CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3

Going swimming? How to carry?

Post by Soap »

How do you carry when you go swimming? I have a bag I plan to just put the gun in but I'm afraid it'll be stolen. Any creative ideas?

RicoTX
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Going swimming? How to carry?

Post by RicoTX »

If I couldn't safely secure it... I would probably lock it in my truck.... not the best situation I know...but I would be more concerned with theft or an accident due to theft than I would not having it on me. Are we talking about at a sparsely used Lake or a community pool? That would play a big part in my decision.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

magillapd

Post by magillapd »

Ask a Navy Seal. :biggrinjester:
“I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
NRA- Life member :patriot:
TSRA - Conditional Life Member :txflag:

Topic author
Soap
Deactivated until real name is provided
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soap »

RicoTX wrote:If I couldn't safely secure it... I would probably lock it in my truck.... not the best situation I know...but I would be more concerned with theft or an accident due to theft than I would not having it on me. Are we talking about at a sparsely used Lake or a community pool? That would play a big part in my decision.
Community pool, I doubt anyone will take it as its a gated pool. I would just feel more safe, since kids may get a funny idea. I could lock the bag to the chair haha.

Weg

Post by Weg »

Not quite related to a pool, but when my daughters were still young and at home, I used to take them tubing on the Guadalupe. I would remove the wooden grips from my Airweight and wear it in a belly band just below the elastic of my swim trunks. Worked fine. I would just let it get wet. When I got home I would hose the gun down with Brakecleaner and re-oil.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

This product locks to the chairs around the pool. I have one that is similar that I use when we vacation.

https://theaquavault.com/
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Weg wrote:Not quite related to a pool, but when my daughters were still young and at home, I used to take them tubing on the Guadalupe. I would remove the wooden grips from my Airweight and wear it in a belly band just below the elastic of my swim trunks. Worked fine. I would just let it get wet. When I got home I would hose the gun down with Brakecleaner and re-oil.

How do you know you're serious about carrying? This!

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Weg wrote:Not quite related to a pool, but when my daughters were still young and at home, I used to take them tubing on the Guadalupe. I would remove the wooden grips from my Airweight and wear it in a belly band just below the elastic of my swim trunks. Worked fine. I would just let it get wet. When I got home I would hose the gun down with Brakecleaner and re-oil.
I have Pachmayr grips on my Model 60 and I still have a couple or three boxes of Nyclads. Combined with a Galco Belly Band it is very lake friendly combination. When I get home I unload it, remove the grips and toss it in the dishwasher. It comes out sparkling clean and dry. Three or four strategically placed drops of oil and back into the safe it goes until our next outing.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

warnmar10 wrote:
I have Pachmayr grips on my Model 60 and I still have a couple or three boxes of Nyclads. Combined with a Galco Belly Band it is very lake friendly combination. When I get home I unload it, remove the grips and toss it in the dishwasher. It comes out sparkling clean and dry. Three or four strategically placed drops of oil and back into the safe it goes until our next outing.
What do y'all do if you go skinny dipping? :headscratch

I don't know that I could purposely submerge a gun but it's nice to know they can take it if it's done correctly.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

locke_n_load

Post by locke_n_load »

I don't think all ammo is crimped the proper way to ensure it is water tight. I may be wrong, but it's worth looking into if you are betting your life on your ammo shooting reliably when wet.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

mikebass78

Post by mikebass78 »

:confused5

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

I carry a suppressed SIG P226 w/ 147g HP in the waterproof bag that I was issued while in Navy Special Warfare (aka SEALS). Usually when people see my perfectly sculpted muscular body and steely eyed glare, I don't have to bring the SIG into play. Even while swimming I am constantly highly alert for dangerous perps. Look at me wrong, they get a double tap to the forehead. I've taken out a few deep cover SVR & GRU agents this way, then I call for a CIA clean up team to take care of the body's. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

The Wall

Post by The Wall »

I just lock mine in a gun safe that is bolted to the floor of my truck under back seat. Perhaps you could carry a spear gun. :lol: I heard somewhere using clear nail polish to seal primers and around crimp will prevent moisture from getting in. I over oiled a revolver once and the excess oil was absorbed by the primers and all 6 rounds failed to fire.

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

ScottDLS wrote:I carry a suppressed SIG P226 w/ 147g HP in the waterproof bag that I was issued while in Navy Special Warfare (aka SEALS). Usually when people see my perfectly sculpted muscular body and steely eyed glare, I don't have to bring the SIG into play. Even while swimming I am constantly highly alert for dangerous perps. Look at me wrong, they get a double tap to the forehead. I've taken out a few deep cover SVR & GRU agents this way, then I call for a CIA clean up team to take care of the body's. :shock:

I think he really is a Navy Seal, hiding in plain sight! By claiming to be one people suspect sarcasm, brilliant strategy, well played sir!

What about a ziploc bag or a ziploc bag on steriods?

https://gunsmagazine.com/exclusive-z-co ... n-the-bag/

Ruger LCP in ziploc bag with swim shorts with pockets. It prints a lot when you are all wet but keeps the gun dry.

Improvise, overcome.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”