CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
JALLEN
Posts in topic: 11

Uh-oh!

Post by JALLEN »

http://bearingarms.com/ill-taking-open- ... -gunpoint/
A man practicing his open carry right was robbed of the gun he was openly carrying.

William Coleman III was robbed of his Walter- brand P22 just after 2:00 a.m. October 4 in Gresham by a young man who asked him for it — and flashed his own weapon as persuasion.

There have been others as well.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

cbr6864r
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Uh-oh!

Post by cbr6864r »

Ill believe it when I see a police report. That being said people are walking around with $700+ phones on their hip everyday with no care. If this is a true story the guy is an idiot and shouldnt carry a sharp stick. First a 22 come on then he buys it that day and carries an untested firearm?

Use common sense I saw a guy yesterday carrying what looked like a Kimber in a leather pancake holster behind his hip cocked and locked. Wouldnt take much to walk up behind him and take it from him. Use some type of retention and carry on side so firearm can be protected with your arm

cheezit
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cheezit »

Oct 2014, its a little out of date.
I have however read other stories

Glockster
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Glockster »

Assuming all said is true...this I think says it all in that some folks are probably not good candidates for OC (or maybe even CC):
That makes you a primary target in almost any conceivable situation, especially if you have the situational awareness of a pickle.
NRA Life Member
My State Rep Hubert won't tell me his position on HB560. How about yours?

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

cbr6864r wrote:Ill believe it when I see a police report. That being said people are walking around with $700+ phones on their hip everyday with no care. If this is a true story the guy is an idiot and shouldnt carry a sharp stick. First a 22 come on then he buys it that day and carries an untested firearm?

Use common sense I saw a guy yesterday carrying what looked like a Kimber in a leather pancake holster behind his hip cocked and locked. Wouldnt take much to walk up behind him and take it from him. Use some type of retention and carry on side so firearm can be protected with your arm
I have no experience as an armed robber, I freely admit, but I would think a stolen loaded pistol is a lot more appealing, and useful, than a swiped phone, which can be traced, disabled, etc.

Your retention system won't matter much when the robber puts a gun in your ribs and demands your gun. Or will you be like Jack Benny, and think about it?
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

JALLEN wrote:
cbr6864r wrote:Ill believe it when I see a police report. That being said people are walking around with $700+ phones on their hip everyday with no care. If this is a true story the guy is an idiot and shouldnt carry a sharp stick. First a 22 come on then he buys it that day and carries an untested firearm?

I have no experience as an armed robber, I freely admit, but I would think a stolen loaded pistol is a lot more appealing, and useful, than a swiped phone, which can be traced, disabled, etc.
The fact that most violent crimes in which guns are involved are committed with stolen guns supports your argument.

Chas.

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

jmra

Post by jmra »

Any links to other more recent events similar to this one? This happened over a year ago and seems to be somewhat of an isolated event. Of course that may be due to OC being so rare in the first place.
I don't plan to OC as a rule but I have friends who plan to do so and would like to forward as much info as possible to at least encourage them to keep their guard up.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

jmra wrote:Any links to other more recent events similar to this one? This happened over a year ago and seems to be somewhat of an isolated event. Of course that may be due to OC being so rare in the first place.
I don't plan to OC as a rule but I have friends who plan to do so and would like to forward as much info as possible to at least encourage them to keep their guard up.
What difference does it make that it ocurred over a year ago, or last week, or 5 years ago?

OC has been practiced in other states for years. Might we learn from their experience?

jmra

Post by jmra »

JALLEN wrote:
jmra wrote:Any links to other more recent events similar to this one? This happened over a year ago and seems to be somewhat of an isolated event. Of course that may be due to OC being so rare in the first place.
What difference does it make that it ocurred over a year ago, or last week, or 5 years ago?

OC has been practiced in other states for years. Might we learn from their experience?
Sure. I was just looking for more examples so that it wouldn't simply be dismissed as an isolated event. I believe that the issue addressed in the story is a real concern which was why I was asking if anyone had information about other occurrences I could forward to my friends.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

RHenriksen

Post by RHenriksen »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
JALLEN wrote:

The fact that most violent crimes in which guns are involved are committed with stolen guns supports your argument.

Chas.
The other thing about firearms that's unique IMO is that they're one type of item that money simply can't buy (through conventional channels, ie, retail) by the criminal element (due to the background check). So I would think thaf they retain more of their value on the street than electronics, watches, etc.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

much ado over nothing. I am sure concealed carriers have also been robbed of their firearms as well. My guess is you have a better chance of being struck by lightning then being robbed of your firearm CCing or OCing. We know criminals pick weak targets and IMHO a criminal has a better chance for success going for someone who appears not to be carrying than someone who is OCing.

Why risk attacking an armed individual when easier prey is available?

Criminals use stolen guns mostly from burglaries of some sort, not guns taken off individuals.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

jmra wrote:
JALLEN wrote:

Sure. I was just looking for more examples so that it wouldn't simply be dismissed as an isolated event. I believe that the issue addressed in the story is a real concern which was why I was asking if anyone had information about other occurrences I could forward to my friends.
http://bearingarms.com/felon-attacks-op ... n-walmart/
A 32-year-old man who was shopping with at least three children at a Yakima Wal-Mart was the victim of an unprovoked assault when a stranger picked up a metal tee-ball bat and struck him, according to Yakima police.

The victim was not injured, but he did have a concealed weapons permit, which he immediately put to use, police said.

A store security officer reported hearing a man in the sporting goods department yelling “Get on the ground!” and found one man pointing a pistol at another, who was lying on the floor.

Police arrived a short time later and arrested the 30-year-old suspect, who remains in Yakima County jail in lieu of $30,000 bail set Monday.

That’s part of the story, but definitely not all of it, or even the most important part. As is so often the case, the real story emerged in the comments to the article, where Brad Walker, who self-identified as the father of the victim, explained that the criminal’s apparent goal was to steal his son’s openly carried Sig Sauer pistol.
It can happen both ways, this shows.
Last edited by JALLEN on Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Right2Carry wrote:much ado over nothing. I am sure concealed carriers have also been robbed of their firearms as well. My guess is you have a better chance of being struck by lightning then being robbed of your firearm CCing or OCing. We know criminals pick weak targets and IMHO a criminal has a better chance for success going for someone who appears not to be carrying than someone who is OCing.

Criminals use stolen guns mostly from burglaries of some sort, not guns taken off individuals.
:iagree: that's why I think OC is better than CC

People are afraid of OC because of the PC
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Topic author
JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Right2Carry wrote:much ado over nothing. I am sure concealed carriers have also been robbed of their firearms as well. My guess is you have a better chance of being struck by lightning then being robbed of your firearm CCing or OCing. We know criminals pick weak targets and IMHO a criminal has a better chance for success going for someone who appears not to be carrying than someone who is OCing.

This makes no sense.

How do you know to rob a gun from a concealed carrier?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”