Travel to San Antonio

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

para driver
Posts in topic: 1

Post by para driver »

took the family their last year, and had one or two 'crazies' say something in passing. Can't say I felt threatened but was ready to go 'red' once or twice if they got any closer. Fair climate, lot's of little holes to hide in, plenty of street people who are obviously sleeping under the stars.

IIRC the convention center is 30.06 posted.

Hoppes
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Hoppes »

para driver wrote:took the family their last year, and had one or two 'crazies' say something in passing. Can't say I felt threatened but was ready to go 'red' once or twice if they got any closer. Fair climate, lot's of little holes to hide in, plenty of street people who are obviously sleeping under the stars.

IIRC the convention center is 30.06 posted.
I attend monthly professional meetings in San Antonio. Last fall at Dave and Buster's, I was approached by a guy that could not speak english and his hand was in his pocket. I do not carry anything for protection except a legal pocket knife (I suppose you know pocket kives are illegal in San Antonio and I didn't know that until a few days ago.) to date since I had not applied for a concealed carry license.

That guy rushed at me and I could remember "su dinero"Or it sounded like that anyway. I was fast to get moving away from this thug. I looked back and he was accompanied by another standing by a red pickup. They got into the pickup and hauled it out of that parking lot pretty fast.

It is getting bad in many parts of San Antonio. I try to stay away when possible. I hope I never have to go to "red".

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

RubenZ
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RubenZ »

Heres something funny.

I went with my Fiance TWICE to the RW this past Xmas. I felt more UNSAFE there than I did when I went to Chicago.

I'm talking walking around the cities late at night. Theres just something about the River Walk that is Creepy.

Hoppes

Post by Hoppes »

RubenZ wrote:Heres something funny.

I went with my Fiance TWICE to the RW this past Xmas. I felt more UNSAFE there than I did when I went to Chicago.

I'm talking walking around the cities late at night. Theres just something about the River Walk that is Creepy.
You feel more scared on the RW than say... Rush Street in downtown Chicago? I remember it used to be very scary. I don't know about now.

Hoppes
---
The best test of freedom is perhaps less in what we are free to do than in what we are free not to do. - Eric Hoffer
---

RubenZ

Post by RubenZ »

Hoppes wrote:
RubenZ wrote:Heres something funny.

You feel more scared on the RW than say... Rush Street in downtown Chicago? I remember it used to be very scary. I don't know about now.

Hoppes
Don't know what parts I was in. But we were Downtown at the Sheraton. Was there 4 days for a conference and we pretty much stayed along Mich. Ave. and the main areas by the John Hancock tower etc.

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

Hoppes wrote:You feel more scared on the RW than say... Rush Street in downtown Chicago? I remember it used to be very scary. I don't know about now.
I feel qualified to answer that question.

The Riverwalk has a lot of dark places with few people around. Someone with ill intent could bop you on the head and dump you in the water without being seen (they might be caught on a camera, but that would do you little good).

Rush Street is brightly lighted, flat, straight, busy, and has a police presence (some undercover). Certainly there are shady characters, but they are more interested in hustling than outright violence.

That said, I have been on the Riverwalk at night and didn't feel particularly threatened.

- Jim

RubenZ

Post by RubenZ »

ya thats the thing. Chicago was well lit up at night and had security everywhere. Also, there is a lot avg citizens and tourist walking around at all hours of the night.

At the RW on the other hand, it gets pretty empty and lonely at nights. Especially towards the end parts of the RW.

Hoppes

Post by Hoppes »

seamusTX wrote:
Hoppes wrote:You feel more scared on the RW than say... Rush Street in downtown Chicago? I remember it used to be very scary. I don't know about now.
I feel qualified to answer that question.

The Riverwalk has a lot of dark places with few people around. Someone with ill intent could bop you on the head and dump you in the water without being seen (they might be caught on a camera, but that would do you little good).

Rush Street is brightly lighted, flat, straight, busy, and has a police presence (some undercover). Certainly there are shady characters, but they are more interested in hustling than outright violence.

