where would a rifle be prohibited?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

o b juan
Posts in topic: 2

Re: where would a rifle be prohibited?

Post by o b juan »

I am not geared and dumb enough to go out in public with an sbr concealed on my person or exposed, some folks have a lot of time on their hands to ask this.. I am retired and really have lots of time , so I will either go to the gun range or Golf course...
Tell us how it goes down when you do it in todays climate.
Dont wear any black or camouflage :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by txyaloo »

o b juan wrote:I am not geared and dumb enough to go out in public with an sbr concealed on my person or exposed, some folks have a lot of time on their hands to ask this.. I am retired and really have lots of time , so I will either go to the gun range or Golf course...
I'm an 07/02 FFL with a post sample Glock 19 machine gun. The frame is also SBR'd. It's pretty easy to conceal that "rifle" when out and about. I also regularly carry an MP5-K in a laptop bag. I don't think it's dumb to carry either of those when the law permits their carry.

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Beiruty »

txyaloo wrote:
o b juan wrote:I am not geared and dumb enough to go out in public with an sbr concealed on my person or exposed, some folks have a lot of time on their hands to ask this.. I am retired and really have lots of time , so I will either go to the gun range or Golf course...
I'm an 07/02 FFL with a post sample Glock 19 machine gun. The frame is also SBR'd. It's pretty easy to conceal that "rifle" when out and about. I also regularly carry an MP5-K in a laptop bag. I don't think it's dumb to carry either of those when the law permits their carry.
The idea, in a shootout with a bad guy (terrorist for those who like that term). If you carry a rifle, you may be shot and killed by Police just because they deemed you a threat (terrorist) from 70 yrds away.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Feed&Guns
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Feed&Guns »

Beiruty wrote:
txyaloo wrote:
The idea, in a shootout with a bad guy (terrorist for those who like that term). If you carry a rifle, you may be shot and killed by Police just because they deemed you a threat (terrorist) from 70 yrds away.
I'm an 01/03 FFL. Wish I could find a LE agency needing to sample some product!

Ya, you might get shot by police for carrying a rifle. Now, if you carry what looks like a bomb into a school, however, you'll get a free ticket to the white house and maybe $15,000,000 plus a scholarship to MIT.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Texas Certified CHL/LTC Instructor
FFL 01 SOT 3 - www.aparmory.net

VMI77
Posts in topic: 7

Post by VMI77 »

duplicate post deleted
Last edited by VMI77 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

What do you mean by "not geared?" Do you mean you don't have the kind of rifle being discussed in the thread? Who is talking about carrying a rifle exposed or on their person? The thread is directed at carrying a rifle concealed in a computer bag, briefcase, etc...so how is anyone going to know you have it in order for something "to go down in today's climate?" None of the rifles depicted are SBRs.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

o b juan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by o b juan »

The thread says " Where would a rifle be prohibited"

And posters start talking about carrying concealed rifle/sbr

I can read!
CHL Instructor since 95'/ School safety Since Jan 17' :patriot:

HighHandicap
Posts in topic: 3

Post by HighHandicap »

I find the topic of using an SBR as your EDC very interesting.

At this point, over half of my life has been spent training with an AR and I'm much more comfortable and proficient with an AR than I am with any handgun. I've certainly been considering getting a backpack and using that as a way to conceal and SBR for my PDW/EDC. I'll have to ask some of my LEO friends for their thoughts on the topic. I'm sure it would make you an obvious target if you were using it in a defensive scenario with LEO arrived on scene but I wonder what the likelyhood is of us being engaged in a long enough firefight that we'd still have our weapons deployed by the time the LEO's arrived on scene.

Another consideration is, what if it's not a justifiable defense scenario or even if it is? Could the family of the bad guy come after you for a federal violation for using an NFA item during commission of a crime? For that matter, would choosing to use a rifle/SBR/subgun seem to a DA or jury that you were out looking for trouble?

Lots of good thoughts and questions that are probably off topic for this thread but still intriguing to think about.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

HighHandicap wrote:I find the topic of using an SBR as your EDC very interesting.

At this point, over half of my life has been spent training with an AR and I'm much more comfortable and proficient with an AR than I am with any handgun. I've certainly been considering getting a backpack and using that as a way to conceal and SBR for my PDW/EDC. I'll have to ask some of my LEO friends for their thoughts on the topic. I'm sure it would make you an obvious target if you were using it in a defensive scenario with LEO arrived on scene but I wonder what the likelyhood is of us being engaged in a long enough firefight that we'd still have our weapons deployed by the time the LEO's arrived on scene.

Another consideration is, what if it's not a justifiable defense scenario or even if it is? Could the family of the bad guy come after you for a federal violation for using an NFA item during commission of a crime? For that matter, would choosing to use a rifle/SBR/subgun seem to a DA or jury that you were out looking for trouble?

