CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 1

Questions about your religion from strangers

Post by rp_photo »

http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... minnesota/

Given multiple incidents abroad and now domestically, I would consider an inquiry from a stranger as to whether I was a Muslim to be a threat and at the very least get my hand on my weapon and command them to get back.

How do others feel about this, and could use of force (drawing but not shooting) be legally justified? Of course deadly force wouldn't be justifiable unless there were other distinct threats.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Questions about your religion from strangers

Post by Oldgringo »

I think a stranger might ask me a lot of questions but, "are you a muslim" ain't one of them. :roll:

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

Oldgringo wrote:I think a stranger might ask me a lot of questions but, "are you a muslim" ain't one of them. :roll:
:iagree: I'm in the same boat as you on that one.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

bdgyeah

Post by bdgyeah »

That's a really good question. Given todays environment, I can see where that could be considered a threat. But its all circumstantial. Here's something else. What about someone standing in crowd right next to you , and out of the blue starts screaming Allahu Akbar at the top of his lungs? I would consider that a huge threat. When I worked for DHS, (in an unarmed security position) we were told continuously that if we saw that, run away as fast as you can like there is no tomorrow. Now if the Government is telling its unarmed personnel to do that, is a civilian justified in perceiving a threat and not retreating. I would think so. Me personally, with my family present, if that happened next to me, I will take my chances all day long with a jury of my peers.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I have thought about this after reading this latest incident. If the family is with me, I will tell my wife to get the kids away. I would at the very least tuck my shirt behind my pistol but would not draw unless there was a weapon. I don't know what my verbal response would be but probably some form of a colourful expression to get away from me.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rp_photo wrote:http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... minnesota/

Given multiple incidents abroad and now domestically, I would consider an inquiry from a stranger as to whether I was a Muslim to be a threat and at the very least get my hand on my weapon and command them to get back.

How do others feel about this, and could use of force (drawing but not shooting) be legally justified? Of course deadly force wouldn't be justifiable unless there were other distinct threats.
There would have to be a lot of other circumstances before I considered this question to be a threat. If it was coming from a group of skinheads who had surrounded me, and asked with a sneer, then yes there would be a threat. Actually I would perceive a threat before they even opened their mouths. But just a random question from someone who otherwise looks non-threatening, and is by themselves? Barely moves me a tiny, tiny, bit further into condition yellow.

Also, a threat does not equate to a response of force for me. I would go on alert and get ready to act if needed, while trying to remove myself from the threat peacefully if at all possible.

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

This is such a situational question that there is no single right answer. Like others who have responded above, I travel extensively, and I am regularly in unique situations with a cornucopia of cultural influences all around.

We really need to read our questioner in this situation. Many cultures are simply inquisitive to a level that makes Americans feel uncomfortable - but that's just normal for them.

But to be honest, as recently as the start of W's administration, I had never even left the US, much less be able to instantly differentiate a Singaporean, Indonesian, , and a Filipino - or an Omani from a Kuwaiti.

So if we cannot read our questioner, we need to at the very least read our situation. But I'm sure most of us on here could write the equivalent of a master's thesis on that topic, so I won't bore you with my take on the subject.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

If some random stranger stops me and starts in with a question regarding my religion, I would not answer them.

I would walk away from them pronto while not taking my eyes off them for as long I deemed it necessary for me to get to cover.

Neither you or I are any under any obligation to engage in such personal questions with a stranger.

I will also add, were I to encounter such a questioner, depending on my temper at the time, I just may tell them the classic, "None of your darn business" and keep walking.

I know some of you are more forgiving of busy body (or possibly dangerous) type strangers with their disrespectful questions, but I'm not one em...

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Give em a front kick to the chest like King Leonidas. :lol:
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I'd perhaps start talking in my native language (serbo-croatian), occasionally repeating "I speak no English , me not understand you...", creating a distraction while I assess the situation/person further.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

I wonder if some folks were awake in class when use of force was covered? Verbal provocation is not available defense for any use of force.
PC 9.31
(b) The use of force against another is not justified:
(1) in response to verbal provocation alone;
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

twomillenium,

What religion are you?

That's a very personal question isn't it?

For me, that's the point of this thread, not blasting away at the questioner, but finding such a question one that raises my hackles...

I guess though, this whole scenario is moot for me as I've never encountered any random stranger asking me personal questions as I guess I don't appear very approachable for such a question.

I might if asked about my religion, ask in turn which caliber they prefer and stand back to witness their response.

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

Touch the gun? Unmask by tucking the shirt behind the gun? I worry that would be taken as bluster, or a challenge.

Maybe I'm too timid. I think, for me, the steps leading to a decision to defend should be taken in confidence of inner counsel without revealing possible defensive measures on my part.

Just my opinion, likely flawed.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OP's question has been removed from its actual context.

Let me see....... the guy has left a trail of bleeding bodies behind him while shouting aloha snackbar, all this is in plain sight (this is a mall), he's got a knife in his hands and a crazy look on his face, and his hands are covered with blood, and he asks me what religion I am?

Nearly every word of dialog uttered by Raylan Givens facing a bad guy during all 6 seasons of "Justified" come to mind. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, in that situation, I doubt I'd answer the question. I'd just get ready for what I think is coming next.

Now...... in a normal kind of social interaction? I'd answer that question all day long and look forward to the conversation. I'm always willing to talk about my own faith, and to learn the other's spiritual condition. I took part in some evangelizing in a Grapevine coffee shop just yesterday morning, to a young South African couple. It was a wonderful and memorable exchange. What sweet people.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”