Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Three professors sue UT to keep guns out of their classrooms

Post by jmorris »

Ruark wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:52 pm ......

It's notable how widespread the perception is that the "campus carry" concept refers to carrying in institutional buildings, not "on campus." Of course, it's difficult to imagine why somebody would go on a campus without entering any of the buildings, but still, the misunderstanding is everywhere. Licensed carriers have been carrying "on campus" for years.
I'm no doubt misreading this but you seem to me to be saying that campus carry does not allow carry in the buildings.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

KC5AV
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KC5AV »

Ruark wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:52 pm
Another component of the discussion that is seldom acknowledged is that to have an LTC you have to be at least 21 years old, which precludes at least 65% of the undergraduates, and probably a much higher percentage of freshmen and sophomores. So they're off the list. About 10% of the students are from other states; it's unlikely that they're concealed carrying under a reciprocity provision. Another 10% are from other countries; same with them.
This. I had a conversation about campus carry with a professor who is part of my running group. She was obviously against campus carry, and made the argument that you don't want 19 year old guys who might fight in the dorms in close proximity to guns...then she clarified that she knew that 19 year olds wouldn't be the ones with guns. Such academic honesty astounds me.
NRA lifetime member

WildRose
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildRose »

jmorris wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:55 pm

It's notable how widespread the perception is that the "campus carry" concept refers to carrying in institutional buildings, not "on campus." Of course, it's difficult to imagine why somebody would go on a campus without entering any of the buildings, but still, the misunderstanding is everywhere. Licensed carriers have been carrying "on campus" for years.
I'm no doubt misreading this but you seem to me to be saying that campus carry does not allow carry in the buildings.
I think you missed his point.

but still, the misunderstanding is everywhere. Licensed carriers have been carrying "on campus" for years.

The change to the law allowing carry in the buildings is relatively recent and where the primary points of contention are.
NRA Life Member NRA Certified Instructor RSO, CRSO,
USCCA Certified Instructor
TX LTC licensed Instructor Personal/Family Protection and Self Defense Instructor.
Without The First and Second Amendments the rest are meaningless.

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

WildRose wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:20 am
jmorris wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:55 pm

I think you missed his point.

but still, the misunderstanding is everywhere. Licensed carriers have been carrying "on campus" for years.

The change to the law allowing carry in the buildings is relatively recent and where the primary points of contention are.
Technically, no we haven't. The definition of campus is "(1) "Campus" means all land and buildings owned or leased by an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education." I suppose you could argue that that definition only came in with the new law. On campus grounds would be accurate.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”