Got pulled over by DPS Trooper

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Dusty Rivers
Posts in topic: 2

Got pulled over by DPS Trooper

Post by Dusty Rivers »

Got pulled over by a Texas DPS Trooper. New Car bought at 10 PM late dealer purchase. Took till 10 PM to get the paperwork done. Dealer didn't have a tag.

Trooper observed no tag and lite me up. I pulled over, put the window down and put both hands on top of the steering wheel right in his lights. He walks up and explains why he pulled me over. First thing out of my mouth is I have a concealed carry ( actually a carry permit now) permit and I am carrying. He says ok, where is it? I say on my hip. He says ok. Then I explain why I have no temp tag. He says the salesman told you wrong that it was ok to drive home. Then he says let me see your driver's license. I do not move. He says - no wait where is your gun? I say on my right hip. He says where is your driver's license. I say on my left hip. He says ok I trust you let me see your license. He then proceeds to shine his flashlight on my left hand as I dig my wallet out of my left back pocket. He then says let me see the sales paperwork. I say it is in the trunk. He says ok get out and get them. We proceed to the trunk. I open it and pull out a folder from a bag full of stuff I emptied out of my trade in. He looks at the paperwork, walks around to the front and checks the vin number against the paperwork. He then says get back in. He goes back to his car and runs my license, comes back up and gives me a written warning for which I sign. My wife and I thank him and we are on our way home.

Super great interaction. He never asked to see my gun or my permit. He didn't go through my bag of junk in the trunk. He was extremely respectful and so were we. I tried to make him as safe as possible and he apparently returned the favor. Hats off th the Texas DPS Troopers. They are first rate. Thanks trooper! Glad I gave this subject a lot of thought prior. :tiphat: Any body know how I can thank him?

WildBill

Re: Got pulled over by DPS Trooper

Post by WildBill »

Dusty Rivers wrote:Any body know how I can thank him?
Keep obeying the law and get the paperwork for your new car. :mrgreen:
Last edited by WildBill on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 3

Post by vjallen75 »

Dusty Rivers wrote:Got pulled over by a Texas DPS Trooper. New Car bought at 10 PM late dealer purchase. Took till 10 PM to get the paperwork done. Dealer didn't have a tag.

Trooper observed no tag and lite me up. I pulled over, put the window down and put both hands on top of the steering wheel right in his lights. He walks up and explains why he pulled me over. First thing out of my mouth is I have a concealed carry ( actually a carry permit now) permit and I am carrying. He says ok, where is it? I say on my hip. He says ok. Then I explain why I have no temp tag. He says the salesman told you wrong that it was ok to drive home. Then he says let me see your driver's license. I do not move. He says - no wait where is your gun? I say on my right hip. He says where is your driver's license. I say on my left hip. He says ok I trust you let me see your license. He then proceeds to shine his flashlight on my left hand as I dig my wallet out of my left back pocket. He then says let me see the sales paperwork. I say it is in the trunk. He says ok get out and get them. We proceed to the trunk. I open it and pull out a folder from a bag full of stuff I emptied out of my trade in. He looks at the paperwork, walks around to the front and checks the vin number against the paperwork. He then says get back in. He goes back to his car and runs my license, comes back up and gives me a written warning for which I sign. My wife and I thank him and we are on our way home.

Super great interaction. He never asked to see my gun or my permit. He didn't go through my bag of junk in the trunk. He was extremely respectful and so were we. I tried to make him as safe as possible and he apparently returned the favor. Hats off th the Texas DPS Troopers. They are first rate. Thanks trooper! Glad I gave this subject a lot of thought prior. :tiphat: Any body know how I can thank him?
They should have printed you a tag before you left, that was very negligent on their part to do so. I understand they were most likely ready to get you out of there but still..

I am always glad to hear of positive LEO interactions. I think you three all going home safely is the best thanks you can give. Baked goodies are always a great way to say thank you.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

vjallen75
Posts in topic: 3

Post by vjallen75 »

WildBill wrote:
Dusty Rivers wrote:Any body know how I can thank him?
Keep obeying the law and get the paperwork for your new car. :mrgreen:
You beat me to it :tiphat:
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

His name and badge number are on the citation, use that in a letter to the department..
Word will be sent to him.
Done it more than a few times.

If I may.... why announce you have a gun? vice wating to be asked for your DL, and then as the law requires provide both DL and LTC?

I dont see what you did as wrong...just adding more to what is already a complex stop. Responding or stating anything what was not in answer to a direct question is likley to make things "different" in thier mind......or at least from what I have learned from officers I know.

LEO says DL and insurance, he is anticipating something like "Yes Sir, in wallet and glove compartment, may I?"
Having the first words out of your mouth "I have a concealed carry " seems to be making it the focus.. you not saying good evening, you not saying what can I do sir? but TELLING him you have a gun.... Vice letting him lead the conversation and your responses are to those questions...seems to me a more calming way of interacting.

