Is This Sign Legal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Wysiwyg101
Posts in topic: 2

Is This Sign Legal?

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

I was coming into a gig today at the Irving Convention Center. In the past this property has hosted some pretty decent gun shows. Indeed. my first gun show the Convention at this property is where I bought my first firearm.

However, on this day they are hosting a different event, a lego tournament.

Anyways, so I walked in and saw this sign. Is it legal?
IMG_7991.JPG

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 6

Re: Is This Sign Legal?

Post by locke_n_load »

Too blurry to read.
However, the Irving Convention Center is owned by the city of Irving according to Wikipedia, therefore any 30.06 signs are unenforceable (if that was the sign), so carry away (concealed). May have a problem if you tried to OC (although you would technically be in the right).
Hope you had a good time.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

doncb
Posts in topic: 1

Post by doncb »

Really blurry but appears to meet the requirements. Having said that, as lock_n_load stated, it is city owned so not enforceable. You'd think cities would know that by now. :banghead:
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Wysiwyg101,

Too blurry for me to read also, but for the heck of it, lets assume the wording is proper and current for a 30.06 sign.

If you're noticed carrying by an LEO while there, do you think you might possibly encounter an ill informed officer who'll take you for "the ride" (that ill informed LEO's exist has been discussed quite recently in another thread) or a very informed officer who knows the city owned venues who post 30.06 signage is bogus for CHLers therefore will cause you no problems?

Care to gamble?

Presumably, the city authorities who defy the gun laws hope you Mr. CHL/LTC will be sufficiently chilled and/or ignorant regarding gun laws will come in unarmed as they rely on your being intimidated by bogus signage.

Various cities regarding gun laws - Pish posh they say, bah humbug, we'll do as we darn well please and you peasant have no say in the matter.

Please, Wysiwyg101, turn em in to the time released action of the AG's office.

Who knows, it just might do some good.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Abraham wrote:Wysiwyg101,

Too blurry for me to read also, but for the heck of it, lets assume the wording is proper and current for a 30.06 sign.

If you're noticed carrying by an LEO while there, do you think you might possibly encounter an ill informed officer who'll take you for "the ride" (that ill informed LEO's exist has been discussed quite recently in another thread) or a very informed officer who knows the city owned venues who post 30.06 signage is bogus for CHLers therefore will cause you no problems?

Care to gamble?

Presumably, the city authorities who defy the gun laws hope you Mr. CHL/LTC will be sufficiently chilled and/or ignorant regarding gun laws will come in unarmed as they rely on your being intimidated by bogus signage.

Various cities regarding gun laws - Pish posh they say, bah humbug, we'll do as we darn well please and you peasant have no say in the matter.

Please, Wysiwyg101, turn em in to the time released action of the AG's office.

Who knows, it just might do some good.
Concealed means concealed, don't voluntarily go up to police and bring up the subject.

OP, why did you post twice about the same subject?
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Solaris »

locke_n_load wrote:Too blurry to read.
However, the Irving Convention Center is owned by the city of Irving according to Wikipedia, therefore any 30.06 signs are unenforceable (if that was the sign), so carry away (concealed). May have a problem if you tried to OC (although you would technically be in the right).
True but why the makeshift sign?

School Sponsored Event? Govt Meeting?

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Solaris wrote:

Because gov't and businesses try to circumvent the law, that's why.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

locke_n_load wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Then it would be up permanently

eta

the point is it could be a prohibited place, and the sign may or may not be valid. this is why the sign should not be allowed to be used for anything but 30.06/07.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Solaris wrote:
locke_n_load wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Then it would be up permanently

eta

the point is it could be a prohibited place, and the sign may or may not be valid. this is why the sign should not be allowed to be used for anything but 30.06/07.
Carrying onto that property is not a violation of 30.06. 30.06 does not apply on gov't property, therefore that sign is invalid. You could break other laws there, for example if a pro sports event was going on, but you would not be breaking 30.06 (which I think is the point your were making). 30.06 means nothing on that property.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Consider an ill informed or overzealous LEO at the Convention Center.

