I got a 30.06 sign removed!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
imkopaka
Posts in topic: 3

I got a 30.06 sign removed!

Post by imkopaka »

Here in Lamesa, we only have two grocery stores. I was dismayed when I discovered that one of them, Claiborne's Thriftway, erected 30.06 and 30.07 signs at the beginning of the year. Obviously I'm not going to give my business to someone who won't let me carry, but I couldn't just stop going. I had to make sure they knew I wasn't going, and that they understood why. I sent the attached letter to the owner and a week later the 30.06 sign came down! Feel free to alter and use this letter to your liking, and maybe you can start affecting change where you live!

Before you ask: yes, I did support their choice to restrict open carry. As a student of business I am beginning to understand the factors that go into a decision like that. While I would never restrict legal carry in a business I owned, I understand the desire to accommodate the customers who are uncomfortable around guns. It was a business decision. It wasn't personal. On the other hand, restricting concealed carry does not benefit anyone and it makes an enemy of every legal gun carrier. If you want to remove the language from the letter that marginalizes their decision to restrict open carry, feel free.
Attachments
Letter to Claiborne's RE- handguns - Copy.docx
(26.28 KiB) Downloaded 1048 times

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I got a 30.06 sign removed!

Post by Vol Texan »

Nicely done.

I see this is your first post, and it was a good one. Welcome to the forum.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

:patriot:
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Richbirdhunter

Post by Richbirdhunter »

Victory!
Disclaimer: Anything I state can not be applied to 100% of all situations. Sometimes it's ok to speak in general terms.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Vol Texan wrote:Nicely done.

I see this is your first post, and it was a good one. Welcome to the forum.
Ditto. Well done.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

fickman

Post by fickman »

Well done and welcome aboard. From the tone of the letter, I'm sure you'll fit in here quite nicely. :tiphat:
Native Texian

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

imkopaka wrote:Here in Lamesa, we only have two grocery stores. I was dismayed when I discovered that one of them, Claiborne's Thriftway, erected 30.06 and 30.07 signs at the beginning of the year. Obviously I'm not going to give my business to someone who won't let me carry, but I couldn't just stop going. I had to make sure they knew I wasn't going, and that they understood why. I sent the attached letter to the owner and a week later the 30.06 sign came down! Feel free to alter and use this letter to your liking, and maybe you can start affecting change where you live!

Before you ask: yes, I did support their choice to restrict open carry. As a student of business I am beginning to understand the factors that go into a decision like that. While I would never restrict legal carry in a business I owned, I understand the desire to accommodate the customers who are uncomfortable around guns. It was a business decision. It wasn't personal. On the other hand, restricting concealed carry does not benefit anyone and it makes an enemy of every legal gun carrier. If you want to remove the language from the letter that marginalizes their decision to restrict open carry, feel free.
And, imkopaka updated the Texas3006 entry. Good job! :thewave
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

:tiphat: Well done and welcome.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

Awesome! Well written letter. I saved a copy for use should I need it. I haven't seen a lot of 30.06 signs around Arlington, but I've seen a few. Unfortunately, most of them I know to be dictated by a corporation, not decided at the store level.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Well done and welcome to our on line community
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Seabear

Post by Seabear »

Nicely done, however I would refrain from speaking for all license holders when you say. "Handgun License holders are safe, legal, knowledgeable, proficient, and are willing to jump into the line of fire to help others."

and "First, it has cost you the peace of mind that comes from knowing there are people in your store who can and will protect you if the worst should come about and a criminal with a gun comes to do evil.

Although some will, I doubt we can say that all will, and I think these lines make it sound like we are looking for a gun fight. Just my opinion and you know everyone has one. :tiphat:
Carry safe and carry when and where you can. I'm just sayin'.

majorr

Post by majorr »

Well written!!

Abraham
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Abraham »

Seabear,

Great job and thanks for getting the 30.06 sign removed.

Seabear is spot on.

Please, not all of us are willing to jump into the line of fire to help others. If in the effort to protect me and mine, I happen to help others great, but I'm not a police officer mandated to save the public at large just because I happen to have an LTC and a gun.

You also posted "... the peace of mind that comes from knowing there are people in your store who can and will protect you if the worst should come about and a criminal with a gun comes to do evil.

Please, speak for yourself. "Can and will protect you"?

Nope, I'm not under any obligation to make that come true.

At the risk of being redundant: I chose to get an LTC, training, bought a pistol, ammo and take the time to go the range. If others choose not to, I'm not obligated to save them as they could've gotten an LTC, a gun, training, etc.

If they chose not to, they have to live with the consequences. I'm not a police officer or their on the spot bacon saver.

I think some folks are under the misguided perception us LTCers are quasi-law enforcement.
Not only are we not, we're not morally obligated to save the public at large.

mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Abraham wrote: You also posted "... the peace of mind that comes from knowing there are people in your store who can and will protect you if the worst should come about and a criminal with a gun comes to do evil.

Please, speak for yourself. "Can and will protect you"?

Nope, I'm not under any obligation to make that come true.
Absolutely. I don't subscribe to the "sheepdog" mentality outside of myself and immediate family & friends. As selfish as it may sound, I'm not in the business of putting myself in danger to help others. If myself or my family/friends happen to be in danger as well, I will rise to the call, but not without that stipulation.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Great Job!!

I have downloaded a copy of your letter and will use it if I run across a similar situation (edited of course) I think that so many people are confused or have been misinformed regarding signage that they don't even realize that by posting both signs they are actually banning any type of legal carry in their establishments. :cheers2: :thewave
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”