No open carry at Costco in Frisco

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SoConfused
Posts in topic: 5

No open carry at Costco in Frisco

Post by SoConfused »

I can't add to the texas3006 app since they don't have a sign, so I figured I would post here.

I was open carrying there for the second time today. Last time was a very busy Saturday and I didn't receive notice. Today was very slow due to the dreary, rainy weather.

The manager approached me and asked if I was a LEO. I said no. He then informed me that corporate policy is not to allow open carry, although the desicion was made not to post signage.

I was dressed nicely in black dress slacks and a turquoise polo shirt. I untucked, which didn't quite cover the entire pistol, leaving part of the muzzle and tac light exposed. However, this was enough to satisfy the manager. He was initially very nervous and then quite friendly after I covered, informing me he also had an LTC.

I'll continue to patronize Costco since I certainly understand a business allowing concealed carry, but not wanting sales hurt by offending any anti gun patrons.

jkurtz
Posts in topic: 3

Re: No open carry at Costco in Frisco

Post by jkurtz »

Costco actually has a no firearms policy per their membership agreement, though it does not meet 30.06/30.07 language.

Topic author
SoConfused

Post by SoConfused »

jkurtz wrote:Costco actually has a no firearms policy per their membership agreement, though it does not meet 30.06/30.07 language.
Wow! If that's true, I'm glad he didn't enforce that policy so I can continue to concealing there legally!

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

SoConfused wrote:
jkurtz wrote:Costco actually has a no firearms policy per their membership agreement, though it does not meet 30.06/30.07 language.
Wow! If that's true, I'm glad he didn't enforce that policy so I can continue to concealing there legally!
You certainly are lucky that he did not tell you no guns period. Perhaps it had something to do with him also having an LTC. Their policy can be found in the following link:

http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html

The part regarding firearms is the 2nd bullet from the bottom under the "General Policies" headline.

Topic author
SoConfused

Post by SoConfused »

jkurtz wrote:
SoConfused wrote:
You certainly are lucky that he did not tell you no guns period. Perhaps it had something to do with him also having an LTC. Their policy can be found in the following link:

http://www.costco.com/member-privileges-conditions.html

The part regarding firearms is the 2nd bullet from the bottom under the "General Policies" headline.
Yes, thanks. I just found the same thing. Strange that they would issue a policy that may annoy pro gun people, but seemingly make it impossible to enforce. It's like don't ask don't tell for buying in bulk!

Will Beararms
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Will Beararms »

Don't they have to have the signage by TX law to enforce no open and/or concealed carry?

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

Will Beararms wrote:Don't they have to have the signage by TX law to enforce no open and/or concealed carry?
No, they can always provide oral notice to enforce it, as they did in OP's situation.
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Please refrain from OC at COSTCO or any discount warehouse. Carry Concealed.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Beiruty wrote:Please refrain from OC at COSTCO or any discount warehouse. Carry Concealed.
:iagree: I am completely content with concealed.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I actually just joined Costco yesterday and visited the Katy location. I CC'd without issue, and did not see any 30.06 signage. There is a 30.07 sign there but it is on a side door to access a particular area (I think the liquor area) so there are no valid 30.07 signs (30.07 requires every entrance to be posted).

As far as Costco cancelling your membership, I wouldn't worry too much about that since II believe their policy is to give a full refund (not prorated) if you do cancel. So worst case, you get to shop there for a while then get all your money back if they spot your weapon and push the issue.

The bigger concern would be a repeat of the incident that happened a few years ago in Vegas. Costco employees and the responding cops both had some culpability in that one, IMHO.

mr1337
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr1337 »

Beiruty wrote:Please refrain from OC at COSTCO or any discount warehouse. Carry Concealed.
I would assume that Sam's Club would be okay with OC since they're owned by Wal-Mart
Keep calm and carry.

Licensing (n.) - When government takes away your right to do something and sells it back to you.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

That's my Costco and the manager is good people.

techenigma

Post by techenigma »

Apparently not good enough people. I understand this is a corporate thing, but come on.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

techenigma wrote:Apparently not good enough people. I understand this is a corporate thing, but come on.
He sounds pretty good to me. Despite a corporate policy forbidding firearms, the manger only told the OP not to OC.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”