Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

OneGun
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

Post by OneGun »

Deltaboy wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm The State needs to restore financial oversight over the State Colleges cause it out of control! :tiphat:

Teaching Liberalism with other people's money is expensive!
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Here is a link to the oral arguments today in the 5th Circuit. http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/OralArgReco ... 1-2018.mp3

Chas.

DanD
Posts in topic: 1

Post by DanD »

Thank you Chas for posting the link. I ended up listening to it twice. Very interesting hearing the arguments on both sides of this case. It seems like the central part of the plaintiff's argument is that they have standing because they have a fear of the actions of a third party. If this argument is found to be upheld it seems like the floodgates would be open to all sorts of lawsuits against the government because of fears of something someone might, possibly, maybe do.
Given a 50/50 chance, you will pick wrong 80% of the time. NRA Life Member, IDPA

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:03 pm Here is a link to the oral arguments today in the 5th Circuit. http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/OralArgReco ... 1-2018.mp3

Chas.
I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

"I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

Sounds like a lame anti-fa retort...

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Abraham wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm "I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

I'm sure they agree cops shouldn't carry guns within 1000' of an antifa rally because the effect it has chilling of free speech.
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

BSHII

Post by BSHII »

Has anyone ever found a link to the appellants’ brief? For some reason I can’t log into the 5th Circuit PACER.

Guns and the Second Amendment are almost a side issue in this case. What is more interesting is that the professors appear to take the position that the Constitution affords them a personal, unalienable right to: be the emperors of “their” classrooms (meaning, the classrooms in which the State pays them to teach); to exercise unchecked plenary power over their students; and to exercise authority superior to the Legislature’s in setting educational policy in a State university.

That we have a faction in this country that actually thinks this way is what is truly dangerous.

BSHII

Post by BSHII »

spectre wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:22 pm
Abraham wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm "I like the Judge's hypothetical to the professors' lawyer whether they would have standing to sue the State to prevent the chilling of free speech in a public park/rally scenario. Lawyer: "Uh... Uh.... I really don't know, Your Honor."

I'm sure they agree cops shouldn't carry guns within 1000' of an antifa rally because the effect it has chilling of free speech.
I don’t know about that. Show up at an antifa rally and start doing something that makes them uncomfortable, and watch how fast they scream for the cops.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

BSHII wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

I don’t know about that. Show up at an antifa rally and start doing something that makes them uncomfortable, and watch how fast they scream for the cops.
The professors and antifa are in the same boat. Free speech must be protected but only when it agrees with them.

I never figured out how concealed guns have a chilling effect on free speech. Maybe because I don't have a PhD. :confused5
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

spectre wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:13 pm
BSHII wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:08 pm

The professors and antifa are in the same boat. Free speech must be protected but only when it agrees with them.

I never figured out how concealed guns have a chilling effect on free speech. Maybe because I don't have a PhD. :confused5
It's easy for PANSIES (People Always Nauseatingly Scared In Every Situation).
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

It makes me want to sue UT for letting village idiots teach college classes and soak the taxpayers for it to boot.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'

ELB
Posts in topic: 23

Post by ELB »

USAF 1982-2005

bigtek
Banned

Post by bigtek »

Can they be fired for making a frivolous lawsuit against their employer? If not, can the legislature cut off taxpayer funding for their salaries?
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Strike a match and see who's missin'

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

bigtek wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:05 pm Can they be fired for making a frivolous lawsuit against their employer? If not, can the legislature cut off taxpayer funding for their salaries?
Can they be, maybe, but if the boss doesn't like campus carry either. . .

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

ELB wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 pm They lose again:

https://reason.com/volokh/2018/08/17/fi ... tional-cha
Three professors from the University of Texas at Austin challenged a Texas law permitting the concealed carry of handguns on campus
It's notable how widespread the perception is that the "campus carry" concept refers to carrying in institutional buildings, not "on campus." Of course, it's difficult to imagine why somebody would go on a campus without entering any of the buildings, but still, the misunderstanding is everywhere. Licensed carriers have been carrying "on campus" for years.

Another component of the discussion that is seldom acknowledged is that to have an LTC you have to be at least 21 years old, which precludes at least 65% of the undergraduates, and probably a much higher percentage of freshmen and sophomores. So they're off the list. About 10% of the students are from other states; it's unlikely that they're concealed carrying under a reciprocity provision. Another 10% are from other countries; same with them.
-Ruark

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”