ID required with CHL/LTC for handgun purchases?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
SkyWipe
Posts in topic: 2

ID required with CHL/LTC for handgun purchases?

Post by SkyWipe »

I'm getting two different opinions from my circle of friends regarding purchasing requirements for a handgun in Texas. It was my understanding that the CHL/LTC is a recognized form of state ID issued by the state and that presenting it to an FFL for a gun purchase meets ID requirements and satisfies background check requirements. But the last time I purchased a handgun (a few months ago at the Big Town gun show) they would not sell me one with just my CHL, they demanded a drivers license or state issued ID card.

So what's the verdict? Do I need to show a DL/ID with my LTC?

Teamless

Re: ID required with CHL/LTC for handgun purchases?

Post by Teamless »

I have bought several guns from Academy, The Arms Room and other FFL locations

Only the CHL was used

It could be their "company policy", but it's not state law to require a 2nd ID
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

It sounds like company policy. CHL is sufficient.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

All firearm purchases I've made since getting LTC I have provided just my LTC as identification
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

n5wmk

Post by n5wmk »

Yep, ever since I got my CHL, I've made a number of FFL purchases through Bullet Trap in Plano. CHL (today LTC) was all they ever asked for. Suspect it's store policy to ask for a second ID.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Weg

Post by Weg »

I have never bought a gun in which I was not asked for both my DL and my CHL, in fact the phrase I most always hear is , " need your DL and your CHL if you have one". I guess if I did not have a DL, but only a CHL, they would only get the CHL. Never really thought about it.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

SkyWipe,

It sounds like the seller has a somewhat arrogant attitude towards it's customers.

I believe if I ever run into that attitude from a retailer, I'd politely say, "Bye" and walk away.

There are a few times in life when you just have to tolerate certain attitudes and times you don't...

WinoVeritas

Post by WinoVeritas »

Don't recall if ever asked for both, I just give both whether LGS, FFL or parking lot (buyer or seller & I write down their license plate number, too). No deal breaker either way.

greenbeer

Post by greenbeer »

My assumption on their wanting both is that Texas will issue out of state residents an LTC. Nowni don't know if a non resident license says non resident or not. But a dealer may be concerned over that. With that said I've only ever presented my LTC And have never had an issue
In Sig I trust.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Abraham wrote:SkyWipe,

It sounds like the seller has a somewhat arrogant attitude towards it's customers.

I believe if I ever run into that attitude from a retailer, I'd politely say, "Bye" and walk away.

There are a few times in life when you just have to tolerate certain attitudes and times you don't...
Not necessarily, I ask for both during my transfers. It has shown the ATF that I am trying to completely ID my Customers. If you were to object to giving me both, I would simply ask for your Driver License and then run you through ENICS.

As a dealer, it's my butt on the line with the ATF, not yours.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

PBratton wrote:
Not necessarily, I ask for both during my transfers. It has shown the ATF that I am trying to completely ID my Customers. If you were to object to giving me both, I would simply ask for your Driver License and then run you through ENICS.

As a dealer, it's my butt on the line with the ATF, not yours.
But, with 'just' the CHL/LTC, aren't you still following the law?
If so, why do you need to 'prove' anything else to ATF?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Keith B »

Probably just a method of seeing a 2nd ID to make sure the CHL is really your's. I know it has a photo on it, but my picture looks terrible and you might not be able to tell it's really me since I am so good looking in person... :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

I just got done with about 9,000 hours of ATF compliance training. It is NOT required to have both. One or the other is sufficient to purchase a weapon, however a CHL/LTC obviously exempts a background check. I'm sure it was just that company's policy, and not a bad one to have honestly; double checking identity in such a fragile situation is only good practice. However just limiting to handguns is kind of weird and off balance.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”