CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

concealed carry police station.

Post by drjoker »

can i carry legally at the dallas police station on 1400 s lamar?

If it has a jail, then i guess not, but if it is offices only like the dps office then i could carry away.

longhorn86
Posts in topic: 1

Re: concealed carry police station.

Post by longhorn86 »

You should be able to carry in the unsecured area of the police station.
NRA Life Member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Tex. Gov't Code §411.207 wrote:(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may temporarily disarm a license holder when a license holder enters a nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility, if the law enforcement agency provides a gun locker where the peace officer can secure the license holder's handgun. The peace officer shall secure the handgun in the locker and shall return the handgun to the license holder immediately after the license holder leaves the nonpublic, secure portion of the law enforcement facility.

(c) A law enforcement facility shall prominently display at each entrance to a nonpublic, secure portion of the facility a sign that gives notice in both English and Spanish that, under this section, a peace officer may temporarily disarm a license holder when the license holder enters the nonpublic, secure portion of the facility. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height. The sign shall be displayed in a clearly visible and conspicuous manner.

(d) In this section:
  • (1) "Law enforcement facility" means a building or a portion of a building used exclusively by a law enforcement agency that employs peace officers as described by Articles 2.12(1) and (3), Code of Criminal Procedure, and support personnel to conduct the official business of the agency. The term does not include:
    • (A) any portion of a building not actively used exclusively to conduct the official business of the agency; or

(B) any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
    (2) "Nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility" means that portion of a law enforcement facility to which the general public is denied access without express permission and to which access is granted solely to conduct the official business of the law enforcement agency.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Tex. Gov't Code §411.207 wrote:(b) A peace officer who is acting in the lawful discharge of the officer's official duties may temporarily disarm a license holder when a license holder enters a nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility, if the law enforcement agency provides a gun locker where the peace officer can secure the license holder's handgun. The peace officer shall secure the handgun in the locker and shall return the handgun to the license holder immediately after the license holder leaves the nonpublic, secure portion of the law enforcement facility.

(c) A law enforcement facility shall prominently display at each entrance to a nonpublic, secure portion of the facility a sign that gives notice in both English and Spanish that, under this section, a peace officer may temporarily disarm a license holder when the license holder enters the nonpublic, secure portion of the facility. The sign must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height. The sign shall be displayed in a clearly visible and conspicuous manner.

(d) In this section:
  • (1) "Law enforcement facility" means a building or a portion of a building used exclusively by a law enforcement agency that employs peace officers as described by Articles 2.12(1) and (3), Code of Criminal Procedure, and support personnel to conduct the official business of the agency. The term does not include:
    • (A) any portion of a building not actively used exclusively to conduct the official business of the agency; or

(B) any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk, walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
    (2) "Nonpublic, secure portion of a law enforcement facility" means that portion of a law enforcement facility to which the general public is denied access without express permission and to which access is granted solely to conduct the official business of the law enforcement agency.
Thanks Charles! Very helpful for me... I do volunteer work that takes place at (inside secure area, but not the jail) my local PD and was worried about exactly this. Must not have searched the correct keywords when googling.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

My Son's Eagle Scout project took place just outside our local PD. When we arrived I met with one of the officers to obtain the concrete stain and supplies for the project. He told me to follow him, and he led me toward a door with signage stating that LTC carry was prohibited past that point. I told the officer I was carrying and asked if I needed to secure my gun elsewhere. He said "don't worry about it, there's no one here and I don't figure you'll try to get the drop on me while we go to the storage room for a Scout project." I agreed and followed him to the back where we got the supplies. He stated he liked the idea that there were so many LTC holders now, and that he has never had an issue with anyone he has met. He drove back in to the parking lot several times that day to see if we needed anything else, and stayed and chatted with the adult leaders about LTC, (three of us are LTC holders) and told some great stories.
I wouldn't want to chance carrying past the signage on my own, and our small down department doesn't even have a jail, but they do conduct interrogations and bring suspects in for statements etc. so the signage was appropriate IMO. but the lobby area was not posted.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

koine2002 wrote:
drjoker wrote:can i carry legally at the dallas police station on 1400 s lamar?

