Pocket Carry: What Do You Do?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
hornetfan63
Posts in topic: 2

Pocket Carry: What Do You Do?

Post by hornetfan63 »

I have a Sig P238 and I am thinking about buying a pocket holster for it. My question is "how you pocket carry in blue jeans?" I have an iPhone that I don't want anything in the pocket with and and gun that I also don't want anything in the pocket with. What do you do about your knife, flashlight and keys?

cyphertext
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pocket Carry: What Do You Do?

Post by cyphertext »

If I am wearing jeans, I don't typically pocket carry. I have found that my Sig P290RS works very well for pocket carry in cargo shorts, but not so much in jeans. I can fit it in my pocket with holster, but I have difficulty drawing from the jeans pocket. So, with jeans, I carry IWB, and usually something a little bigger.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I don't pocket carry very often, but when I do, it's almost always in 5.11 cargo-type pants or my dress slacks with a little more room than my standard-issue Wranglers.

In most any scenario, my layout is pretty much based around tis setup, whether I'm wearing my Wranglers and a T-shirt or my Hickey Freeman:
Flashlight goes in my left-rear pocket, next to my billfold. Knife in the right front pocket. If I have a pocket-carry (or speedloders when I'm carrying a wheelgun) in that pocket, the knife goes to the back pocket, as close to my hip as possible without interfering with my carry rig. Cell phone #1 clipped to the left pocket (externally) in jeans, and clipped to the belt in slacks. Cell phone #2 goes to a shirt pocket, but I rarely actually CARRY both cell phones--I'm either "at work" or "not at work" and switch appropriately.

For what it's worth, I'm right handed. Usually (but not always) if I'm pocket carrying, it's a backup and as such on my support side (left).

But for the reasons you've outlined, I rarely pocket carry, and when I do it's just for that quick trip to the store and back.

I love the IDEA of pocket carry in a good holster, but I haven't come up with a workable EDC solution that works for me.

Probably not much help, but I figured I'd offer my 2 cents worth. I think the key is finding a more-or-less workable BASIC setup, and then modifying situationally as little as possible, at least for the critical items--that way they're close to where you grab for 'em in a bind.

ETA: It's worth noting that when I do pocket carry, it's almost exclusively a NAA mini-revolver in 22mag with a folding grip. Rarely, but occasionally my J-Frame in a good pocket holster that wraps the trigger.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

tms119

Post by tms119 »

Pocket carry of a P238 in jeans ain't too bad, but it can indeed print. I use the nemesis holster. I'm not nearly as worried about a slight print with the new law in place. 9/10, people won't notice and those that do...well they probably are carrying something as well. Otherwise, option B is to class up your wardrobe and grab some slacks at Kohls :-)

SecurityGeek

Post by SecurityGeek »

I find that back pocket carry works well in jeans with the shirt tails worn untucked. Not terribly comfortable if you'll be sitting for any length of time, but it works.
"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"
- S. Paige

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

tms119 wrote:Pocket carry of a P238 in jeans ain't too bad, but it can indeed print. I use the nemesis holster. I'm not nearly as worried about a slight print with the new law in place. 9/10, people won't notice and those that do...well they probably are carrying something as well. Otherwise, option B is to class up your wardrobe and grab some slacks at Kohls :-)
:iagree: Most often pocket carry for me is with jean shorts in the summer and others can definitely tell that there is something in the pocket. It does NOT look like a gun, however. The nemesis hides all of the curves in the gun that would make its outline recognizable.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

I don't pocket carry often and never in jeans. I find the pockets are too small to be comfortable. I'm not a big guy, (5'8" - 150lbs) so the pockets of my jeans typically aren't large enough to be either comfortable or easy to draw. When I do pocket carry, it's in either cargo pants or cargo shorts. LCR in a desantis nemesis in right front. Wallet left front. Knife back right. Cell phone back left. :tiphat:

Tracker

Post by Tracker »

I carry my p238 in a bulldog cell phone holster. I haven't pocket carried since I got the holster. Fiends who know I have an LTC have never questioned it. I've pointed out to them what it was so I assume they think it's for my phone.

Rvrrat14

Post by Rvrrat14 »

Pocket carry my PPK/S in cargo shorts, but not in jeans. I did purchase a Fobus paddle for my PPK/S and it is as small as the pistol. It rides nice on my waistband of anything I wear. These 'pocket pistols' are small enough that a loose fitting shirt hides it well.

jggatlin

Post by jggatlin »

I wouldn't pocket carry in jeans. The way the pockets are sewn makes it hard to get anything out in a hurry. I use pocket carry more for slacks or cargo shorts. Jeans are pretty forgiving for both IWB and OWB carry.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I don't pocket carry unless the other option is no carry. This can happen if plans suddenly change (we decide to go out to eat after a school event), in which case I will grab the J frame I keep in a pocket holster my car. I also have a tactical knife in the car, but it is an either / or situation for me if I am pocket carrying a gun.

Pocket carry in jeans is easy for me. Nothing else goes in the pocket with the weapon. If that means my cell phone gets scratched by my keys, so be it. The J frame is small enough to easily fit my hand on the weapon, in my pocket, if I am in a dangerous situation (like pumping gas). Plus the weapon is curved so that it feels very natural to carry in this manner.

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

hornetfan63 wrote:I have a Sig P238 and I am thinking about buying a pocket holster for it. My question is "how you pocket carry in blue jeans?" I have an iPhone that I don't want anything in the pocket with and and gun that I also don't want anything in the pocket with. What do you do about your knife, flashlight and keys?
Easy my phone goes in my back pocket with my wallet.

That being said I have owned an IWB holster for my P238 for years that I never used until recently. I actually just clip it onto the wasteband with out a belt most of the time now because I got tired of pocket carry rubbing holes in my jeans.

allisji

Post by allisji »

If you want to pocket carry in jeans try out something like this shirt for your wallet, keys phone or whatever...

http://www.511tactical.com/covert-shirt ... mance.html

They have other options as well for extra pockets, and access to a concealed handgun. But here is one where you can carry your wallet in a concealed shirt pocket.

I don't really like pocket carry for the same reason as you. I usually wear blue jeans and carry my keys in the left pocket, phone in the right, and wallet in the back left. The back right is available, however, I wouldn't want to sit on my gun, keys, or phone. I prefer IWB to pocket for that reason. I have a galco pocket holster that I could use when I wear cargo pants/shorts... But normally am in jeans.

hornetfan63 wrote:I have a Sig P238 and I am thinking about buying a pocket holster for it. My question is "how you pocket carry in blue jeans?" I have an iPhone that I don't want anything in the pocket with and and gun that I also don't want anything in the pocket with. What do you do about your knife, flashlight and keys?
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Nano

Post by Nano »

One very good option is a Sneaky Pete holster. Total concealment and comfortable.
NRA Member

para driver

Post by para driver »

wearing cargo pants/shorts available from Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Penny's.... with a Ruger LC9 .. two spare mags.
you can stand there with your hands in your pockets, and fingers on the grip,,,
TOTALLY invisible, and comfortable. TOTALLY..

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”