That said, I have been on the Riverwalk at night and didn't feel particularly threatened.

- Jim
I haven't been on Rush Street for many years. When I was in Chicago doing training at the Naval Base in Great Lakes, several of us went down to Chicago. We got lost and found Rush Street by accident. We had some trouble with thugs and ducked into a small restaurant. We got out of there as soon as the thugs left from the front of the restaurant and went back to the base, never returning to Rush Street. I can't remember how well lighted it was back then. I remember it was very busy though.

On another trip into Chicago to go to the Heathkit Store, we saw a private jet go down into the lake out by the Science Museum where the German sub was/is? The jet was taking off and a flock of seagulls flew into the jet. The story in the news stated that a couple or more seagulls flew into the jet turbines. I saw one wing come off the jet and hit the lake. Then the jet went down. Before long, there was all these guys wearing hats with scrambled eggs. being just out of boot camp, I was saluting all of them. Now, I know why some of them laughed at me. They were not Navy Officers. They were with the Fire Department on boats.

Hoppes
---
---

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:
ELB wrote: . . . Maybe next session someone will jump on Governor Perry's musings after the Virginia Tech rampage, where he thought maybe we should just do away with all the prohibited zones for CHL carry. . . .
:thumbsup:
See, when Charles gives us a thumbs up and a wink...

I tend to relax...Knowing a crown jewel of a bill, is in the works for the next session...

But shhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Loose lips sink ships...

I guess I should shut up too... ;-)
Charles, you got me giddy all over again. 2009 can't come fast enough!
Hoppes wrote:
Skiprr wrote:Check the municipal codes before you go. San Antonio has some baffling laws, including knife restrictions: http://www.municode.com/resources/OnlineLibrary.asp
That's sorta crazy. Any knife. I don't see any length restrictions on knives in the municipal code. Will you stop carrying your pocket knife in San Antonio? I've had to leave in in our vehicle when we carry our daughter to Sea World and some other places like the SBC Center / AT&T Center.

Hoppes
I've never experienced any trouble openly carrying a lock-back knife (with the clip exposed in my pocket). Same has been true for another CHL friend. You will see plenty of other people like this. Yes, it's against city law, but no cop I've ever encountered will give you any trouble for it.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Hoppes wrote:I haven't been on Rush Street for many years. When I was in Chicago doing training at the Naval Base in Great Lakes, several of us went down to Chicago. We got lost and found Rush Street by accident. We had some trouble with thugs ...
I don't know if you're talking about 10 years ago or 50. :smile:

My familiarity with Rush Street goes back to being born a few blocks from there. In the 1960s and 70s it was a little like the Haight-Ashbury of Chicago. It was close to Cabrini-Green, a notorious housing project that no longer exists, and the local thugs preyed on tourists.

The city fathers got tired of the bad press and cleaned things up in the 1980s.

I haven't been in Chicago since 2001, so my information is becoming dated.

The place with the submarine (U-505) is the Museum of Science and Industry. It's still there. I loved that place.

- Jim

chewy555

Post by chewy555 »

Flatland2D wrote: I've never experienced any trouble openly carrying a lock-back knife (with the clip exposed in my pocket). Same has been true for another CHL friend. You will see plenty of other people like this. Yes, it's against city law, but no cop I've ever encountered will give you any trouble for it.
From what I have seen about the knife law, some police officers do not do anything about the kinfe unless they have you stoped for something else. Then they write a ticket for it.
This may not be what all of the officers do, but what most that I know do.
H&K USP 45
Taurus Tracker .357
Taurus 1911

fadlan12
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fadlan12 »

I went down there at the end of May, I thought It it was only locking blades that were illegal? I felt exposed a few times when like walking to the tower of the americas or the Texas cultural museum from the Menger hotel. It was uneventful thankfully.

Flatland2D

Post by Flatland2D »

chewy555 wrote:
From what I have seen about the knife law, some police officers do not do anything about the kinfe unless they have you stoped for something else. Then they write a ticket for it.
This may not be what all of the officers do, but what most that I know do.
Yeah I've heard the same. Just to stay out of trouble.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”