I now regret that OC passed

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gljjt
Posts in topic: 5

Re: I now regret that OC passed

Post by gljjt »

chuck j wrote:The deal is done , no turning back . Wouldn't make any difference if OC was repealed , the spotlight has been put on us and the public/business's will react . Wait and see what happens but in the meantime uphold the near perfect reputation we have earned . Open Carry Texas tactics to desensitize the public are stupid , everyone here saw how trying to cram carrying a gun down peoples throat worked out . Be a shining example to others that doubt . Much like being a Christian............by example and not threats and cheap talk .

I still have hope that OC will be accepted by the majority of Texans but I knew there would be a rough road to get there . Give it time , anything worth having takes time and effort .
The deal is done, but...... I for one will not be supporting so called constitutional carry in the next session. Although I support unlicensed carry philosophically, I believe the process to get there will actually set the restoration of gun rights back. I think the focus should be full bore on expansion of the number of places where we carry, those now restricted.

BTW, thanks to the militant OC fanatics that don't understand how to achieve progress, my bank is now posted 30.06 and 30.07.

SA_Steve
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SA_Steve »

Are Texas people that much different from Georgia people ?

I ask because in the 14 years I lived in Atlanta (2001-2014) I saw the state-wide preemption gun laws change for the better in 2010 and again in 2014.

There is potential for the Texas laws to continue to evolve for the better given the lack of horrible things happening in Georgia due to highly privileged licensed carriers.

2010 got rid of the prohibition of carrying at a "public gathering" which had been in effect for 140 years - this was a nasty prohibition (a Jim Crow law aimed at black folks) - most any group of folks could be considered a public gathering before 2010

2014 codified the ability to carry in non-secure areas of airports even though it was already legal, even in the country's busiest in Atlanta. Made it a $10 fine to not have your license on you while carrying.

Even before 2010 (and after of course):
OC legal with the GWCL license (which requires no shooting test and is (must) issue by county probate court judges - no central database of licensees)
No mention of holsters
It's a Georgia Weapons Carry License so most any weapon is OK to carry
Cops cannot stop someone to see their license if that is the only reason for the stop

and

Signs carry NO weight (but the business owner/worker folks can ask you to leave) In practice, many gun folks will not patronize places with a gun buster sign on general principles.

I recall that the only prohibited carry places after 2014 are courthouses and churches unless they opt-in for carry. Not an exaggeration at all.

Even legal to carry in the school building when picking up your grade school kid. That's open or concealed carry.

Bars too, how about that ?

So for me the "look at other states" is a good argument for even more future generous carry allowances in the Texas gun law. Look at Georgia.

for reference georgiacarry.org
You may have the last word.

Les Miles
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Les Miles »

gljjt wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:Other states don't have a problem and I have yet to see a new sign anywhere yet. I am starting to think there are a lot of false reports being generated by those with an agenda. Just my opinion. I still think it's much ado over nothing since it's only 5 days into it.
Other states don't have OCT, OCTC...
I really don't understand the hate for OCT. I've also seen people saying OCT wasn't responsible for getting open carry passed. Seems like they were to me. Seems the media thinks so too, seeing as how they keep interviewing CJ Grisham and asking him about it. :txflag:

gljjt
Posts in topic: 5

Post by gljjt »

Les Miles wrote:
gljjt wrote:
Right2Carry wrote:Other states don't have a problem and I have yet to see a new sign anywhere yet. I am starting to think there are a lot of false reports being generated by those with an agenda. Just my opinion. I still think it's much ado over nothing since it's only 5 days into it.
I really don't understand the hate for OCT. I've also seen people saying OCT wasn't responsible for getting open carry passed. Seems like they were to me. Seems the media thinks so too, seeing as how they keep interviewing CJ Grisham and asking him about it. :txflag:
Many legislators have said OCT was a hindrance. OC was passed in spite of OCT. There may be one, but I don't know of any legislators saying OCT helped.

Les Miles

Post by Les Miles »

gljjt wrote:
chuck j wrote:The deal is done , no turning back . Wouldn't make any difference if OC was repealed , the spotlight has been put on us and the public/business's will react . Wait and see what happens but in the meantime uphold the near perfect reputation we have earned . Open Carry Texas tactics to desensitize the public are stupid , everyone here saw how trying to cram carrying a gun down peoples throat worked out . Be a shining example to others that doubt . Much like being a Christian............by example and not threats and cheap talk .

I still have hope that OC will be accepted by the majority of Texans but I knew there would be a rough road to get there . Give it time , anything worth having takes time and effort .
The deal is done, but...... I for one will not be supporting so called constitutional carry in the next session. Although I support unlicensed carry philosophically, I believe the process to get there will actually set the restoration of gun rights back. I think the focus should be full bore on expansion of the number of places where we carry, those now restricted.

