Another casualty of Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jb2012
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

Post by jb2012 »

parabelum wrote:Guys, this will pass and over time people and businesses will become desensitized to this. It is in the human nature.

This is slowly getting boring to be honest, bickering about spilled milk. This band aid was long overdue to be pulled off. OCT idiots didn't help to say the least, but now is the time to keep pushing, you know...the same way the left fascists push all of us, in the political sense.

What will you do henceforth? That's your own choice and of course.

As for me, I'll keep on carrying, CC and OC if I like.
:iagree: we are barely into our second week of open carry and all of a sudden everyone denounces open carry? Come on this is exactly what the left wing wants; separation in the 2a following. The laws have been made it's over. Over time people WILL desensitize, and I'm sure that signs will eventually start coming down, at least the .06 signs. Bottom line is all of this negativity in our own party is only going to bring negative ramifications towards us. We could instead focus our efforts on calmly and politely educating folks that are against guns and expose the fact that they are an equalizer for us law abiding citizens. I digress

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Oldgringo »

post deleted...what's with all of these duplicate posts?

Richbirdhunter
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Richbirdhunter »

cyphertext wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....

Grapevine PD told me in December that the signs are coming down and that if the mall sees you OCIng they will ask you to cover up or leave.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dhoobler »

Rvrrat14 wrote:As witnessed in several robberies, 30.06/30.07 also let the goblins know where to go!

Sooner or later they all figure it out and become human, whereby they think for themselves.

Patience.....
I think you are giving them way too much credit. If the businesses who are posting 30.06 and 30.07 signs were smart enough to understand a correlation between gun free zones and armed robbery, they would have already understood the well know correlation between gun free zones and mass murders.

I think that a trend of armed robberies at gun free businesses is bound to emerge. I think it is far more likely that the NRA will get the blame.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

bruiser1563
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bruiser1563 »

I now see more 30.06 signs then ever...I probably would've never carried open anyway but now my rights to carry concealed are being restricted more and more every day

OlBill
Posts in topic: 7

Post by OlBill »

LTUME1978 wrote:Richbirdhunter,

You must live in a very isolated part of the state. Here in Houston, once the signs are up, they are not ever going to come down. All open carry did was wake the liberals up in Houston to the fact that they could be putting up signs. I see more signs going up in the tunnels in downtown Houston every day. With every new sign, someone else asks what that is all about and gets the idea that they should post as well.

The lid is off this can of worms and it will never go back. I hope the right to walk around looking like Wyatt Earp is worth it to the open carry folks because a lot of us are loosing our right to concealed carry and it may cost some of us our lives for your privilege to play cowboy.
Wyatt Earp, according to the biography I have, carried concealed, open and went unarmed at times. He also wore a suit and tie a lot when he was in town. He was once disarmed having a pistol concealed in his pocket while refereeing a professional fight.

He and his brother also outlawed concealed and open carry in every town they worked, so they would be the only ones armed.

The people that carry openly respectfully are no more "Wyatt Earp" than the people who concealed carry are Jason Bourne.

Before this January 1st, what were we doing? Hiding our right with a t shirt and hoping the property owner was too ignorant or lazy to exercise his? Look at all the glee here when someone finds an out of compliance sign. Is that something we should be celebrating? Ignorance of the law?

Topic author
LTUME1978
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LTUME1978 »

jb2012,

You folks are missing the point. You may win over some of the "normal" folks but you will never win over the CEOs/lawyers that put up the 30.06 signs for larger corporations (you won't even get access to them to talk with them). Once these (30.06) are up, they are there to stay. Many of these folks (CEOs) in downtown Houston never gave 30.06 a thought because I guess they thought that everyone was like them (not into guns and cc).

I don't know what else I can say, it you don't get it now, you won't ever get it (unless you get moved to an office in downtown Houston and loose all rights to carry).
Last edited by LTUME1978 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

bruiser1563 wrote:I now see more 30.06 signs then ever...I probably would've never carried open anyway but now my rights to carry concealed are being restricted more and more every day
We never had a right to carry on their property. It is a privilege.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JP171 »

OlBill wrote:
bruiser1563 wrote:I now see more 30.06 signs then ever...I probably would've never carried open anyway but now my rights to carry concealed are being restricted more and more every day
we have never had a "right" to even go on their property at all, the carry is a right not a privilege. the privilege is we can go on to the property

parabelum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by parabelum »

Just thought about this...if we, the polite OC/CC community folks choose to CC only, and suppose that the ONLY OC interaction businesses see are with OCT ilk, y'all think that's good,bad or indifferent to our 2A cause.
Just thinking....
Sorry if it's a reducto ad absurdum thinking...

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

JP171 wrote:
OlBill wrote:
we have never had a "right" to even go on their property at all, the carry is a right not a privilege. the privilege is we can go on to the property
I stand corrected.

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

parabelum wrote:Just thought about this...if we, the polite OC/CC community folks choose to CC only, and suppose that the ONLY OC interaction businesses see are with OCT ilk, y'all think that's good,bad or indifferent to our 2A cause.
Just thinking....
Sorry if it's a reducto ad absurdum thinking...
Certainly worth considering, but I don't think the distinction will be made by the nay sayers.

jed

Post by jed »

JP171 wrote:I think that the reason we are seeing more signs is that the 30.07 and OC occurred at the same time, when 30.06 was introduced it was a non event and went under the radar because it didn't happen at the same time as CC was allowed. The Anti's have taken this and run with it and yes even lie about the need for the signs to create a hostile environment for all carry and all this bickering we are doing is helping their cause :banghead:
I don't think we can blame the anti's any more than we can blame OCT for the 30.07 postings and the increase of 30.06 postings. The local PDs with their info meetings did the most damage. They made EVERY business aware of 30.07 and hence 30.06. If you look at OC from a business owner's view (not pro or anti gun but a neutral view of guns), they simply do not want people walking around their business OCing. After all, it is their business not ours. This is not a difficult concept to comprehend.

Our best option is to educate these businesses with a polite, informative and non aggressive approach. There's not enough of us to threaten them financially with taking our business elsewhere, they probably couldn't care less. Now, that being said (did I just use that phrase?), I am suggesting CC education. I am not sure we can convince businesses that OC won't scare off their other customers.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

jed wrote:
JP171 wrote:I think that the reason we are seeing more signs is that the 30.07 and OC occurred at the same time, when 30.06 was introduced it was a non event and went under the radar because it didn't happen at the same time as CC was allowed. The Anti's have taken this and run with it and yes even lie about the need for the signs to create a hostile environment for all carry and all this bickering we are doing is helping their cause :banghead:
I don't think we can blame the anti's any more than we can blame OCT for the 30.07 postings and the increase of 30.06 postings. The local PDs with their info meetings did the most damage. They made EVERY business aware of 30.07 and hence 30.06. If you look at OC from a business owner's view (not pro or anti gun but a neutral view of guns), they simply do not want people walking around their business OCing. After all, it is their business not ours. This is not a difficult concept to comprehend.

Our best option is to educate these businesses with a polite, informative and non aggressive approach. There's not enough of us to threaten them financially with taking our business elsewhere, they probably couldn't care less. Now, that being said (did I just use that phrase?), I am suggesting CC education. I am not sure we can convince businesses that OC won't scare off their other customers.
Great post.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

jed wrote:

Great post.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”