CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 1

Notifying a peace officer

Post by Soap »

If you don't have a permit must you still notify an officer that you are carrying in the car? I know it's best to do it no matter what but is it the law?

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Notifying a peace officer

Post by casp625 »

Soap wrote:If you don't have a permit must you still notify an officer that you are carrying in the car? I know it's best to do it no matter what but is it the law?
Notification is only required when carrying under the authority of a CHL/LTC.
Sec. 411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 10.01(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997. Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 62, Sec. 9.17(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1999.
Amended by:
Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1146 (H.B. 2730), Sec. 12A.02, eff. September 1, 2009.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

As posted above, notification is only required if carrying under the authority of your LTC.

That said, without having an LTC, I wouldn't say anything about a firearm in the vehicle unless I was specifically asked.

If they want to know, they'll ask.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

SteveD4600

Post by SteveD4600 »

I was told in my class that you should hand both your DL and LTC permit in Texas and keep your hands on the steering wheel. In other states it may be different. :reddevil OH I plan on putting my DL and LTC permit in a neck lanyard holder so I can hand it out with out reaching for my pocket.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

cbunt1 wrote:As posted above, notification is only required if carrying under the authority of your LTC.

That said, without having an LTC, I wouldn't say anything about a firearm in the vehicle unless I was specifically asked.

If they want to know, they'll ask.
Very technically notice is required if you HAVE a LTC and you are CARRYING, even if not under the authority of it.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

SteveD4600 wrote:I was told in my class that you should hand both your DL and LTC permit in Texas and keep your hands on the steering wheel. In other states it may be different. :reddevil OH I plan on putting my DL and LTC permit in a neck lanyard holder so I can hand it out with out reaching for my pocket.
You were told correctly for an LTC holder. However, this topic is about someone without an LTC carrying in their car. Under that scenario, notification is not required.

Unless asked, I also don't believe notification beyond providing the LTC when asked for ID is required if you are carrying. However, common courtesy may be a reason one chooses to give further notification.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

mojo84 wrote:
SteveD4600 wrote:I was told in my class that you should hand both your DL and LTC permit in Texas and keep your hands on the steering wheel. In other states it may be different. :reddevil OH I plan on putting my DL and LTC permit in a neck lanyard holder so I can hand it out with out reaching for my pocket.
You were told correctly for an LTC holder. However, this topic is about someone without an LTC carrying in their car. Under that scenario, notification is not required.

Unless asked, I also don't believe notification beyond providing the LTC when asked for ID is required if you are carrying. However, common courtesy may be a reason one chooses to give further notification.
Yes. Good point. Original question was...do you have to notify that you are carrying (eg. under MPA) if you don't have LTC? The answer is NO. And if you are carrying illegally you don't have to notify either (fifth amendment :evil2: ).

And to really split hairs, you don't have to "notify" if you are carrying and DO have a LTC. You must, however, present your ID and LTC if ID is demanded by a Peace Officer or Magistrate. :rules:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

bkj

Post by bkj »

Under MPA if the officer asks if you have a gun you will have to tell the officer. Lying to an officer could get you charged with a class B under section 37.08
"When seconds count the police are minutes away" Nikki Goeser

“Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority…They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.” Noah Webster

Solaris
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Solaris »

Since the legislature removed the penalty for not notifying, the whole issue is moot. Do as you want.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

bkj wrote:Under MPA if the officer asks if you have a gun you will have to tell the officer. Lying to an officer could get you charged with a class B under section 37.08
No you can remain silent.

37.08 is iffy given all the requirements. You would probably beat the rap but not the ride.

casp625

Post by casp625 »

bkj wrote:Under MPA if the officer asks if you have a gun you will have to tell the officer. Lying to an officer could get you charged with a class B under section 37.08
Section 37.08: "he knowingly makes a false statement that is material to a criminal investigation"
Does a traffic stop constitute a criminal investigation? Does the right against self-incrimination not apply? If one were to decline to answer the question, its not like the officer has probable cause to search your vehicle.

KLB

Post by KLB »

[quote="casp625"If one were to decline to answer the question, its not like the officer has probable cause to search your vehicle.[/quote]Well, that depends on the circumstances. You may be wholly innocent , and the cop could still have probable cause. You can't necessarily know that when the cop questions you.

When I was in high school, a friend and I were out in the friend's car. A cop pulled us over and made us get out and assume the position. We had done nothing, but two guys who resembled us and who were driving the same model car had skipped a restaurant ticket. We got it straightened out, but the cop had probable cause.

Solaris
Banned

Post by Solaris »

KLB wrote:When I was in high school, a friend and I were out in the friend's car. A cop pulled us over and made us get out and assume the position. We had done nothing, but two guys who resembled us and who were driving the same model car had skipped a restaurant ticket. We got it straightened out, but the cop had probable cause.
Probable cause to stop the vehicle absent any violation. Not probable cause to search the vehicle.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

casp625 wrote:
Section 37.08: "he knowingly makes a false statement that is material to a criminal investigation"
Does a traffic stop constitute a criminal investigation? Does the right against self-incrimination not apply? If one were to decline to answer the question, its not like the officer has probable cause to search your vehicle.
Yes, a traffic stop is a criminal investigation. Traffic offenses are all class C misdemeanors (or higher) in Texas, so the stop is a criminal investigation. And yes, your rights against self-incrimination always apply.

Interestingly enough, according to one Court of Criminal Appeals decision, any traffic stop is an arrest. This means they need probable cause plus legal authority to arrest to make the stop (the authority to make an arrest was the point being decided in the case). But to try to protect the citizen's, they specifically said it did not rise to the level of a custodial arrest making the car subject to a search incident to arrest. I am thinking but not sure if they mentioned it, but it would also not trigger a Miranda warning. You can still refuse to answer but they don't have to tell you that.

IMO, the reason 37.08 does not apply is because the crime being investigated is the traffic offense. My carrying a weapon is not material to that investigation. For the question to be material, the officer would have to be able to cite a crime he had at least suspicion of having happened where your having a gun was pertinent to the crime. But I agree with the others, that you would probably end up taking the ride, even if wrongly.
Steve Rothstein

txyaloo

Post by txyaloo »

Solaris wrote:
KLB wrote:When I was in high school, a friend and I were out in the friend's car. A cop pulled us over and made us get out and assume the position. We had done nothing, but two guys who resembled us and who were driving the same model car had skipped a restaurant ticket. We got it straightened out, but the cop had probable cause.
Probable cause to stop the vehicle absent any violation. Not probable cause to search the vehicle.
Police don't need probable cause to stop a vehicle; they need reasonable suspicion which is a much lower standard.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”