BTW, thanks to the militant OC fanatics that don't understand how to achieve progress, my bank is now posted 30.06 and 30.07.
Get a new bank. I wonder if they called Rosa Parks a "militant" for standing up for her rights too? "Now Rosa, just go back to the back of the bus, don't rock the boat, and I promise we will get you a seat at the front of the bus soon. But we have to do it the right way. Ok Rosa?" :txflag:

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ScottDLS »

SA_Steve wrote:Are Texas people that much different from Georgia people ?

I ask because in the 14 years I lived in Atlanta (2001-2014) I saw the state-wide preemption gun laws change for the better in 2010 and again in 2014.

There is potential for the Texas laws to continue to evolve for the better given the lack of horrible things happening in Georgia due to highly privileged licensed carriers.

2010 got rid of the prohibition of carrying at a "public gathering" which had been in effect for 140 years - this was a nasty prohibition (a Jim Crow law aimed at black folks) - most any group of folks could be considered a public gathering before 2010

2014 codified the ability to carry in non-secure areas of airports even though it was already legal, even in the country's busiest in Atlanta. Made it a $10 fine to not have your license on you while carrying.

Even before 2010 (and after of course):
OC legal with the GWCL license (which requires no shooting test and is (must) issue by county probate court judges - no central database of licensees)
No mention of holsters
It's a Georgia Weapons Carry License so most any weapon is OK to carry
Cops cannot stop someone to see their license if that is the only reason for the stop

and

Signs carry NO weight (but the business owner/worker folks can ask you to leave) In practice, many gun folks will not patronize places with a gun buster sign on general principles.

I recall that the only prohibited carry places after 2014 are courthouses and churches unless they opt-in for carry. Not an exaggeration at all.

Even legal to carry in the school building when picking up your grade school kid. That's open or concealed carry.

Bars too, how about that ?

So for me the "look at other states" is a good argument for even more future generous carry allowances in the Texas gun law. Look at Georgia.

for reference georgiacarry.org
\

:iagree:

Thank goodness somebody finally chimed in with some verifiable facts from another state! :tiphat:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Don't throw diesel on the fire. OC is here. It's done. Be polite when you feel the need to question a posted sign. Don't patronize business that post. It is their right to post and my right to take my hard earned money elsewhere.

We really need to stay cohesive here. The small loud group can't drive a stake through the rest of us responsible license holders. Don't turn on each other in frustration! You know how happy it would make the antis to see us fighting with each other? Let's not give them the satisfaction.

It is frustrating to get these notices, but this was going to happen at some point. I don't know if it would have been as loud, but with campus carry there would have been at least a dim spotlight on the issue this year in my opinion.

Let's calmly move forward and maintain that glistening record that we have with the DPS of being the most well behaved law abiding segment of society.

Another way to look for silver lining - how many people that have never been exposed to the issue or have been on the fence will join our cause? I think I saw a tweet the other day about NRA membership increasing with all the hubbub and whatnot. I know my wife has changed her mind drastically on the topic of guns in the last year - and that's no small feat mind you!

Everyone breathe. We are here. It's 2016. Let's put the next foot in front of the last, and make this a non-issue so we can get to 2017 and fight for further expansion of our rights.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TexasTornado

Post by TexasTornado »

mojo84 wrote:Baldeagle, I think it is coming to light just how narcissistic and selfish our society has become. Its not just millennials. It's also so called adults that just care about themselves and have no regard for others and their rights.

Sad times for our country indeed.
Hey now easy on the millennial bashing :smash: some of us would just assume kick back and listen to Tom Petty all while showing you why your smart phone keeps freezing.

:biggrinjester:
"I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could."

NRA Lifetime Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Les Miles wrote:
gljjt wrote:

Get a new bank. I wonder if they called Rosa Parks a "militant" for standing up for her rights too? "Now Rosa, just go back to the back of the bus, don't rock the boat, and I promise we will get you a seat at the front of the bus soon. But we have to do it the right way. Ok Rosa?" :txflag:
The Rosa Parks analogy has been put forth by other Grishanm fanboys, but it didn't sell then and it won't sell now.

Stop and I do mean stop now. It's an insult to Rosa Parks and the entire civil rights movement. Grisham is no Rosa Parks.
Chas.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

TexasTornado wrote:
mojo84 wrote:Baldeagle, I think it is coming to light just how narcissistic and selfish our society has become. Its not just millennials. It's also so called adults that just care about themselves and have no regard for others and their rights.

Sad times for our country indeed.
Hey now easy on the millennial bashing :smash: some of us would just assume kick back and listen to Tom Petty all while showing you why your smart phone keeps freezing.

:biggrinjester:
:iagree: I hate it when people try to say I'm in the millennial generation as well....

