What would you do?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 5

What would you do?

Post by thetexan »

As you pull into your driveway during the day you notice a person coming out of your garage. You stop and get out and pull gun and tell him to freeze which he does. You call the police and they are on their way.

The intruder then decides to casually start to walk away disputed the fact that you are pointing the gun at him and telling him don't move.

What do you do?

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 6

Re: What would you do?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

thetexan wrote:As you pull into your driveway during the day you notice a person coming out of your garage. You stop and get out and pull gun and tell him to freeze which he does. You call the police and they are on their way.

The intruder then decides to casually start to walk away disputed the fact that you are pointing the gun at him and telling him don't move.

What do you do?

tex
Does he have any of my property in his hands? If not, get out my cellphone, take a picture, and let him walk. I do NOT want to get physical and go to ground with him. When the cops come, show them the picture. They'll find him. If his arms are full of my television, it's easy enough to take a bat to his shins, which will likely stop him AND make him drop the TV. :mrgreen:
Last edited by The Annoyed Man on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lambda Force
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lambda Force »

Stay alert, reholster if and when I feel safe to do so, and wait for the cops because I don't know if his accomplices are inside my house.
Tyranny is identified by what is legal for government employees but illegal for the citizenry.

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 5

Post by thetexan »

Let's say he has a bag of your golf clubs in his hands.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Jump out PRESS CHECK summersault kick to the throat PRESS CHECK land after a double backflip do a PRESS CHECK!

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

IMHO...nobody's life is worth a set of golf clubs. If I'm in fear of my life, I take action accordingly. On the other hand, if he's walking off with property, I'm with TAM...take a photo and let him leave. My best friend went through this exact situation. He said he watched the guy run off through through his sight picture.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

If I can confirm that house is secure, follow at a safe distance keeping 911 on the line if possible.

Had this exact situation happen years ago, followed the (petty) thief at a safe distance and saw him go right into his own home down the block and around the corner. Turned out that he was a troubled youth, a known problem for his parents and the neighborhood and after I spoke with his parents, they finally went the next step and obtained more professional assistance in dealing with this kid. No problems after that, although I never did get my beer back... :roll:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I try to stay well read. These situations are addressed as best they can with some excellent books that of course need to be read ahead of time. My favorites are The Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird and Armed Response by David Kenik. There are plenty of good books and the advice above is excellent that your property is not worth a nasty conflict that may cost you much more in legal fees. If this information fails I'd second cmgee67's with "WAAAAAA, CHU, CHU, BIFF, YEEE HAAAAW, MMMMM CRUNCH!!! ... scan area
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

I have always told my students that if I come home and see someone walking out my front door with my TV, I'd hold the door for them (maybe some slight hyperbole). Stuff can be replaced. Don't get me wrong; I like stuff, but I don't own anything that I'd be willing to take a life over.

The other side of the coin is that, if they try to come in uninvited while I'm home, all bets are off.
NRA lifetime member

Trinitite

Post by Trinitite »

thetexan wrote:Let's say he has a bag of your golf clubs in his hands.
I'd get the Ford out of Dodge because I'm at the wrong house.

The Annoyed Man

thetexan wrote:Let's say he has a bag of your golf clubs in his hands.

tex
Pull the 9 iron out of the bag, wind up, and let him have it across the shins full force. If that doesn't work, grab a 4 wood and hit him in the crotch. If that doesn't work whack him across the bridge of the nose with your putter.

I'm only half kidding. I don't mind hitting someone who is stealing property out of my garage with some kind of facsimile of a "big stick".......but I'm NOT going to shoot someone over a bag of golf clubs. It's just not worth it. I hate golf.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

The Annoyed Man

KC5AV wrote:I have always told my students that if I come home and see someone walking out my front door with my TV, I'd hold the door for them (maybe some slight hyperbole). Stuff can be replaced. Don't get me wrong; I like stuff, but I don't own anything that I'd be willing to take a life over.

The other side of the coin is that, if they try to come in uninvited while I'm home, all bets are off.
THIS ^^

That's why I have homeowners insurance.

And a shotgun.

#TINVOWOOT

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Video document the suspect and the open garage, call 911. If person leaves in a vehicle, get video of vehicle/occupants/plates. If the person leaves on foot, running video while following to keep the suspect located might or might not be an option, depending on a whole bunch of things that are not present in a short paragraph description of hypothetical situation.....
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

If I am pulling in my driveway and he's coming out of my garage I think my foot might slip on the accelerator as I'm trying to park in the garage.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

miljet

Post by miljet »

I don't own anything that I'd be willing to take a life over.
I always figured that I wasn't the one who decided his life was only worth a television, he made that decision when he decided to steal one.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”