Another casualty of Open Carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 10657
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#16

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:29 am

Duplicate post deleted

User avatar

Oldgringo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 9
Posts: 10657
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:15 pm
Location: Pineywoods of east Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#17

Post by Oldgringo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:30 am

duplicate post deleted

User avatar

Lynyrd
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1071
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:20 am
Location: East Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#18

Post by Lynyrd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:31 am

I would LOVE to OC everywhere I go. The fact is, it makes some people uncomfortable. Time may change that, but it will take years, not weeks or months. I want the freedom to exercise my God given rights as much as the next man. But, it's the minds of the masses that have to be won over. In the meantime, please remember that most all of the places we go outside our homes is still PRIVATE PROPERTY. Owned by individuals whose thinking and mindset will determine whether or not they want to allow strangers to carry guns into their place of business.
Do what you say you're gonna do.


philbo
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 449
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:36 am
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#19

Post by philbo » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:38 am

:iagree:

Same thing happened to my office building this week in Houston as well. A building that had never been posted suddenly posted both 30.60/30.07 signs this week. Places that were not concerned previously are taking sides because of the recent publicity. Hope it gets better, but in the short term the blow-back is making one wonder why they pushed so hard for OC?
Last edited by philbo on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#20

Post by Richbirdhunter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:41 am

LTUME1978 wrote:Richbirdhunter,

You must live in a very isolated part of the state. Here in Houston, once the signs are up, they are not ever going to come down. All open carry did was wake the liberals up in Houston to the fact that they could be putting up signs. I see more signs going up in the tunnels in downtown Houston every day. With every new sign, someone else asks what that is all about and gets the idea that they should post as well.

The lid is off this can of worms and it will never go back. I hope the right to walk around looking like Wyatt Earp is worth it to the open carry folks because a lot of us are loosing our right to concealed carry and it may cost some of us our lives for your privilege to play cowboy.

I sent you a DM of where I live. It's deep in the heart of suburbia
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

User avatar

parabelum
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 1865
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:22 pm

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#21

Post by parabelum » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:42 am

Guys, this will pass and over time people and businesses will become desensitized to this. It is in the human nature.

This is slowly getting boring to be honest, bickering about spilled milk. This band aid was long overdue to be pulled off. OCT idiots didn't help to say the least, but now is the time to keep pushing, you know...the same way the left fascists push all of us, in the political sense.

What will you do henceforth? That's your own choice and of course.

As for me, I'll keep on carrying, CC and OC if I like.
III%


dhoobler
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 4
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:58 pm
Location: Friendswood, TX

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#22

Post by dhoobler » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:51 am

Richbirdhunter wrote:
Whether you do it or not isn't important, it's the fact that we can do it. Peoples fears will subside and we will find a new normal.
People's fear of concealed carry has had 20 years to subside. Given the number of new 30.06 signs, where none were present before, people's fear of concealed carry has not subsided at all since 1996. I see no reason to expect fear of open carry to subside.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

User avatar

Mel
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:47 pm
Location: Farmersville, TX

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#23

Post by Mel » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:35 am

Richbirdhunter wrote:
Lynyrd wrote:The only advantage I see to OC is comfort. You can dress more comfortably. I see lots of disadvantages, and new we are seeing a lot of backlash.
Whether you do it or not isn't important, it's the fact that we can do it. Peoples fears will subside and we will find a new normal.
And that "new normal" will be many fewer places we can protect ourselves. Once up, the signs will NOT come down.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.


JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 1406
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:47 am
Location: San Leon Texas

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#24

Post by JP171 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:53 am

I think that the reason we are seeing more signs is that the 30.07 and OC occurred at the same time, when 30.06 was introduced it was a non event and went under the radar because it didn't happen at the same time as CC was allowed. The Anti's have taken this and run with it and yes even lie about the need for the signs to create a hostile environment for all carry and all this bickering we are doing is helping their cause :banghead:


Rvrrat14
Member
Posts in topic: 3
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:05 am
Location: Central Texas Area

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#25

Post by Rvrrat14 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:11 pm

As witnessed in several robberies, 30.06/30.07 also let the goblins know where to go!

Sooner or later they all figure it out and become human, whereby they think for themselves.

Patience.....


ttownsig
Junior Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:49 pm

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#26

Post by ttownsig » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:34 pm

I agree with the OP. I have yet to see anyone OC and believe this may hurt our ability to csrty almost anywhere now. I just gat an email from one of my bosses talking about open carry and 30.07. We never had any official or unofficial emails concerning concealed carry in my 15 years here. I believe prior to OC it was font ask don't tell don't show. But now that guns are in in the open people are freaking out and listening to all the left wing gibberish


anomie
Member
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:42 am

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#27

Post by anomie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:48 pm

bmwrdr wrote:[Before the OC movement started everything went smooth, now we see more and more 30.06 signs erected then before. That leads me to the conclusion we don't really gain freedom b but rather loose what we had.
I don't think I agree with characterizing it as 'losing freedom'.

It does suck, but in a big picture (imho), they had the ability to prohibit both before and after (which is fine, because it's their property). Someone prohibiting something on their property isn't taking away someone else's freedom.

Now, that said, I don't like or agree with open-to-the-public businesses posting, and to the extend that it's practical (if every place to buy groceries ends up posting, I still have to buy groceries *somewhere*), I'm just not going to give my business to places that are posted, whether I'm carrying or not.
You can have an attitude
or you can carry a gun
but you can't do both
-- unknown (If you have any information on the origination of this quote, please let me know)

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 14
Posts: 23665
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#28

Post by The Annoyed Man » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:51 pm

Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy


Richbirdhunter
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 15
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon May 18, 2015 7:45 pm
Location: DFW Denton County

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#29

Post by Richbirdhunter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:54 pm

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.


cyphertext
Senior Member
Posts in topic: 7
Posts: 585
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Another casualty of Open Carry

#30

Post by cyphertext » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:58 pm

Richbirdhunter wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Richbirdhunter wrote:So you guys have no appreciation for this restored freedom? Would you rather the government take it away again for another 125 years? Grapevine mills mall has been posted 30.06 for years and now they aren't posted at all.

Freedom scares people, we have been told it's ok to lose freedom for safety. What freedoms are you willing to give up for safety? We have the patriot act, Obamacare, "common sense" gun laws. All of these things make us safer. Do you feel free?
Are you absolutely certain about this? GVM has famously been posted for years, and as recently as last month it was STILL posted. The parent company is extremely anti-gun, and it would surprise the heck out of me if they removed all the signs.
I haven't stopped by to check but another forum member said he checked and he could see where the signs where. That also coincides with what Grapevine PD told me.
I'm betting the new signs haven't come in yet....

Locked

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”