Vicious Dogs trying to maul me

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Xenu45
Posts in topic: 6

Vicious Dogs trying to maul me

Post by Xenu45 »

I just had heart surgery and can't run or walk fast at all. I live out in a rural area in Roma TX city. In the evening as part of my therapy I walk around a few blocks to gain my strength back. It seems that my area has been exploited by illegal dumping of dogs. Dog packs roam the street and the city will not come and pick them up stating its away from city limits. I was run down and almost attacked by a chow a few days ago. I bought a 38 special for protection at a pawn shop, but im afarid if i shoot a dog attacking me that i will be arrested for lack of a concealed permit, or do i have a the right to walk in peace and defend myself. My current situation prevents me from getting a CHL due to travel, at least 1 hour for the nearest CHL training. Please some advice!

twomillenium
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Vicious Dogs trying to maul me

Post by twomillenium »

All the excuses in the world will not allow you to carry in the public unlicensed. Do your walking on your property or go get a license. Carry a long gun. Carry pepper spray, a big stick, personal body guard. There are many legal options that may or may not be what you wanted to hear.

Why would you expect a city that you do not live in to come and perform services for someone who does not pay city taxes?
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

You only need a CHL (now License to Carry) to carry a pistol. You could carry a rifle or shotgun without a permit.

I think you have a perfectly good reason to carry a long gun. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

You cannot carry in TX w/o CHL/LTC, period.

As an alternative, I'd buy some good bear mace and carry that. Not a gun obviously, but it would stop critters trying to get you.

https://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1 ... ce%20spray

Topic author
Xenu45

Post by Xenu45 »

Can I tell the officer that I was walking to my car..I read recently that you can carry in your car without a CHL in TX?
I just refuse to be held hostage by these dogs, some in the packs are pitbulls and are super aggressive!

Topic author
Xenu45

Post by Xenu45 »

So i can walk with a shotgun, I made the wrong purchase then.that 38 is nice though,...
I will purchase a shotgun and as soon as those dogs charge at me!!
I have seen dogs maul people badly! i'am currently taking blood thinners aka/Coumadin for my heart, which a simple bite could be fatal to me!
plus i'm really weak right now!

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

Tread mill
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Txtension
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Txtension »

Xenu45 wrote:Can I tell the officer that I was walking to my car..I read recently that you can carry in your car without a CHL in TX?
I just refuse to be held hostage by these dogs, some in the packs are pitbulls and are super aggressive!
Doesn't the county have an animal control department? Call/write the sheriff's office to complain. Packs of wild dogs running around are dangerous, they will kill someone or a child eventually. In the mean time they'll kill off all the wildlife, and spread disease.

Don't carry your pistol unlicensed unless you're on your land. I can't imagine the line about walking to your car would work, and it is also illegal to speak lies into government statements/reports. Shotguns are cheap, and if you need to use it, no warning shots.

rotor
Posts in topic: 9

Post by rotor »

This is a problem that I considered as well. I have a LTC but I really don't want to kill a dog or discharge a weapon in city limits. Carrying a stick as mentioned is illegal also as that is considered a club. I walk with my wife with three dogs and they are all small. So, consider a sjambok which are available from Cold Steel and very inexpensive. Do a google search on them. I also checked with my local chief of police to find out if they are legal or illegal to carry and he responded that they are legal. i carry one against snakes as well. These whips can produce a tremendous amount of pain and injury to anyone or anything.
When I was very young I was a meter reader and carried something similar. I never got bitten but a lot of dogs went running away. Pepper spray might work too but is inconsistent. A shotgun would work but you have to consider bystanders. Look up sjambok and see what you think.

RicoTX

Post by RicoTX »

rotor wrote:snip... Carrying a stick as mentioned is illegal also as that is considered a club.
If a LEO around here ever issued a citation to an otherwise law abiding citizen for carrying a stick while walking... they would be tied up and tarred. I would gladly do it myself without hesitation. I would also throw said LEO into a pack of wild dogs... without any weapons... or a stick.
NRA Endowment Life Member
TSRA Member
GOA Member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

If they are still around, an old fashioned battery operated cattle prod would be a good item to have.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Xenu45

Post by Xenu45 »

Txtension wrote:
Xenu45 wrote:Can I tell the officer that I was walking to my car..I read recently that you can carry in your car without a CHL in TX?
Doesn't the county have an animal control department? Call/write the sheriff's office to complain. Packs of wild dogs running around are dangerous, they will kill someone or a child eventually. In the mean time they'll kill off all the wildlife, and spread disease.

Don't carry your pistol unlicensed unless you're on your land. I can't imagine the line about walking to your car would work, and it is also illegal to speak lies into government statements/reports. Shotguns are cheap, and if you need to use it, no warning shots.
Its one of the poorest counties in Texas, Starr county! Also you can have a handgun in your car legally is that correct without a LTC..

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Xenu45 wrote:
Txtension wrote:

Its one of the poorest counties in Texas, Starr county! Also you can have a handgun in your car legally is that correct without a LTC..
Correct. You may carry your pistol in your vehicle under the Motorist Protection Act.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Recent objections of academy aside, http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossber ... tid=298704

There is also a 20ga version for the same price as I was looking at their site. You can carry this legally without a permit, although I would be careful as people may still call the cops for an MWAG if they aren't used to seeing it.

It is ultimately up to you on if you want to carry a long gun, mace, etc since you don't have an LTC, but everyone here is right about carrying a pistol without a permit - don't do it.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
Xenu45

Post by Xenu45 »

I've felt very welcomed here on this forum as a first time poster! Thank you all some much for giving me some very good advice on this topic!
Hopefully I can get A LTC soon! You guys are very nice :cheers2:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”