CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
338winmag
Posts in topic: 3

McLennan Cty. in violation of law excluding LTC/CHL holders

Post by 338winmag »

https://www.facebook.com/TexasCarry/pos ... 7577355746

It seems they tried to exclude us from the entire courthouse. The AG just notified them they have 15 days to remedy the situation or they would file suit.

Here's hoping Liberty County commissioners get the same letter.

ELB

Re: McLennan Cty. in violation of law excluding LTC/CHL holders

Post by ELB »

Interesting! It appears the AG holds that a commissioners court is not the type of "court" that can ban licensed carry. That's significant, I think. I believe there is at least one other county/town that has banned licensed carry in a building where the predominant function is the commissioners court and associated offices.

I'm going to go to the AG site to re-read the letter, reading those photos on FB is a pain the old eyes for me.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
338winmag

Post by 338winmag »

reading those photos on FB is a pain the old eyes for me.

:iagree:

There are probably a number of counties that have done this.

I especially like the part where they talk about the fine being $1000 per day and every day after the 15th day is another violation.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Not finding it so far. Since it is a letter and not an opinion or open records opinion, I'm thinking it may not be on the website.
USAF 1982-2005

16Adams
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 16Adams »

Amarillo Potter County

ELB

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

A lot of county commissioners aren't going to like the part about the commissioner's courtroom. There is going to be a lot of nashing of teeth.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dhoobler »

Texas AG orders McLennan County to remove handgun signs
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Texas- ... 82921.html

/Quote
If the ruling stands, McLennan County Sheriff Parnell McNamara says taxpayers will have to spend more to place deputies at the doors of every courtroom.
/Unquote

What the heck for???
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

dhoobler wrote:Texas AG orders McLennan County to remove handgun signs

What the heck for???
Read the last two paragraphs... Now close your eyes, run in circles throwing your hands in the air chanting "But what it, but what if" "rlol" They are obviously grasping at straws.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Bryanmc wrote:

What the heck for???
Read the last two paragraphs... Now close your eyes, run in circles throwing your hands in the air chanting "But what it, but what if" "rlol" They are obviously grasping at straws.

Yeah the Sheriff sounds like he is a charter member of MDA. Why would a concealed carrier be in danger of having their gun taken anymore than a deputy. Additionally, how often has that happened? It's a classic case of we don't want anyone to have guns but us. The idea that extra deputies will have to be posted at the courtroom doors is also ludicrous. they can simply take the signs they have at the front and post them at the court entrance. All of the DA's County Attorneys, off duty police and anyone else the county gives special privileges to, can carry guns in the courthouse and even in courtrooms. They are only targeting LTC holders.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

Here's the Waco Trib editorial take - interesting read

http://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/editori ... 7a0ae.html

Sheriff McNamara is very pro-2A, so I was a little surprised at his comments. We (LTCs) should just be able to flash plastic and by-pass the metal detectors. If it's good enough for the state capital, it oughta be good enough for counties.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

They're being told they aren't aristocrats - They've been demoted.

That a mighty powerful blow to their egos.

Why they just might not run in the future, splutter, splutter...

dhoobler
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dhoobler »

Bryanmc wrote:

What the heck for???
i went back and read the last paragraph. The hypothetical situation, where litigants are hanging out under the rotunda during a recess, implies that they just came out of the COURTROOM where firearms are PROHIBITED by statute.

People like this county commissioner keep cardiologists fully employed.
Revolver - An elegant weapon... for a more civilized age.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Life Member

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 2

Post by treadlightly »

oohrah wrote:Here's the Waco Trib editorial take - interesting read

http://www.wacotrib.com/opinion/editori ... 7a0ae.html

Sheriff McNamara is very pro-2A, so I was a little surprised at his comments. We (LTCs) should just be able to flash plastic and by-pass the metal detectors. If it's good enough for the state capital, it oughta be good enough for counties.
True, McNamara is pro-2A and he teaches CHL courses. If he's ordered to replace (worthless) signs with extra real security, he's going to have to do it. Maybe his point was that the fake security of the signs was a lot cheaper. Or maybe the antics of certain overly enthusiastic gun groups were on his radar.

I had a nice conversation with an investigator with our Sheriff's Department Monday night. He's pro-gun, isn't the slightest bit ruffled that citizens are carrying guns, but he's skittish about guns in the courthouse.

He said I should come to the courthouse on a day when they are hearing divorce cases and see how angry parents get when they are told they can't have their kids any more.

I told him to consider the falling crime rate among the expanding LTC population as opposed to the deadbeat parent population. He responded with the tale of a brutal local murder - by a fellow wanted for burglary in Austin, and not eligible for LTC.

We agreed to disagree. Then he started talking about trouble locating a good holster for his LC9. I pulled up the graphic from the "It's been settled thread" on my phone and he got a good chuckle.

In other words, he's a good guy, pro 2nd Amendment, pro citizen carry, but it's hard for him to get out of his head what people will do when courts decide against them.

I sympathize. I still have rights in need of further expansion, but I sympathize. It's not a perfect world.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”