Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Post by gringo pistolero »

AJSully421 wrote:County tyrants about to get smacked by the TXLEG!
Probably more like another toothless fines for signs law. :grumble

Once upon a time, Americans knew how to deal with tyrants.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Texas Carry Executive Director sued for filing signage complaint against Waller County

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Russell wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:Do you know of a bill or plans to file one? I mean something other than Holcomb's comment.

Chas.

They never mentioned any bill numbers or anything in the call, just that they are being "worked on". Something about wanting to remove governmental immunity to allow individual lawsuits for posting illegal signage.
I've already written a bill to "fix" the "fines for signs" law. Sovereign immunity has nothing to do with either "fines for signs" or the Holcomb lawsuit. I was asking about a bill to deal with lawsuits like the one filed against Holcomb.

Chas.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 4

Post by AJSully421 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
AJSully421 wrote:
Russell wrote:Just got off the conference call, it did not go in Terry's favor at all but they kind of expected that given the good old boy system there.

They are working on the appeals already, and he said that several legislators called him to express concern. The legislators are working on a bill to prevent this kind of retaliation from happening again.
County tyrants about to get smacked by the TXLEG!
Do you know of a bill or plans to file one? I mean something other than Holcomb's comment.

Chas.
No sir, my comment was just a general "Go get 'em!" from me.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

RossA
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by RossA »

After being a trial lawyer for almost 30 years, I really don't blame people for filing frivolous lawsuits. People are evil, power hungry and greedy. That is the human condition. As such, I expect such things.
I DO blame judges who do not rule properly from the bench. It is their job to be the wall between evil people and the rest of society.
Sadly disappointed in this one.
God and the soldier we adore,
In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

puma guy wrote:
ELB wrote:In recent memory:

Sarah Bland. (not first hanging at the jail, just the most recent).

A few months ago two sheriff's cars were burgled for 8 weapons.

Right now Sheriff is in the spotlight again because he can't account for two more weapons his department owns.

Lawsuit against Holcomb.

Seems to be a cloud of "win" over Waller County.
Looks like these guys are losing firearms right and left. This article from December '15 reports 10 weapons, two from a county commissioner and eight from the sheriff, including a machine gun. Now two more are missing. I understand why they will prosecute anyone who disobeys their illegal 30.0/07 signs. They're trying to rebuild their firearms inventory. :lol: They're more interested in pursuing the most law abiding group of people in Texas rather than the criminals stealing their property.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/let-th ... on-7984386
If sworn peace officers are actually illegally enforcing the county's corrupted will in defiance of state law, then I would not be one bit surprised if searches of the homes of the involved officers turned up the missing weapons........including the machine gun. It sounds like they've got themselves a nice little mafioso deal going on down there. It's time to drain that swamp too. Why the heck don't the county's voters do something about it? If county officials are that corrupt on this issue, they are almost certainly corrupt in other areas of the law too. Surely there must be a growing body of county voters who are fed up with business as usual?
Jago668 wrote:I bet if I "lost" an automatic weapon the ATF would be in my business with a microscope.
Exactly..
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

The Governor and AG need to send DPS to investigate the missing guns, suspicious deaths in custody, and a pattern of official oppression. I'm willing to bet a case of ammo what we know so far is just the tip of the iceberg of corruption and malfeasance in Waller County.
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

Treybadd

Post by Treybadd »

Have there been any new developments in this fiasco?

locke_n_load
Posts in topic: 6

Post by locke_n_load »

Appeal filed January 4th.
CHL Holder since 10/08
NRA Certified Instructor
Former LTC Instructor

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 4

Post by treadlightly »

How bold of Waller County - the lawsuit states as uncontroverted that the AG agrees with Holcombe and that the County disagrees with the AG.

It would be funny, but now I'm skeered to travel in Waller County, "skeered" being the state of youthful terror commonly brought about by spiders.

If I understand correctly, Holcombe sent letters demanding the County obey the law as he and the AG understand it.

What if I am found in violation of traffic law in Waller County and issued a ticket? Worse, what if I paid the ticket without objection?

My check for fine payment to Waller County would be, in effect, a demand document requiring the County to take my money and abide by the laws regarding punishment.

I would hate to be sued for paying a traffic fine, and if I weren't, I would hate to think I were treated with greater deference than Mr. Holcombe.

I would really hate to think Waller County would decline to sue on the basis of monetary benefit. That turns a noble speeding ticket into some kind of bribery.

Disclaimer - I can't remember much about Holcombe or his organization. My ramblings are for the sole purpose of poking fun at Waller County, not to either endorse or discredit Mr. Holcombe.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Russell wrote:Just wanted to bump this back up with some fantastic news!

Holcomb won on appeal, and Waller County's lawsuit against him for daring to complain about their signage was dismissed!

The lawsuit the AG has open against Waller County for their signage will now go forward.

Opinion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dpyG-Q ... 8Hu5w/view
Excellent news Russell! I look forward to the day we remove the ‘entire courthouse’ from the database.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

BBYC
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BBYC »

Good news if we elect an AG who will vigorously pursue these civil rights violations.
God, grant me serenity to accept the things I can't change
Courage to change the things I can
And the firepower to make a difference.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

The Houston 1st Court of Appeals also ordered the trial court to conduct a hearing to determine the attorney fees and other costs of litigation the county must pay to Terry. The opinion makes it clear the court better award the money, or the appellate court will.

It was a great result. I'm going to do a podcast on this case pointing out the absurdity of the suit that was filed by the county and the judicial abuse by the judge who ruled in the county's favor.

Chas.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”