Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges.

Post by oljames3 »

(The Treasure of the Sierra Madre)

And we don't have to show any stinkin' badges.

However, this one might look nice hanging on the wall as a memento.

O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Charlies.Contingency

Re: Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges.

Post by Charlies.Contingency »

That's cute. Would be nice momento.
Sent from Iphone: Please IGNORE any grammatical or spelling errors.
ALL of my statements are to be considered opinionated and not factual.

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rex B »

Wear that on your gun belt when you go to the mall on Jan 1.
Be sure to maintain the steely-eyed glare that goes with it.

:smilelol5:
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Rex B wrote:Wear that on your gun belt when you go to the mall on Jan 1.

Yeah, maybe that steely-eyed glare will show up good in the mug shot. :smilelol5:

"Sec. 37.12. FALSE IDENTIFICATION AS PEACE OFFICER; MISREPRESENTATION OF PROPERTY. (a) A person commits an offense if:

(1) the person makes, provides to another person, or possesses a card, document, badge, insignia, shoulder emblem, or other item bearing an insignia of a law enforcement agency that identifies a person as a peace officer or a reserve law enforcement officer; and

(2) the person who makes, provides, or possesses the item bearing the insignia knows that the person so identified by the item is not commissioned as a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer as indicated on the item."

Considering the wording of the law, I might not even want one as a wall hanger, unless I could show that it was part of the decoration of my house.

"(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:

(1) the card, document, badge, insignia, shoulder emblem, or other item bearing an insignia of a law enforcement agency clearly identifies the person as an honorary or junior peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer, or as a member of a junior posse;

(2) the person identified as a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer by the item bearing the insignia was commissioned in that capacity when the item was made; or

(3) the item was used or intended for use exclusively for decorative purposes or in an artistic or dramatic presentation."

Although that does make me think that commissioning a gun belt for OC festooned with little OC badges in the place of conchos might be considered purely decorative. I think I have found what I want for Christmas.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

I'm getting a BEA Badge (Bail Enforcement Agent)...I want to be like Duane "Dog" Chapman the Bounty Hunter! "rlol" (minus the murder conviction :shock: )
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Glockster

Post by Glockster »

jimlongley wrote:
Rex B wrote:Wear that on your gun belt when you go to the mall on Jan 1.

Yeah, maybe that steely-eyed glare will show up good in the mug shot. :smilelol5:

"Sec. 37.12. FALSE IDENTIFICATION AS PEACE OFFICER; MISREPRESENTATION OF PROPERTY. (a) A person commits an offense if:

(1) the person makes, provides to another person, or possesses a card, document, badge, insignia, shoulder emblem, or other item bearing an insignia of a law enforcement agency that identifies a person as a peace officer or a reserve law enforcement officer; and

(2) the person who makes, provides, or possesses the item bearing the insignia knows that the person so identified by the item is not commissioned as a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer as indicated on the item."

Considering the wording of the law, I might not even want one as a wall hanger, unless I could show that it was part of the decoration of my house.

"(b) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that:

(1) the card, document, badge, insignia, shoulder emblem, or other item bearing an insignia of a law enforcement agency clearly identifies the person as an honorary or junior peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer, or as a member of a junior posse;

(2) the person identified as a peace officer or reserve law enforcement officer by the item bearing the insignia was commissioned in that capacity when the item was made; or

(3) the item was used or intended for use exclusively for decorative purposes or in an artistic or dramatic presentation."

Although that does make me think that commissioning a gun belt for OC festooned with little OC badges in the place of conchos might be considered purely decorative. I think I have found what I want for Christmas.
Firstly, let me say that I wouldn't want one and would never advocate wearing one.

However, I don't see how the above fits 37.12 for the simple fact that while it may be a badge or badge-like, it nowhere contains "an insignia of a law enforcement agency."
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Abraham
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Abraham »

CHL Badges are lame...you couldn't give me one.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

no "olive and live oak branches" but it might be mistaken for the "State Arms" or "State Seal"
<sigh>

Probably other laws, but a very fast search came up with:
It should be noted that the State Seal of Texas is a common and traditional design element on many badges worn by Texas law enforcement. http://www.humblepolice.com/badge.php
TEX BC. CODE ANN. § 17.08 : Texas Statutes - Section 17.08: PRIVATE USE OF STATE SEAL
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/BC/2/17/B/17.08
(2) "Representation of the state seal " includes a nonexact representation that the secretary of state determines is deceptively similar to the state seal.

(5) "State seal" means the state seal, the reverse of the state seal, and the state arms as defined by Sections 3101.001 and 3101.002, Government Code.
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/statdoc/seal.shtml
Private use of the state seal, including the state arms and reverse of the state seal, is regulated by law. Persons seeking more information on private use of the state seal should contact the office of the secretary of state

sherlock7

Post by sherlock7 »

Glockster,

I agree with your post. AS long as someone is not representing himself as a LEO I see no harm in having a concealed handgun badge next to your concealed handgun. Remember, its all about intent. As a matter of fact, it might even save your life in a split second confrontation as the police roll upon the scene of a shooting. My opinion only....as we all have one.

USMC
Semper Fi

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I wouldn't mind having something like that on my wallet, not necessarily something I'd wanna display. Like stated, I would be afraid a visible one could be misconstrued as a peace officer badge or me attempting to impersonate one.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

wallet? Who still carries a wallet?
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Would go good with a chl hat :biggrinjester: (Borrowed this one from DocV)
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

I don't see many postive aspects of wearing a badge especially while open carrying. Anyone knows that the public will automatically view you as a LEO. For some people though, that is their goal.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

tlt

Post by tlt »

:iagree:

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

You just gots to have a sash too!

There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”