signs beside 30.07 signs.

This is dead on point! We are seeing concerted efforts by anti-gun groups and anti-gun Texas legislators hitting the streets and media trying to get businesses to post both 30.07 and 30.06 signs. TPC §30.06 was not on anyone's radar until the OCT tactics put anti-gunners on the search for a way to keep guns out of businesses. If Grisham had stayed out of open-carry and let the NRA and TSRA pass the bill as we did, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Chas.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Yep. I live in a small city, and recently went to a meeting of the citizen's advisory board to our police department. They discussed the pending open carry law, and as a result they plan to begin posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs at all public meetings after 01 January. Previously they weren't posted, although from some of the discussion I suspect they thought the existing law prohibited any citizens from bringing weapons, licensed or not.

I sometimes attend city council and other committee meetings, but thanks to all the attention open carry has brought it looks like I'll have to leave my firearm at home or in the car beginning next year. (sigh)
--
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

This outcome was so utterly predictable. :mad5
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

Tell me if I'm wrong but the 30.06 and 30.07 signs won't stop the rifle carrying idiots anyway will they? It's just for handguns isn't it?
Where are they getting these new signs anyway.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:

This is dead on point! We are seeing concerted efforts by anti-gun groups and anti-gun Texas legislators hitting the streets and media trying to get businesses to post both 30.07 and 30.06 signs. TPC §30.06 was not on anyone's radar until the OCT tactics put anti-gunners on the search for a way to keep guns out of businesses. If Grisham had stayed out of open-carry and let the NRA and TSRA pass the bill as we did, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Chas.
:iagree: I said this since day one. We will see more 30.06 signs than ever. We didn't step forward we have went back two steps.

XDgal

Post by XDgal »

What is cruelly ironic is, neither 30.06 or 30.07 have any barring on the carry of long guns. It is still legal to carry those into businesses. They can be asked to leave and if they don't, they will face a trespassing charge, but the signs won't stop them from entering.
XDgal
XDgal

glockenhand
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by glockenhand »

The irony are some of posts that I have read here. Openly carried handguns are a complete new mode of carry for Texans and the businesses that operate in this state. Of course signs will appear now just as they did at the beginning of concealed carry and then so again once 30.06 arrived. Blaming a single entity or person demonstrates something else entirely and it ain't good.

Topic author
doncb
Posts in topic: 2

Post by doncb »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:This is dead on point! We are seeing concerted efforts by anti-gun groups and anti-gun Texas legislators hitting the streets and media trying to get businesses to post both 30.07 and 30.06 signs. TPC §30.06 was not on anyone's radar until the OCT tactics put anti-gunners on the search for a way to keep guns out of businesses. If Grisham had stayed out of open-carry and let the NRA and TSRA pass the bill as we did, then we wouldn't have this problem.

Chas.
If OCT hadn't acted like a bunch of "south bound end of a north bound mule" we wouldn't see this happening. Prancing around on street corners with long guns (which was already legal as we know). Really? What result did they expect? So now there will be fewer and fewer places to carry. The only resolution I see will be to get laws passed to restrict the places that can bar CC or OCT. What are the odds of that?
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

glockenhand wrote:The irony are some of posts that I have read here. Openly carried handguns are a complete new mode of carry for Texans and the businesses that operate in this state. Of course signs will appear now just as they did at the beginning of concealed carry and then so again once 30.06 arrived. Blaming a single entity or person demonstrates something else entirely and it ain't good.
We'll have to disagree on this one. Yes, small, generic "no guns" decals popped up all over Texas when SB60 passed in 1995. Unlike what OCT claimed, they did not go away when "people got used to citizens carrying guns."

When SB2909 passed in 1997 creating TPC §30.06, we did not see many 30.06 signs. Stores were okay posting small, easy-to-miss decals but they didn't want to post a large sign that was much harder to miss.

Anyone who doubts that OCT and Grisham caused the media and anti-gun groups to focus on ways to keep gun owners out of stores are denying the undeniable. That would be like claiming that Sandy Hook did not cause a new anti-gun push by Bloomberg.

I and many others warned that this would be a problem, if the OCT tactics didn't stop. Those warning fell on deaf ears.

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

glockenhand wrote:Blaming a single entity or person demonstrates something else entirely and it ain't good.
Coming to the defense of the person/entity that have caused Texas gun owners problems while issuing veiled insults to those who opposed those destructive tactics demonstrates much more. Don't do it again. Your goal is to stifle criticism of OCT and/or Grisham and that's not going to happen.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”