Chest Holster Legal For Open Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Brazos_Jack
Posts in topic: 3

Chest Holster Legal For Open Carry?

Post by Brazos_Jack »

Is a chest holster like the Kenai Chest Holster or Galco Great Alaskan holster legal for open carry in Texas? Are these holsters considered shoulder holsters under the open carry law??

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chest Holster Legal For Open Carry?

Post by WildBill »

Brazos_Jack wrote:Is a chest holster like the Kenai Chest Holster or Galco Great Alaskan holster legal for open carry in Texas? Are these holsters considered shoulder holsters under the open carry law??
I don't know what Kenai means, but why would you want to be a hard target? IANAL, but I would say it doesn't qualify.
Galco describes their rig as a shoulder holster, so that should be okay.
NRA Endowment Member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

In looking at a website that describes that holster & has many pictures & a video, it looks to me like it does not meet the statutory requirements for open carry; IE: it is neither a shoulder holster nor a belt holster. An ankle holster is outside those requirements as well.

http://gunfightersinc.com/?page_id=251

Note: That is only my opinion. IANAL. I certainly wouldn't have one of those things for every day carry out in public. Hunting is another matter.

IMO, it would make for an interesting test case, if anyone is willing. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Brazos_Jack

Post by Brazos_Jack »

That's what I was afraid of. That they wouldn't look beyond the nomenclature. The Galco Alaskan and the old 1942 US Army issue "Tanker's Holster" are both the same general design as the Kenai. But they are referred to as shoulder holsters and the Kenai is not.

I'll look for a chest I like who's maker calls it a shoulder holster.

The Wall
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Wall »

Is a bra a shoulder holster? :lol:

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

It's a strange semantics issue for sure and leaves a lot open for interpretation. What defines a "shoulder holster" anyway? I mean, a shoulder holster doesn't actually mean that the pistol is physically located on one's shoulder, right?. Rather, it's generally understood to be a holster that's suspended or held in place by straps that go over the shoulder(s). Does that mean that the pistol has to be located under your arm? Why then don't they call that an "arm pit holster"? It's likely that the legislators had visions of a Miami Classic in mind when they wrote the law, but, they failed to define specifically what constitutes a shoulder holster. From looking at the two examples the OP is asking about, I don't see why they couldn't be considered "shoulder holsters", but, I am not a lawyer nor a LEO.

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

A holster maker I know is making a chest rigs for those who are interested in that type. He was asked to make it by some in protective services who needed something they could go on runs with and discrete BUG for other scenarios. The consensus arguement against shoulder holsters came up due to uncontrolled flagging.

INAL nor do I play one on tv, however depending on your particular needs, I can certainly see where a chest rig would be an awesome alternative and would select over a shoulder rig. However personally being of the "rounds a shape" crowd "rlol" , I won't be able to use one for CC at any time in the near future. As I am not liable to give up food, I don't see in at any point to be honest.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

The Kenai is a "shoulder holster", IMO.
I never would have considered otherwise, until i read this thread. :lol:

IANAL. Just my opinion.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

I will judge that this one is "shoulder holster"
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

IANAL and IMNSHO, it would be a shoulder holster and an ankle holster that "belts" around the leg would be a legal for OC as well.
The state does not have it's own unique definition of a shoulder holster. I think the fact that it uses the should as one of its' supports would make it a legal shoulder holster. An ankle holster with a belt that goes around the leg would be legal as well. The state says "belt" holster not "waist" holster. I have no need at this time to OC so I will let someone who has that burning desire be the test case.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Mel

Post by Mel »

The Wall wrote:Is a bra a shoulder holster? :lol:
I believe that would be a "Hooter Holster"!
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

twomillenium wrote:IANAL and IMNSHO, it would be a shoulder holster and an ankle holster that "belts" around the leg would be a legal for OC as well.
The state does not have it's own unique definition of a shoulder holster. I think the fact that it uses the should as one of its' supports would make it a legal shoulder holster. An ankle holster with a belt that goes around the leg would be legal as well. The state says "belt" holster not "waist" holster. I have no need at this time to OC so I will let someone who has that burning desire be the test case.
I disagree with your opinion regarding ankle holsters. Those have been discussed and the general consensus is those are not what the legislature intended as a belt is intended to go around one's waist.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Ankle holster's "belt" is better known as a strap.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

WildBill wrote:
Brazos_Jack wrote:Is a chest holster like the Kenai Chest Holster or Galco Great Alaskan holster legal for open carry in Texas? Are these holsters considered shoulder holsters under the open carry law??
I don't know what Kenai means, but why would you want to be a hard target? IANAL, but I would say it doesn't qualify.
Galco describes their rig as a shoulder holster, so that should be okay.
Kenai, pronounced Key Nye, is a peninsula, census designated place, and township in Southern Alaska.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Dadtodabone

Post by Dadtodabone »

I believe it meets the definition of shoulder holster. The U.S. military has referred to the M7 as a shoulder holster for 70 plus years. I'd call that definitive.
"Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”