City Gun Ordinance Sign

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rtschl
Posts in topic: 3

City Gun Ordinance Sign

Post by rtschl »

Went to vote today at polling place, which is at the city library. There was a "No Firearms Allowed" sign with the relevant city ordinance as part of the sign. I did not take a picture because of the polling signs right next to it.

My question: Does this constitute a violation of 411.209? If so, I'll take pictures and notify the city and begin the process.

Thank you.
Ron
NRA Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: City Gun Ordinance Sign

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

No. Polling places are off-limits per Tex. Penal Code §46.03(a)(2) and no sign is required. A city ordinance would violate the Texas preemption statute, but it's still a state law violation.

Chas.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Question is - did they post it because they are using the location as a Polling place, or was it there/will it still be there after polling is done ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
rtschl

Post by rtschl »

Sorry, should have been more clear. The sign is a permanent sticker at the library, not there just because of being a polling location. I understand that no issue for posting a sign at a polling place. But since the polling sign was next to it I didn't take a picture today. I did not want to muddy the waters like I did here.

So if it is still there after today, does it specifically constitute a violation of 411.209?
Ron
NRA Member

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

Simple question.....Does it comply with 30.06?
If not, it might as well be written in Swahili.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 2farnorth »

Timely subject. I plan on doing further inquiries about this one that was on our city hall/polling place/court/post office.
It wasn't there a couple of weeks ago and had never been there on election days in the past. They did just hire a new city manager. Maybe he's dragging out something to get attention.

Last edited by 2farnorth on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N5PNZ

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Unenforceable -- taking into account polling locations areas are always off limits as stated above.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

casp625

Post by casp625 »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:Unenforceable -- taking into account polling locations areas are always off limits as stated above.
So are post offices and courts... Perhaps the building is indeed off limits.

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thatguyoverthere »

As others have stated, this building may indeed be off limits if it contains a post office or courts. Is this building the only "city premises" in the town? If not, it might be interesting to see if other city premises are posted likewise.

It might also be interesting to see the actual wording of the ordinance.

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 2farnorth »

Post office is one end of the building with it's own entrance. City hall is the middle of the building, Court/polling place is one room in city hall. Court convenes only a day or 2 per week. The rest of the time it is a small conference/meeting room. I'll check it out again tomorrow after work. Like I said before. The signs just got put up recently.
N5PNZ

rotor

Post by rotor »

The sign says "per City ordinance 130.04" which would imply that this is strictly a city law that I would bet is not enforceable.

Topic author
rtschl

Post by rtschl »

I understand that the sign is unenforceable. My question is should I document it and notify the city that they are in violation of 411.209? Since it is not a 30.06 sign but a city ordinance, does it still violate 411.209? If it does, I will start the process.
Ron
NRA Member

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

rtschl wrote:I understand that the sign is unenforceable. My question is should I document it and notify the city that they are in violation of 411.209? Since it is not a 30.06 sign but a city ordinance, does it still violate 411.209? If it does, I will start the process.
It references concealed firearms (Handguns) so I would say it is a violation (Wrongful exclusion).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

We vote at the local city library, it's not posted. Can I carry into the library on non-voting days?
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

Richbirdhunter wrote:We vote at the local city library, it's not posted. Can I carry into the library on non-voting days?
Good to go if no voting going on
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”