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Les Miles wrote:
gljjt wrote:
Well, your post that Grisham was "your dude" speaks volumes. Everyone with legislative/political experience with elected officials knows open-carry was passed in spite of OCT, not because of it. Was Grisham or anyone with OCT invited to the signing ceremony for HB910? Nope, and there's a very good reason -- they almost killed open-carry at least twice during the session.

Grisham gets interviews because the media hates guns and loves to claim some radical is a spokesman for gun owners. In short, they love to see him look like himself.

Chas.

Topic author
baldeagle
Posts in topic: 10

Post by baldeagle »

Unocat wrote:I did a tour in Afghanistan for our rights, freedoms, and to fight back against those that would take them away. I am very surprised at this forum in general, I am new, but I thought I was joining a place where people were interested in advancing our rights as enumerated in our countries founding. However I see a lot of CC only people griefing people who are interested in OC. It is always an interesting human dynamic, that not matter how much alike a group is they always find a way to divide over some issue. It saddens me.
Maybe you should take a little more time to read through the posts and get to know the old timers. I don't know a single person on this forum that has ever been opposed to OC. Some of us have argued about the timing, feeling other issues were more important.

Some of us choose not to do it personally, but that's our choice. What we're objecting to is the strident complaints of OC people who complain about signs that don't comply with the law and how they are expected to comply with the law and so should businesses. What we're objecting to is the people who post hint, hint, nudge, nudge, it's ONLY a class C misdemeanor and a $200 fine to ignore a LEGAL sign when this forum has fought long and hard for doing it the right way - following the law and working through the legislative process to accomplish change. What we're objecting to is the people who expect, no demand, that they should not have to show their license when asked and by God no one but LEOs have the authority to ask them for it. What we're objecting to is people who are now complaining that signs are popping up everywhere as if there was no way that could have been foreseen, when it was stated repeatedly on this forum that it would happen.

To say that this forum isn't interested in advancing our rights is about the most insulting thing you could say. Do you know who Charles Cotton is? Do you have any idea what his accomplishments regarding the 2nd Amendment are? We fought for campus carry for years. I ended up retiring before we finally got it passed.

We have fought to extend our rights for years. Charles Cotton has literally written the laws we presently have. OC would not have passed without Charles' work with the legislature. In the past 20 years licensed gun owners in Texas have amassed an unparalleled record of abiding by the law, proving the anti-gunners false claims about gun carriers wrong. Now, a small but very vocal crowd is running around like bulls in a china shop, riling up the population, demanding rights that they don't even have and insisting that their way is the right way and destroying years and years of hard work.

OC if you want to, but obey the law and act like an adult. Don't destroy 20 years of hard labor through selfishness and ignorance.

For me personally, I'm very angry right now, because I think this behavior is going to make it extremely hard for us to move forward with what for some of us are very cherished goals - the right to carry anywhere a LEO can carry. OC may now make that impossible, especially with the belligerent attitudes of some of the OCers.

As you point out, there is a divide over this issue. But the divide is not a petty one. It's the difference between doing things the right way, the law abiding way, the peaceful way, and doing things by stirring up trouble at every turn, portraying a horrible image for licensed carriers and turning the public against us.
Last edited by baldeagle on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Les Miles wrote:
gljjt wrote:
What can we help you understand about OCT?

Would you like to hear how they showed up to one legislator's office and harass him and refuse to leave when requested? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfxRQRQOTY

How about how they showed up to a restaurant with long guns, and a manager told them that they would need to disarm and created a scene? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og81rso_fNU

How about Kory Watkins with OCTC videoing cops and getting in their way, arguing, making inane statements, and yelling at them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8KLdMfwtqY

or him calling anyone who voted against OC a traitor, and saying that the penalty for being a traitor is death. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMgkqYe7b64

These are only a few examples of why those of us who are regular, everyday gun owners, are not a big fan of them or their tactics.

The media thinks that OCT helped pass it because OCT thinks that they helped pass it, and the reason you keep seeing CJ on TV is that he is a freak show and an attention whore. I don't know if you are aware of this yet or not, but the media don't like to put normal and boring people on the screen... they want to put stuff on tv that grabs attention and gets ratings, CJ meets that criteria, that's why you see him.
Last edited by AJSully421 on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Les Miles

Post by Les Miles »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Les Miles wrote:
gljjt wrote:

The Rosa Parks analogy has been put forth by other Grishanm fanboys, but it didn't sell then and it won't sell now.

Stop and I do mean stop now. It's an insult to Rosa Parks and the entire civil rights movement. Grisham is no Rosa Parks.
Chas.
Charles, why are you attacking me? You can't tell me how to feel about CJ and Rosa. I'm a black man living in East Texas. I know more about racism than you ever will.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Guys, can we take a breather, please? I think everyone is getting super worked up right now and it's not going to help anyone's blood pressure.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”