CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
EdnaBambrick
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

30.06 sign but no 30.07

Post by EdnaBambrick »

The 30.06 sign reads - "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun."

If there's no 30.07 sign, would this mean that you could open carry into that same establishment ? The gun is no longer concealed.

casp625
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 30.06 sign but no 30.07

Post by casp625 »

EdnaBambrick wrote:The 30.06 sign reads - "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun."

If there's no 30.07 sign, would this mean that you could open carry into that same establishment ? The gun is no longer concealed.
Or you could enter with a partially visible handgun - with say part of the grip or muzzle showing.

loktite

Post by loktite »

Yes, you *could* enter said establishment open carrying. You'll most likely be told by employee/management ( or police called by aforementioned )that no guns are allowed, and will be required to immediately leave. I believe the majority of us here would suggest that you simply take your business elsewhere.
NRA Endowment Member

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 6

Post by ScottDLS »

And if you do enter open carrying and are told "you can't wear that in here", that will mean that you are for eternity banned from carrying on any property owned by that store, or any store with any shareholders in common with that store, even if you are later told that it's OK by the board of directors via a shareholder resolution...and public stockholder vote. You will be placed in FBI and TX DPS "rap back" system and your membership to Costco will be canceled for cause and your picture posted at the Post Office....and you will never be able to get a DoD security clearance or work at a refinery or chemical plant... and your CDL and TWIC will be revoked....

...or so I've heard. :shock:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote:And if you do enter open carrying and are told "you can't wear that in here", that will mean that you are for eternity banned from carrying on any property owned by that store, or any store with any shareholders in common with that store, even if you are later told that it's OK by the board of directors via a shareholder resolution...and public stockholder vote. You will be placed in FBI and TX DPS "rap back" system and your membership to Costco will be canceled for cause and your picture posted at the Post Office....and you will never be able to get a DoD security clearance or work at a refinery or chemical plant... and your CDL and TWIC will be revoked....

Don't forget that you may also have to TAKE THE RIDE!!!!!! even if you beat the rap.

Dreamer42

Post by Dreamer42 »

I have to disagree with the "take a ride" statement. If we are a society of laws, and we agree words mean what they say - these signs posted are Texas law created by our elected officials - and hence mean exactly what is intended and no more, then I see no reason why you can't legally OC. Might they ask you to leave? Of course. But you would certainly be legal OCing and I doubt you'd be harassed by LEO.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

ScottDLS wrote:And if you do enter open carrying and are told "you can't wear that in here", that will mean that you are for eternity banned from carrying on any property owned by that store, or any store with any shareholders in common with that store, even if you are later told that it's OK by the board of directors via a shareholder resolution...and public stockholder vote. You will be placed in FBI and TX DPS "rap back" system and your membership to Costco will be canceled for cause and your picture posted at the Post Office....and you will never be able to get a DoD security clearance or work at a refinery or chemical plant... and your CDL and TWIC will be revoked....

This is ridiculous and old!
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

mojo84 wrote:

This is ridiculous and old!
Yet we see it repeated....(at least the first line) regularly. :???:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

And to be fair the the original question. YES you can legally OPEN carry into a business with only a 30.06 sign, until the owner or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner informs you orally, or via specific written communication, that you cannot.

KLB

Post by KLB »

What one can arguably get away with and what is a good idea are seldom the same thing.

Peaces

Post by Peaces »

Maybe I am just naive but would just abide by what isposted and carry in concealed.

rexmitchell

Post by rexmitchell »

Peaces wrote:Maybe I am just naive but would just abide by what isposted and carry in concealed.
So intentionally ignore the sign?

mojo84
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mojo84 »

Peaces wrote:Maybe I am just naive but would just abide by what isposted and carry in concealed.
You may want to refresh your understanding of the meaning of the signs. ;-)
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Peaces

Post by Peaces »

Thanks for setting me straight. I thought 30.06 allowed for conceal. I was wrong.

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 12

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

KLB wrote:What one can arguably get away with and what is a good idea are seldom the same thing.
:iagree:

You should not try to carry concealed because that would be wrong, even if you could get away with it.

Just make sure that a part of your gun is not concealed when you carry past this sign.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”