Your stop went well. polite, professional and great outcome.,, so you, nor the officer did any wrong ..well done. Just food for thought.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Bayoutalker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Bayoutalker »

If he hadn't told him he was carrying and in the process the trooper saw the gun it could have gone south quickly. Better to put the info out there so everyone is informed.
Cliff H.
Beaumont, TX

NTexCopRetired

Post by NTexCopRetired »

Sorry, disagree with E.Marquez. The first thing, unless instructed otherwise, is to let the officer know you have a LTC, you are armed and where it is located. He will plan the rest of his interactions with you based on that.

If he opens his door and orders you out of the car and on the ground through a loud speaker, you do that first.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Good interaction, but I have a few suggestions;
1. Carry your handgun on one side, your wallet on the other. Makes a better balance reduces the chance of accidental exposure when fishing for your wallet and reduces the opportunity for the cop to get stressed or twitchy.

2.Try get your wallet out before the officer gets to your window, only do this if you can do it without a lot of fidgeting. Hold the wallet so the officer can clearly see and identify it.

3. Give the officer an opportunity to ask for your license or ID , When he asks present both your CHL and drivers license at the same time. Let him ask the questions. What we are trying to do is to make him comfortable with him being in charge and not introducing a surprise like an announcing "I gotta gun"

Silly little things, I know, but these little things can help the officer feel a little safer and maybe reduce a little stress in his life.

There is no reason to announce you have a gun until asked.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Liberty wrote:Good interaction, but I have a few suggestions;
1. Carry your handgun on one side, your wallet on the other. Makes a better balance reduces the chance of accidental exposure when fishing for your wallet and reduces the opportunity for the cop to get stressed or twitchy.

2.Try get your wallet out before the officer gets to your window, only do this if you can do it without a lot of fidgeting. Hold the wallet so the officer can clearly see and identify it.

3. Give the officer an opportunity to ask for your license or ID , When he asks present both your CHL and drivers license at the same time. Let him ask the questions. What we are trying to do is to make him comfortable with him being in charge and not introducing a surprise like an announcing "I gotta gun"

Silly little things, I know, but these little things can help the officer feel a little safer and maybe reduce a little stress in his life.

:iagree: I agree with all of Liberty's points.
NRA Endowment Member

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

What he says^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Last time I got pulled over I had both licenses in my left hand and both on the wheel. The only time my carry was discussed was what type i was wearing? Then I got my $200.00 ticket and drove off.

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

Also, FWIW: http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/register ... ry-permits
Shouldn't have to do that with a dealer, and you'll still be tagless, but it does give you something to keep on the dash for the drive home.

der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

Yeah, except for #2 — there's no possible way for me to get my wallet out unless I unfasten my seat belt, and I want to make absolutely certain that the officer knows I was wearing that seat belt. So, I just sit there and wait for him to come up, then I do what I'm told.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. — Rudyard Kipling
NRA Endowment Member
TSRA Life Member

Acronym Esq

Post by Acronym Esq »

Dusty Rivers wrote:Got pulled over by a Texas DPS Trooper... Super great interaction. He never asked to see my gun or my permit. He didn't go through my bag of junk in the trunk. He was extremely respectful and so were we.
I enjoy all the "what if" and technical suggestions of how do do it differently. All that aside, thanks for the post on one proven way to do it right.

Acronym 10/4/2016 9:27 PM

doncb

Post by doncb »

The whole thing that "some" people don't understand is that you listen to what the officer says. Cooperate and above all don't be stupid! Everybody goes home. If you don't do what the officer tells you to do, you won't come out ahead.

One bit of advice. Always take your wallet out of your pocket when you get in the car. Two reasons. You don't have to go fishing around for it in your pocket and it is better for your back to not be setting on it.
If you're standing still, you're loosing.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

NTexCopRetired wrote:Sorry, disagree with E.Marquez. The first thing, unless instructed otherwise, is to let the officer know you have a LTC, you are armed and where it is located. He will plan the rest of his interactions with you based on that.

If he opens his door and orders you out of the car and on the ground through a loud speaker, you do that first.
Your username implies you are a retired TX LEO, thank you for your service to our state and clearly your experience is greater then mine..

That said.... I only know from experience what has worked well for me, and what others have said worked well for them.

Every criminal is an offender, not every offender is a criminal.. Im occasionally an offender with the speed law, a light out, or just a suspicious person by virtue of where aI work at nights.. So I commonly have a few encounters a year... Everyone has expressed appreciation for when and how i told them I was armed.

I have always been asked for my DL at the beginning of a stop, if memory serves it literally is the first request of the officer, other then something safety related... the LEo is in control,, when they are ready to ask for my ID I will provide it and my LTC thereby informing them at the very beginning of the encounter.

Additionally, on the many ride alongs I was required to do while i served as a Senior NCO here at Fort Hood (and a few i did anyway), all the officers, mostly senior guys, most of them TO's advised reporting the weapon as I described, to answer questions not forward info, to listen and comply, and never try and lead the encounter. They further advised that anything the suspect did that was not in direct response to what was asked, or anything that was not anticipated, was cause for concern. ..Not saying a polite "Evening officer, not yet sure why you stopped me, but wanted to let you know im a licensed concealed carrier" is worng or a bad idea... just not what my experience suggests is the better idea.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”