Austin Yacht Club 30.06/07

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
kjolly
Posts in topic: 1

Austin Yacht Club 30.06/07

Post by kjolly »

This being one of the most peaceful places on earth and the common dress code of shorts/swimsuits do not provide much opportunity for concealed carry or the need for such however they have posted legal signs at the entrance date.

I rarely carry but did have several guns in the truck and had to turn around and go back to town to stay legal. This is a disappointment as we all know when people are afraid of guns the only one abiding these signs are honest, trained armed citizens such as myself and Criminals, Psychos, Scallywags, Pirates and Terrorists could care less that these signs are in place. in reality these signs only prevent good guys with guns from entering.
While I do not expect any sudden violent attacks out on Lake Travis as we all know this opens a place up to violence with no one to protect it.

I sometimes head out there to do some boat work, then go to the range in Cedar Park. I can no longer combine both fun activities, however I will accede to their desire to feel safer even if as we know there is no truth to this safety.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Jago668

Re: Austin Yacht Club 30.06/07

Post by Jago668 »

You can still leave them in the car if you wanted.
NRA Benefactor Member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

kjolly wrote:This being one of the most peaceful places on earth and the common dress code of shorts/swimsuits do not provide much opportunity for concealed carry or the need for such however they have posted legal signs at the entrance date.

I rarely carry but did have several guns in the truck and had to turn around and go back to town to stay legal. This is a disappointment as we all know when people are afraid of guns the only one abiding these signs are honest, trained armed citizens such as myself and Criminals, Psychos, Scallywags, Pirates and Terrorists could care less that these signs are in place. in reality these signs only prevent good guys with guns from entering.
While I do not expect any sudden violent attacks out on Lake Travis as we all know this opens a place up to violence with no one to protect it.

I sometimes head out there to do some boat work, then go to the range in Cedar Park. I can no longer combine both fun activities, however I will accede to their desire to feel safer even if as we know there is no truth to this safety.

Was this posted prior to Jan. 1? If not you may want to write a letter similar to some posted on other threads. Also if you are in a watercraft that you own or are in control of, you can legally carry, to and from the boat, so the only people being targeted are LTC holders. This may be a case of misinformed ownership/management.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

RossA
Banned

Post by RossA »

:thumbs2:
Yep, you can either leave it in your car, or take it discreetly to your boat.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Car is protected by MPA, Boat/Yacht is protected by MPA - you can legally carry between both places can you not ? So the sign wouldn't keep you from bringing your gun I would think ?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Is Lake Travis COE property? I used to go to the AYC a lot and I remember that they had to get permission to rebuild their clubhouse after one of the big floods. I thought that was the COE.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

chasfm11 wrote:Is Lake Travis COE property? I used to go to the AYC a lot and I remember that they had to get permission to rebuild their clubhouse after one of the big floods. I thought that was the COE.
No, Lake Travis/ Highland Lakes are managed by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA)
http://www.lcra.org/water/water-supply/ ... fault.aspx
LCRA manages lakes Travis and Buchanan under a state-approved Water Management Plan.

The plan governs LCRA's operation of the Highland Lakes to supply water to users throughout the lower Colorado River basin.
Prior thread on LCRA *Parks* Note "SB 535 (effective 9/1/07 )"
viewtopic.php?t=33793

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PW.62.htm
Parks and WildLife Code
SUBCHAPTER E. WEAPONS ON LOWER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY LAND

Sec. 62.081. WEAPONS PROHIBITED. Except as provided in Section 62.082 of this code, no person may hunt with, possess, or shoot a firearm, bow, crossbow, slingshot, or any other weapon on or across the land of the Lower Colorado River Authority.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975.

Sec. 62.082. TARGET RANGES, MANAGED HUNTS, AND OTHER EXCEPTIONS; RULES. (a) The Board of Directors of the Lower Colorado River Authority may lease river authority land to be used on a nonprofit basis for a target rifle or archery range.

(b) A member of the boy scouts or the girl scouts or other nonprofit public service group or organization may possess and shoot a firearm, bow, and crossbow for target or instructional purposes under the supervision of a qualified instructor registered with and approved by the Lower Colorado River Authority on ranges designated by the Lower Colorado River Authority.

(c) The Board of Directors of the Lower Colorado River Authority may authorize lawful hunting on Lower Colorado River Authority lands, consistent with sound biological management practices.

(d) Section 62.081 does not apply to:

(1) an employee of the Lower Colorado River Authority;

(2) a person authorized to hunt under Subsection (c);

(3) a peace officer as defined by Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure; or

(4) a person who:

(A) possesses a handgun and a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun;
or

(B) under circumstances in which the person would be justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9, Penal Code, shoots a handgun the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(e) A state agency, including the department, the Department of Public Safety, and the Lower Colorado River Authority, may not adopt a rule that prohibits a person who possesses a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, from entering or crossing the land of the Lower Colorado River Authority while:

(1) possessing a handgun;
or

(2) under circumstances in which the person would be justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9, Penal Code, shooting a handgun.

