walmart asking for chl

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Re: walmart asking for chl

Post by Oldgringo »

Everybody boycott WalMart. There, problem solved.

Next?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 39

Post by mojo84 »

So far, from the posts I'm seeing, there are more open carriers not being asked for their LTC. Getting all riled up over this one thing smells of the all or nothing attitude some people have.

If some one doesn't give us exactly what we want when we want it and how we want it, we get upset and disparage them. Just how selfish and narcissistic have we as a society become?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

AZZMIE
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AZZMIE »

bmwrdr wrote:They have no right to do so, it takes a law enforcement official.
Walmart's right to ask to see your CHL is protected by the first amendment, just as well as your right to refuse to show them your CHL is protected by the first amendment. It goes back to freedom of speech. You have every right to ignore the one asking stupid questions. A good reply would be to give him a pocket sized copy of the U.S. constitution in place of the CHL. You have a CHL. That means you are a law abiding American citizen who is intelligent and of man (or woman) of good moral character. He is a Walmart employee asking to see a document that contains very personal information. That means he is either a idiot or a thief. Why else would he want to know where you live and have expensive firearms. Please quote me on this one.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Oldgringo »

AZZMIE wrote:
Walmart's right to ask to see your CHL is protected by the first amendment, just as well as your right to refuse to show them your CHL is protected by the first amendment. It goes back to freedom of speech. You have every right to ignore the one asking stupid questions. A good reply would be to give him a pocket sized copy of the U.S. constitution in place of the CHL. You have a CHL. That means you are a law abiding American citizen who is intelligent and of man (or woman) of good moral character. He is a Walmart employee asking to see a document that contains very personal information. That means he is either a dumbass or a thief. Why else would he want to know where you live and have expensive firearms. Please quote me on this one.
:roll:

TexasFlash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasFlash »

AZZMIE wrote:
Walmart's right to ask to see your CHL is protected by the first amendment, just as well as your right to refuse to show them your CHL is protected by the first amendment. It goes back to freedom of speech. You have every right to ignore the one asking stupid questions. A good reply would be to give him a pocket sized copy of the U.S. constitution in place of the CHL. You have a CHL. That means you are a law abiding American citizen who is intelligent and of man (or woman) of good moral character. He is a Walmart employee asking to see a document that contains very personal information. That means he is either a idiot or a thief. Why else would he want to know where you live and have expensive firearms. Please quote me on this one.
ok, you've been quoted...did you miss the reasons "why else" they (Walmart) might want to see your LTC in the previous posts of this long thread?
:headscratch

Lena
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Lena »

would gladly show them if asked, no problem or wishing to cause one for me or many others
Stay Safe

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JALLEN »

I still don't find any "very personal information" on my CHLs and I have several of them.

My CA permit, now expired, contains the make, model and serial numbers of 3 of my pistols, well, pistols I owned and carried at the time.

They have my address, height, weight and a photo, in the case of the Texas permit, right off my D/L, my D/L number, but nothing that wouldn't be revealed to a mere clerk if I was asked for ID when making a credit card purchase.

This reminds me of the childish resistance to checking receipts at the door, like at Costco, or Walmart sometimes. To hear the howling, you would have thought they were requiring a strip search.

C'mon, men!
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 39

Post by mojo84 »

Weight.

They don't want anyone to see just how bad they lied about their weight.
Last edited by mojo84 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

mojo84 wrote:Weight.

They don't want anyone to just how bad they lied about their weight.
A clerk? Ahahahahahah! :lol: :mrgreen: :smilelol5:

What are they going to say? "285!? You've gotta be 350 at least!"

I'm off by 20 lbs at the moment myself. I've lost about 300 lbs in the last few years. Unfortunately, it was the same 10 lbs over and over.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Your comment made me curious, so I took a look at my D/L and CHL. My D/L has no weight on it, but the CHL does. You might be onto something.

anomie
Posts in topic: 6

Post by anomie »

Heh - I'm less than two pounds over but I dropped 40+ pounds in the last year :mrgreen:
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

baldeagle wrote:
winters wrote:So the police should pull every car over every day to make sure you have a drivers license? It just makes it look like someone who is open carrying is automatically doing something illegal.

Did I say anywhere that I have some right to be in their store? It was ment as a conversation starter.

Its not about that I have any right to be in there store its the fact they are telling the public they think they have some legal right to even ask.

I guess they are willing to accept the liability of one of their employees walking up to someone illegally carrying and possibly get shot over it. Not something I would do.
It's their store. Therefore they have a legal right to ask and to kick your butt to the curb if you get belligerent about it. They have the legal right to confront anyone who enters their store and to ask them to leave if they are uncooperative.

Why is this so hard to understand? You want to enter my house with a gun on your hip? Show me your LTC or start staring down the barrel of my gun. It's MY property. Not yours.
I am glad you posted this. I am starting to get a little frustrated with some people that don’t understand the concept or don’t want to understand the concept.

It is not necessarily tied to their liquor license. Any property owner can tell anyone to leave at any time for any reason or no reason. They can also tell you to never set foot on their property again.

baldeagle could tell you to get off of his property because you are ugly and you better go. :smilelol5:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

mlawler

Post by mlawler »

My issue with Walmart asking to see LTC is that the TABC signage refers to "Unlicensed Possession." Texas does not license possession, it licenses carriage.

baldeagle
Posts in topic: 6

Post by baldeagle »

mlawler wrote:My issue with Walmart asking to see LTC is that the TABC signage refers to "Unlicensed Possession." Texas does not license possession, it licenses carriage.
That's totally irrelevant. They have the right to stop you and ask you for your license. It's THEIR property. If they had no signs at all, they could STILL stop you and ask to see your license. WHY is this so hard to understand? You have NO rights on private property that the property owner doesn't grant you. And just because a store sells products does not make the public property. Public property is property paid for with tax dollars and owned by the public. (Unfortunately far too many in government think government owns it, but they don't. We the people do.)
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

gljjt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gljjt »

mlawler wrote:My issue with Walmart asking to see LTC is that the TABC signage refers to "Unlicensed Possession." Texas does not license possession, it licenses carriage.
Same thing in this context.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”