Houston Zoo Current CC Policy

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Subtm24
Posts in topic: 3

Houston Zoo Current CC Policy

Post by Subtm24 »

I know last year, the zoo put the signs up, took them down, and then put them back up. I also know there was a plan to fight it. Does anyone know the current status? I'd hate to drive down there, walk up to the gates, and have to turn back.

denwego
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Houston Zoo Current CC Policy

Post by denwego »

Policy is... they're public property at a location not prohibited by §46.03 or §46.035. Their opinions otherwise are adorable but powerless and wrong.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Last I heard there was still a complaint in to the AG since they reinstalled 30.06/30.07 signs. No word back from the AG as far as I know, which is getting kind of ridiculous nearly a year later.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AJSully421 »

I would conceal all day long. I would not OC.

The Fort Worth zoo also has signs, but it is a combination of a 30.06 sign and a 30.07 sign and the wording alone makes it unenforceable, let alone the fact that the city owns the property.

There is ZERO chance that the zoo is a school, it is a liberal smokescreen to muddy the water. Don't let them win, carry concealed.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

"Their opinions otherwise are adorable but powerless and wrong."

I'm going to have that engraved on the back of my badge. :biggrinjester:
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Their policy is to violate the law. The zoo is run by criminals, who knowingly choose to violate the law. You should definitely carry a weapon if you choose to enter a location that is run by these guys.

Topic author
Subtm24

Post by Subtm24 »

They have five signs. 30.06 & 30.07 in English and Spanish and then a 46.03 sign. I agree with all of you, but I don't have the time or the resources to fight it, even if it is unlikely I would get "caught."

denwego

Post by denwego »

Topbuilder wrote:"Their opinions otherwise are adorable but powerless and wrong."

I'm going to have that engraved on the back of my badge. :biggrinjester:
:thumbs2:

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I wonder why it's taking so long for the AG to rule on this? The thing that makes me nervous is that they are claiming they are a school/educational institution. This would make carrying a felony. It seems absolutely ridiculous on its face, but so does the Dallas Zoo being an amusement park (although that at least seems to have support in the plain wording of the law).
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

juno106

Post by juno106 »

I wonder if we need the 2017 Legislature to enact a "clean up" Bill, which statutorily requires the AG to issue an opinion within X number of days?

90 ?
180 ?
45 ?
locke_n_load wrote:No word back from the AG as far as I know, which is getting kind of ridiculous nearly a year later.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

juno106 wrote:I wonder if we need the 2017 Legislature to enact a "clean up" Bill, which statutorily requires the AG to issue an opinion within X number of days?

90 ?
180 ?
45 ?
locke_n_load wrote:No word back from the AG as far as I know, which is getting kind of ridiculous nearly a year later.
Just flip it so that you cannot legally get a sign for any government owned property until you get an affirmative decision from the AG in your favor. Violation is a felony for anyone ordering the unauthorized sign to be placed.

Better enforced if signs on government property were further required to include the address of the prohibited location on the sign.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
juno106 wrote:I wonder if we need the 2017 Legislature to enact a "clean up" Bill, which statutorily requires the AG to issue an opinion within X number of days?

90 ?
180 ?
45 ?
Just flip it so that you cannot legally get a sign for any government owned property until you get an affirmative decision from the AG in your favor. Violation is a felony for anyone ordering the unauthorized sign to be placed.

Better enforced if signs on government property were further required to include the address of the prohibited location on the sign.
Already noted in my thread for the 2017 legislative wish list. It's good stuff.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:

90 ?
180 ?
45 ?

I'm with you up to the "felony" part. We have too many crimes listed as felonies as it is. Make it a large fine and make the person who ordered it personally liable for the fine, but not a felony.

Robert

Post by Robert »

We were at the Houston zoo at the first of June. Didn't notice any signs. Carried concealed the entire time.

Topic author
Subtm24

Post by Subtm24 »

Robert wrote:We were at the Houston zoo at the first of June. Didn't notice any signs. Carried concealed the entire time.
The signs are on the right when you walk in. Technically, we could probably get away with saying it wasn't prominently displayed.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”