If it has a jail, then i guess not, but if it is offices only like the dps office then i could carry away.
I went there to get a police report. I was carrying. I showed the guy at the metal detector/x-Ray my LTC before proceeding forward. He said, "I don't need to see that." I went through, it beeped, and he let me through. There is a sign on a door that goes somewhere else summarizing the code that Charles referenced. I was never disarmed nor challenged.
Why is the metal detector there if he "doesn't need to see" a LTC for someone who is carrying a weapon. When it beeps I guess you are just supposed to tell him, "it's just my licensed concealed handgun" and he would wave you right through since he "doesn't need to see" the actual LTC? That makes even less sense than the security theatre that we go through to board an airplane.

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Why is the metal detector there if he "doesn't need to see" a LTC for someone who is carrying a weapon. When it beeps I guess you are just supposed to tell him, "it's just my licensed concealed handgun" and he would wave you right through since he "doesn't need to see" the actual LTC? That makes even less sense than the security theatre that we go through to board an airplane.
My guess would be, 1. If you have a license you will show it once the metal detector goes off. 2. if you have anything else concealed, like the knife I carry all the time, they would want to know about it.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

Topic author
drjoker
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by drjoker »

I just came back from the police staion, open carrying, because I didn't want them to think I was trying to sneak anything through. No muss, no fuss. They looked at my CHL, then locked my gun in a locker next to the front door. I was not delayed nor hasseled due to open carry. I feel sorry for all those guys on Youtube hassled by non-Texas cops for open carrying.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

drjoker wrote:I just came back from the police staion, open carrying, because I didn't want them to think I was trying to sneak anything through. No muss, no fuss. They looked at my CHL, then locked my gun in a locker next to the front door. I was not delayed nor hasseled due to open carry. I feel sorry for all those guys on Youtube hassled by non-Texas cops for open carrying.
drjoker, your experience is the way it's supposed to happen! Well done! :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

TreyHouston
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TreyHouston »

drjoker wrote:I just came back from the police staion, open carrying, because I didn't want them to think I was trying to sneak anything through. No muss, no fuss. They looked at my CHL, then locked my gun in a locker next to the front door. I was not delayed nor hasseled due to open carry. I feel sorry for all those guys on Youtube hassled by non-Texas cops for open carrying.
How does that work? Do you draw your handgun out and put it in a locker or does the police off sir disarm you and put it into a locker? Do they clear the round out of the chamber first or do you? I am new to LTC so I'm simply asking questions about when you have to remove your gun and put into a locker.
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

txyaloo
Posts in topic: 3

Post by txyaloo »

Did you go in the secure portion of the facility? If not, why'd they make you disarm?

LTCTLB

Post by LTCTLB »

I was pondering these Q's as well.
TreyHouston wrote:How does that work? Do you draw your handgun out and put it in a locker or does the police off sir disarm you and put it into a locker? Do they clear the round out of the chamber first or do you? I am new to LTC so I'm simply asking questions about when you have to remove your gun and put into a locker.
LTC training: 1/30/16; Application (online): 5/10; Fingerprints: 5/11; CHL100 submitted (online): 5/11; All docs received email from RSD: 5/12; Status change: 6/11; Plastic in hand: 6/13/16

Bryanmc

Post by Bryanmc »

txyaloo wrote:Did you go in the secure portion of the facility? If not, why'd they make you disarm?
I was also wondering. If you stayed in the public portion and they disarmed you that's a way of skirting the law... "We won't post a sign, but as soon as you walk in we'll disarm you".

rssecurity

Post by rssecurity »

When I riding on patrol with HPD, the officer driving me did arrest someone and have to take him to the jail (temporarily) behind/in the back of/sharing a wall with the police station. There were lockers there and HE had to disarm to enter the jail. I don't remember if it was posted and it was a few years ago, but it probably was posted.

My thought based on this was if you see lockers, look for signs. No lockers, you're probably OK.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”