concealed carry police station.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Re: concealed carry police station.

Post by TreyHouston »

LTCTLB wrote:I was pondering these Q's as well.
TreyHouston wrote:How does that work? Do you draw your handgun out and put it in a locker or does the police off sir disarm you and put it into a locker? Do they clear the round out of the chamber first or do you? I am new to LTC so I'm simply asking questions about when you have to remove your gun and put into a locker.
I get that, what im asking about is that if you ever have to disarm in a public place, how does that work? It would feel really weird to pull out my handgun,loaded, when i am not planning on using it (isnt that a crime). Does the LEO do it for you? Also, i would feel uncomfortable leaving it loaded in a place that i am not familiar with.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by drjoker »

I gave the pistol to him still in the holster. The entire police station was a "secured area."

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

drjoker wrote:I gave the pistol to him still in the holster. The entire police station was a "secured area."
Unless it's behind a locked door or a metal detector/guard, then the area is not a 'secured area'.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TexasFlash

Post by TexasFlash »

drjoker wrote:I gave the pistol to him still in the holster. The entire police station was a "secured area."
??? Which police station is this?
Dave :txflag:

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txyaloo »

The entire police station can't be a secure area. You need to file a complaint with the city.

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by drjoker »

txyaloo wrote:
The entire police station can't be a secure area. You need to file a complaint with the city.
Oh, I did not know that. Why can't the entire station be a "secure area"? I thought that if they have prisoners there, it is considered a "prison" so you cannot carry there? I'm not sure as IANAL. What code/legislation are you referring to? (so I can have grounds to file the complaint)

Thanks.

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txyaloo »

drjoker wrote:
txyaloo wrote:
Oh, I did not know that. Why can't the entire station be a "secure area"? I thought that if they have prisoners there, it is considered a "prison" so you cannot carry there? I'm not sure as IANAL. What code/legislation are you referring to? (so I can have grounds to file the complaint)

Thanks.
Can't probably wasn't the right word. In theory, an entire police station could be a secure area. In practice, I haven't seen a police station where that is the case. A secure area would be areas around holding cells, etc. Any area that's public wouldn't be secure and you shouldn't have to disarm. I've never had to disarm when getting prints, copies of police reports, etc. Those areas have all been public.

Neverpanic1

Post by Neverpanic1 »

Last night I was asked not to carry in the police department's classroom, which is a side room from the lobby (not a backroom or non-public area) after asking (in private) if the building didn't fall under GC411.207. The building is no longer used as the city jail. The PD is clearly signed GC411.207 at the front entrance.
During our neighborhood watch meeting, an attendee asked about it being illegal to carry in a PD, and apparently it was "agreed" that it was. I messaged the officer privately afterwards and mentioned the GC, where I was then notified that our PD asks that no one carry in the classrooms. :grumble
Texas LTC Instructor/ NRA Certified Instructor

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Neverpanic1 wrote:Last night I was asked not to carry in the police department's classroom, which is a side room from the lobby (not a backroom or non-public area) after asking (in private) if the building didn't fall under GC411.207. The building is no longer used as the city jail. The PD is clearly signed GC411.207 at the front entrance.
During our neighborhood watch meeting, an attendee asked about it being illegal to carry in a PD, and apparently it was "agreed" that it was. I messaged the officer privately afterwards and mentioned the GC, where I was then notified that our PD asks that no one carry in the classrooms. :grumble
Technically, they can "ask" whatever they want. Their use of this word may have been an acknowledgement that they cant keep you from carrying in that location.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”