If your handgun is concealed in your boat/watercraft, it's covered by the Motorist Protection Act MPA

If "Austin Yacht Club " is private property, not LCRA property, VALID 30.06 30.07 Private Property Postings would apply, but 30.06/30.07 is NOT addressed to anyone carrying under Motorist Protection Act MPA ( Sec. 46.02. ) http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm

See what I did there? (Carry under MPA, concealed in the boat before you arrive there, not under Govt Code chapter 411 LTC/CHL where 30.06/30.07 would apply there)

So, under MPA you can have the concealed handguns concealed in your car or your boat (watercraft/kayak/etc)

Rifles are not regulated by 30.06/30.07 Penal Code, , 411 Govt Code, MPA (46.02 Penal Code) so a concealed rifle can be legally carried around on body on that property, just not a concealed handgun under 30.06/30.07 ... your concealed handgun should be concealed in the boat or car under Motorist Protection Act MPA Ch 46.02 Penal Code.

IANAL

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

NotRPB wrote:
chasfm11 wrote:Is Lake Travis COE property? I used to go to the AYC a lot and I remember that they had to get permission to rebuild their clubhouse after one of the big floods. I thought that was the COE.
No, Lake Travis/ Highland Lakes are managed by the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA)
http://www.lcra.org/water/water-supply/ ... fault.aspx
LCRA manages lakes Travis and Buchanan under a state-approved Water Management Plan.

The plan governs LCRA's operation of the Highland Lakes to supply water to users throughout the lower Colorado River basin.
Prior thread on LCRA *Parks* Note "SB 535 (effective 9/1/07 )"
viewtopic.php?t=33793

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PW.62.htm
Parks and WildLife Code
SUBCHAPTER E. WEAPONS ON LOWER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY LAND

Sec. 62.081. WEAPONS PROHIBITED. Except as provided in Section 62.082 of this code, no person may hunt with, possess, or shoot a firearm, bow, crossbow, slingshot, or any other weapon on or across the land of the Lower Colorado River Authority.

Acts 1975, 64th Leg., p. 1405, ch. 545, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1975.

Sec. 62.082. TARGET RANGES, MANAGED HUNTS, AND OTHER EXCEPTIONS; RULES. (a) The Board of Directors of the Lower Colorado River Authority may lease river authority land to be used on a nonprofit basis for a target rifle or archery range.

(b) A member of the boy scouts or the girl scouts or other nonprofit public service group or organization may possess and shoot a firearm, bow, and crossbow for target or instructional purposes under the supervision of a qualified instructor registered with and approved by the Lower Colorado River Authority on ranges designated by the Lower Colorado River Authority.

(c) The Board of Directors of the Lower Colorado River Authority may authorize lawful hunting on Lower Colorado River Authority lands, consistent with sound biological management practices.

(d) Section 62.081 does not apply to:

(1) an employee of the Lower Colorado River Authority;

(2) a person authorized to hunt under Subsection (c);

(3) a peace officer as defined by Article 2.12, Code of Criminal Procedure; or

(4) a person who:

(A) possesses a handgun and a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, to carry a handgun;
or

(B) under circumstances in which the person would be justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9, Penal Code, shoots a handgun the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code.

(e) A state agency, including the department, the Department of Public Safety, and the Lower Colorado River Authority, may not adopt a rule that prohibits a person who possesses a license issued under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, from entering or crossing the land of the Lower Colorado River Authority while:

(1) possessing a handgun;
or

(2) under circumstances in which the person would be justified in the use of deadly force under Chapter 9, Penal Code, shooting a handgun.
If your handgun is concealed in your boat/watercraft, it's covered by the MPA.
I don't live in the Austin area, but is the Yacht Club private property, or is it on LCRA property?
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Countryside
Banned

Post by Countryside »

Well, shoot, don't guess I'll get to park my yacht there....

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

I think the Austin Yacht Club is private Property, where 30.06/30.07 apply to people carrying under a CHL/LTC.

So concealed Rifles (not handguns carried under a license to carry) are OK.

IF you must have a handgun nearby ... You could have a handgun nearby Under Motorist Protection Act, concealed Handguns in Boats/watercraft/cars ONLY ..... but not carried under License to Carry because of the 30.06/30.07 signs which are ONLY addressed to people carrying under a CHL/LTC

... the lake itself is LCRA, so you would carry concealed under your LTC/CHL on the water (or under the MPA concealed in your watercraft if you have no license to carry... assuming that the Parks/Wildlife code allows it now for people without a LTC??? I don't know really >>> (I may be wrong >>> under the above post http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PW.62.htm SUBCHAPTER E. WEAPONS ON LOWER COLORADO RIVER AUTHORITY LAND

Sec. 62.081. WEAPONS PROHIBITED. E)
under the MPA, else just carry a concealed rifle)
Last edited by NotRPB on Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

You can carry in both places under MPA - so you are allowed to travel directly from one location to another - 30.06/30.07 would not prevent assuming you went straight from your Vehicle to your boat.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”