Lots of good thoughts and questions that are probably off topic for this thread but still intriguing to think about.
I have no NFA items and my only interest is in rifles like the Sub2000, not SBRs.But if you owned an SBR and used it during the commission of a crime you'd have a lot more to worry about than someone else's family. However, I don't think there is anything at all illegal about using an NFA item in self-defense. For instance, lots of people have suppressors.....someone breaks into your house and you shoot them with a suppressed handgun I don't see how that could be a problem if you legally own the suppressor.

A DA that is going to prosecute you for defending yourself with a rifle saying you were out looking for trouble is probably going to say you were out looking for trouble because you were carrying a handgun. If it's not a justifiable defense scenario the gun should never come out of the bag, just like it shouldn't come out of your holster if you're CC.

Topic author
NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I had started thinking about this when our Pastor was in a 30.06 hospital, then transferred to a non-30.06 posted hospital, then transferred to another 30.06 posted hospital

Most hospitals have drugs
most drug addicts want them
Most hospitals are PERCEIVED as gun free zones
Terrorists love soft targets

My Tennis racquet case with AK looked out of place in a Hospital
http://www.walmart.com/ip/37384877?wmls ... 71&veh=sem
BlackHawk Diversion Carry Racquet Bag

A "guitar case" looks out of place at Doctors office examination rooms ...
https://www.google.com/search?q=Guitar+ ... 17&dpr=0.9

I just prefer to not have to carry all my knives, tear gasses pepper sprays etc etc etc when the bad guy has a gun in those locations.

If I can't carry my handgun, I'm happy with a carrying a rifle concealed in a computer bag, briefcase, etc. which only gets displayed/used when shots come through the examination room door of the doctor's office and ...
If Successful .... By the time the Police arrive I just have a carrying a rifle concealed in a computer bag, briefcase, etc. they can examine if they want to.

Pistol or Rifle ... Who would, when police arrive, not to reholster or be dumb enough to still have a weapon in hand?

My prior non-Tennis Bag setup of Pepper spray, Knives, and crossbows are of limited use in some situations.
Bad guys bullets can go through doors.
People who can shoot back might live longer.
out looking for trouble?
Nope, No more than if I had my concealed handgun where someone had NOT posted an idiotic 30.06 sign prohibiting ONLY background checked trained law abiding licensees to carry their legal handguns, causing me to have to inconveniently carry my concealed rifle which uses the same magazines as the concealed handgun I'm forced to leave in the car..
Last edited by NotRPB on Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

NotRPB wrote: If I can't carry my handgun, I'm happy with a carrying a rifle concealed in a computer bag, briefcase, etc. which only gets displayed/used when shots come through the examination room door of the doctor's office and ...
If Successful .... By the time the Police arrive I just have a carrying a rifle concealed in a computer bag, briefcase, etc. they can examine if they want to.

Pistol or Rifle ... Who would, when police arrive, not to reholster or be dumb enough to still have a weapon in hand?
Exactly.

HighHandicap

Post by HighHandicap »

VMI77 wrote:
NotRPB wrote: If I can't carry my handgun, I'm happy with a carrying a rifle concealed in a computer bag, briefcase, etc. which only gets displayed/used when shots come through the examination room door of the doctor's office and ...

Exactly.
I carry a backpack almost everywhere I go. I'm a dad so I have all kinds of kids stuff in there and nobody bats an eye. I've been scouring the web for a bag that could handle an SBR but most of them look like rifle bags even though they're supposed to be "discreet". The ones that don't scream rifle bag, are usually just one big pocket and don't have any utility beyond concealing the rifle. I think a tennis racket bag or similar would seem really odd. It's not often that I see folks walking around the mall/wal-mart/dr's office, carrying their rackets.

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

HighHandicap wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

Exactly.
I carry a backpack almost everywhere I go. I'm a dad so I have all kinds of kids stuff in there and nobody bats an eye. I've been scouring the web for a bag that could handle an SBR but most of them look like rifle bags even though they're supposed to be "discreet". The ones that don't scream rifle bag, are usually just one big pocket and don't have any utility beyond concealing the rifle. I think a tennis racket bag or similar would seem really odd. It's not often that I see folks walking around the mall/wal-mart/dr's office, carrying their rackets.
I got a free computer bag a few months ago and it was just sitting around empty because I pretty much only carry my work laptop around anywhere. It's perfect....the gun fits like a glove....it has three full size zippered compartments....one with three pockets that I use for magazines. That leave one compartment for an actual computer and one for the gun.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

HighHandicap wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

Exactly.
I'm getting one of these:
http://www.lawtactical.com/ar_folding_s ... /99312.htm

Pricey yes, but it will make finding a backpack a lot easier.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

HighHandicap

Post by HighHandicap »

jason812 wrote:
HighHandicap wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

Exactly.
I'm getting one of these:
http://www.lawtactical.com/ar_folding_s ... /99312.htm

Pricey yes, but it will make finding a backpack a lot easier.

You would think, but I'm still having a tough time finding a bag that I consider to be acceptable. I currently use a maxpedition sitka and I'm looking for something similar (maybe without all the molle) but about 22"-25" long.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”