Psychiatric Care Questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
halo13
Posts in topic: 5

Psychiatric Care Questions

Post by halo13 »

I'm working on obtaining my CHL/LTC in Texas. I'm new to the process so I'm trying to become educated on the topic. I have a squeaky clean background with FBI clearance for work already so I'm certain I'll have no problems there. What does concern me is the psychiatric questions.

I have seen a psychiatrist for the last few years and have a diagnosis for Anxiety disorder for which I'm medicated. My doctor has not given me an official diagnosis but she says that since I have bouts of depression here and there, there's a chance that I may have a mild mood disorder. Again, nothing official yet and I'm stable. And also I have never been hospitalized voluntarily or involuntarily.

When I go to fill out my CHL application, what should I disclose? I'm assuming I should disclose my Anxiety diagnosis and what not but I'm not sure I should disclose the "possible" mood disorder since it's not official. Also, when DPS conducts its checks how do they have access to HIPAA protected records or do they? I'm told by some LE friends that they do not have access to private HIPAA records but do have access to records of mental health if a judge or magistrate deems me "mentally defective". I'm trying to wrap my head around how this all works.

My anxiety is under control and again I am stable and responsible, however I'm concerned that my application may get denied because of the possible mood disorder soft-diagnosis.

If anyone has any advice and/or information on this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

misterlarry
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Psychiatric Care Questions

Post by misterlarry »

Just my opinion, but I think that if you can pass the NICs check to buy a pistol then you should be fine for your LTC in this situation. If you are disallowed from getting an LTC due to psychiatric care, then it should be because you are not allowed to own firearms not because of medical treatment. You should just go ahead and apply. If I remember correctly, you must disclose any known reason for not legally owning a firearm or legal judgments/convictions on your record. Looking forward to hear what people who are more informed than I have to say. Like I said, just my opinion.
01/19/2013 CHL Class - 03/25/2013 CHL Arrived
NRA Life Member
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

Topic author
halo13

Post by halo13 »

misterlarry wrote:Just my opinion, but I think that if you can pass the NICs check to buy a pistol then you should be fine for your LTC in this situation. If you are disallowed from getting an LTC due to psychiatric care, then it should be because you are not allowed to own firearms not because of medical treatment. You should just go ahead and apply. If I remember correctly, you must disclose any known reason for not legally owning a firearm or legal judgments/convictions on your record. Looking forward to hear what people who are more informed than I have to say. Like I said, just my opinion.
Thanks for chiming in. Yes, I passed the NCIS check no problem when purchasing my firearm so I think I'll be ok. However I'd like to get more feedback from the rest of the group with their opinions and/or insight.

Cheers!

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

With the DPS you're better off disclosing than not disclosing. I would provide them with whatever medical diagnosis your doctor has made and the names and daily amounts of any drugs you are prescribed. Since the doctor speculated on the mood disorder, I doubt that would be in the diagnosis, although it might be in the doctor's notes (which they should not have access to.) Frequently when someone fails to disclose something, it lengthens the process of issuing the license and increases the anxiety of the applicant. From your description, it doesn't sound like you would be barred from carrying.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
halo13

Post by halo13 »

baldeagle wrote:With the DPS you're better off disclosing than not disclosing. I would provide them with whatever medical diagnosis your doctor has made and the names and daily amounts of any drugs you are prescribed. Since the doctor speculated on the mood disorder, I doubt that would be in the diagnosis, although it might be in the doctor's notes (which they should not have access to.) Frequently when someone fails to disclose something, it lengthens the process of issuing the license and increases the anxiety of the applicant. From your description, it doesn't sound like you would be barred from carrying.
Thanks for the information. I agree, I'll disclose what is necessary and see how things go. Out of curiosity, how does DPS verify your diagnosis? Do they call your doctor or is there some public record (seems like this would be HIPAA violation) where your medical charts/history are posted? Just curious as to how this all works.

RW19

Post by RW19 »

Please consider your condition fully before making your decision. I know nothing about your condition more than what you've stated here, and if that's the totality of your condition, then I believe you're good to go. But if you find yourself depressed or feel like you may go without your medicine for awhile, then consider what your psyche would tell you to do in that condition. And while we're expected to obey the laws, the laws are not the only thing you should consider when making decisions in general.

Here is why I say that.

I had a neighbor 3 doors down and across the street from me 5 years ago when I moved into my house. When I moved in, he was a gentle old man, had a nice job at Lockheed Martin, walked his dog and kept his yard nice and clean. A year after I moved in, he became the Neighbor from Hell. Turns out, he was bipolar and schizophrenic. The guy just went crazy. Piled limbs in his yard 5' high, had a dead deer carcass under that pile, he took fence panels out of his backyard and put them in his tree in the front yard, removed the retaining wall between him and his neighbors house and put the bricks all around his yard, knocked down his and his neighbors brick mailbox, mounded the bricks in front of his property and just sat the mailbox on top of the bricks. And this is just scratching the surface.

He had guns in his possession and he would brandish them in front of his house regularly. Pretty scary stuff. Long story short, he is now in a mental hospital full time.

I have a doctor in my family and I was telling him about it and he made the comment that most people with personality disorders eventually decide that they're "better" and don't need their medicine anymore. Well, when you get off your meds, is when the disease rears it's ugly head.

Just sharing my story.

Topic author
halo13

Post by halo13 »

RW19 wrote:Please consider your condition fully before making your decision. I know nothing about your condition more than what you've stated here, and if that's the totality of your condition, then I believe you're good to go. But if you find yourself depressed or feel like you may go without your medicine for awhile, then consider what your psyche would tell you to do in that condition. And while we're expected to obey the laws, the laws are not the only thing you should consider when making decisions in general.
I appreciate your concern and your feedback, definitely something to think about. My "bouts of depression" have been few and when they manifest it's very mild. Similar to being bummed out or a bit of a cloud over my head. I've never been suicidal, psychotic, or manic and I'm currently not medicated for the depression component, only the anxiety diagnosis.

I will definitely give this some thought as I move forward. I'm legal to own but I would like to take the next step and get my CHL/LTC so that I can protect myself outside of my home and/or vehicle. I have several LE friends and they are very encouraging of my move to CHL.

Again, thanks for your input and for sharing the story of your neighbor. That is so not me, I'm stable, rational, and responsible. :)

FCH

Post by FCH »

halo13 - have you talked to your psychiatrist about your desire to obtain a LTC? It sounds like you have a good relationship with her. A letter from her stating there is no impairment to your making sound and rational decisions should go a long way if DPS has any questions.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Topic author
halo13

Post by halo13 »

FCH wrote:halo13 - have you talked to your psychiatrist about your desire to obtain a LTC? It sounds like you have a good relationship with her. A letter from her stating there is no impairment to your making sound and rational decisions should go a long way if DPS has any questions.
I see her every 3 months so this is something I can definitely bring up the topic. I think that's a great idea. She's highly conservative and a bit uptight so I'm going to have to choose my verbiage with care.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”