He spots you carrying. With his experience he can tell (even when well concealed) you're carrying, arrests you on the spot and takes you for the ride.

All the while, you're disarmed, cuffed up in the back seat of his patrol car while you protest that the 30.06 signage is unenforceable due to the city owning the property, blah, blah, blah.

The LEO just grins at you and says: "Tell it to the judge" - Now just shut up!

Oh wait, THAT scenario couldn't possibly happen, what with how wonderfully informed ALL LEO's keep up with the various laws that apply to the holder of a CHL/LTC.

Right?

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Abraham wrote:Consider an ill informed or overzealous LEO at the Convention Center.

He spots you carrying. With his experience he can tell (even when well concealed) you're carrying, arrests you on the spot and takes you for the ride.

All the while, you're disarmed, cuffed up in the back seat of his patrol car while you protest that the 30.06 signage is unenforceable due to the city owning the property, blah, blah, blah.

The LEO just grins at you and says: "Tell it to the judge" - Now just shut up!

Oh wait, THAT scenario couldn't possibly happen, what with how wonderfully informed ALL LEO's keep up with the various laws that apply to the holder of a CHL/LTC.

Right?
Really...he can tell that I'm carrying with his cop x-ray vision? But despite being one of law enforcement's concealed carry super spotters, he forgets that 30.06 doesn't apply and is only a class c anyway with no jail as a possible penalty. Then he calls the squad car to come and pick me up and doesn't bother to tell the dispatcher why he is transporting me and for what crime I'm being arrested.

This is why I never concealed carry outside my home, since 46.15 is just a "defense to prosecution" and I really don't want to take the "ride" with all these eagle eyed deputies out there. :biggrinjester:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Abraham wrote: Oh wait, THAT scenario couldn't possibly happen, what with how wonderfully informed ALL LEO's keep up with the various laws that apply to the holder of a CHL/LTC.

Right?
My concern would be there was a school sponsored event there and did not know it. And the cop says, yeah we know 30.06 is not enforceable, but that was the only sign we had to warn you not to carry there; you are being arrested for 46.03 FELONY (any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted) Rut Row!

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

Solaris wrote:
Abraham wrote: Oh wait, THAT scenario couldn't possibly happen, what with how wonderfully informed ALL LEO's keep up with the various laws that apply to the holder of a CHL/LTC.

Right?
My concern would be there was a school sponsored event there and did not know it. And the cop says, yeah we know 30.06 is not enforceable, but that was the only sign we had to warn you not to carry there; you are being arrested for 46.03 FELONY (any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted) Rut Row!
Not valid either. It is pretty well understood that 'grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted' applies only to school property or property in which the school has control. So, unless they had leased out the whole building and were in control, then it would not be applicable.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

Keith B wrote:
Solaris wrote:

Right?
Not valid either. It is pretty well understood that 'grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted' applies only to school property or property in which the school has control. So, unless they had leased out the whole building and were in control, then it would not be applicable.
Then something else. Maybe the convention center was sold yesterday. The point is be sure you are not walking into UCW situation.

Topic author
Wysiwyg101

Post by Wysiwyg101 »

A couple of things to note. I've read where folks were speculating a sporting activity going on. Unless there's a new and recognized sport that includes robot battles and LEGO displays then there wasn't a true "sporting" activity going on that day. Not to mention that the ballroom on the fourth floor was not being utilized for anything connected with the events going on downstairs.

The second thing is this, coming in on Monday, after that event had finished (I'm guessing late Saturday) there was no sign in view anymore.

The main reason I asked in the first place about this sign is that I thought that a 30.06 and 30.07 sign had to be permanently affixed to every entrance in the building and not on a portable sign that could be put out on whim. I didn't even think about the government building aspect of it.

Still, could a privately owned building put out portable signs like this and they be legal?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”