School playground

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ericjd0887
Posts in topic: 3

School playground

Post by Ericjd0887 »

Is it illegal to carry on person or in a duffle bag or back pack a handgun on a school playground? The reason I ask is because once a week a few guys from the neighborhood like to play pick up basketball at the local elementary school in the neighborhood. I know you can't carry in a school but what about on their playground/ track / basketball court? Or is it best to just leave it in the car? Which I have no problem doing but I am curious.

LucasMcCain
Posts in topic: 1

Re: School playground

Post by LucasMcCain »

Someone with greater knowledge than myself will probably chime in here in a minute. I think you would be fine as long as it is not during school hours. During school hours might still be legal, but would probably be a bad idea.

My only thought is that I can't think of a way to carry on body that I would feel comfortable with while playing basketball. There may be one; I just don't have one. If it's in a bag near you, that would probably be okay, but I would keep a real close eye on that bag.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

allisji

Post by allisji »

Not sure legally about carrying on the school playground, but personally I would leave it locked in the car in the parking lot. Too risky to leave it in a bag beside the court while you play. I'd rather have it locked in my locked box cable-tied to the underside of my carseat for security reasons.

If you don't have a locking box in your car for your gun, then you should consider getting one. I got mine from this company:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

It comes with a cable that can be attached through the locked box and to the rails under your car seat. Without a locked box you have to consider whether your gun is more likely to be stolen out of your car or out of your backpack.

I don't even care to leave my wallet and keys in my duffle bag by the court when I play because I can't keep my eye on it while I'm playing basketball.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
Ericjd0887

Post by Ericjd0887 »

allisji wrote:Not sure legally about carrying on the school playground, but personally I would leave it locked in the car in the parking lot. Too risky to leave it in a bag beside the court while you play. I'd rather have it locked in my locked box cable-tied to the underside of my carseat for security reasons.

If you don't have a locking box in your car for your gun, then you should consider getting one. I got mine from this company:

http://www.center-of-mass.com/

It comes with a cable that can be attached through the locked box and to the rails under your car seat. Without a locked box you have to consider whether your gun is more likely to be stolen out of your car or out of your backpack.

I don't even care to leave my wallet and keys in my duffle bag by the court when I play because I can't keep my eye on it while I'm playing basketball.
I definitely want to get a lock box for my vehicle. So thanks for this!

Topic author
Ericjd0887

Post by Ericjd0887 »

LucasMcCain wrote:Someone with greater knowledge than myself will probably chime in here in a minute. I think you would be fine as long as it is not during school hours. During school hours might still be legal, but would probably be a bad idea.

My only thought is that I can't think of a way to carry on body that I would feel comfortable with while playing basketball. There may be one; I just don't have one. If it's in a bag near you, that would probably be okay, but I would keep a real close eye on that bag.

Thank you for the response. Yeah, I can't think of a way to carry and play but usually when we do play, it's just us so I feel ok with having my phone and wallet in a backpack off to the side, so now that I can carry I might be ok with having it my backpack as well. I don't feel ok leaving it in the car which is out of my site. And where my backpack would sit is no more then a few yards from where we actually play. It'll just sit right outside the concrete court.

Keith Bilbrey

Post by Keith Bilbrey »

Playground is not part of the "Premises" unless a school sponsored event is taking place there. If it is during recess (do they even do that anymore?) or any kind of practice (sports/band/whatever) I would stay away from it. IANAL, so that that for what it's worth. :cheers2:
Keith

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I often carry on the local school playground on the weekend, when my kids want to play out there, when school is not in session.

It is my understanding (OPINION!, not legal advice.) that the only time the grounds are off limits is when an "activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted". I carry at the local HS track on the weekend, as long as there are no teams/bands practicing there or no other SCHOOL events taking place. A local league / non-school soccer practice is not a school event, IMO.

TX PC 46.03 http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/ ... 46-03.html
(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private .................
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”