Sign on NASA property

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sign on NASA property

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

ScottDLS wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:27 pm Yes I would, because the one case prosecuted under this Postal reg, against an Employee of the post office, specifically had the 18 USC 930 charges dropped because the gun was not in a facility. And the employee was convicted of the infraction and at the time was a max $50 fine. He also lost his job. Chas. mentioned a case where a NASA employee was charged under their regulations and he was charged with the infraction, but won his case because there was not a sign posted.

This stands against the off duty cops without LTC who risk their freedom by being armed in a school zone in violation of a Felony federal statute. And the MPA carriers, and out of state licensees and rifle carrying people etc. :evil2:

And I do park in Federal parking lots with my firearm in my car, unless I see a sign that purports to prohibit it, which I have not seen yet.
It would be impossible* for me to get a firearm from the store to my home without transporting that firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. I assume that many others are similarly situated. I would love to see a SCOTUS ruling on the GFSZA because, strictly enforced, it would mean that a significant percentage of the U.S. population could never own a firearm, including many active LEO's.

*In fairness I thought of one possible way. I could charter a helicopter and fly over all nearby schools at an altitude of more than 1,000 feet. Then I would need to either airdrop the firearm(s) hoping my aim is true, or rappel down to the ground with them, as there are no suitable landing areas for a helicopter near my house. However, I'm reasonably certain that this would violate at least one other law. Tunneling might be another option.

spectre
Banned

Post by spectre »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:08 pm It would be impossible* for me to get a firearm from the store to my home without transporting that firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. I assume that many others are similarly situated. I would love to see a SCOTUS ruling on the GFSZA because, strictly enforced, it would mean that a significant percentage of the U.S. population could never own a firearm, including many active LEO's.
It's impossible for you to unload the firearm and put it in a locked container while transporting it? :headscratch
I'm in a good place right now
Not emotionally or financially
But I am at the gun store

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Keith B wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:10 am The parking lot is still federal property, however I believe they turn a blind eye to parking lot storage, at least that was what I was told by a security person there a few years ago.
18 U.S. Code § 930 does not apply to parking lots. It uses "Federal facility" like Texas law uses "premises". At the Air Force leased facility I used to work in we got a Judge Advocate opinion supporting this.

(a) Except as provided in subsection (d), whoever knowingly possesses or causes to be present a firearm or other dangerous weapon in a Federal facility (other than a Federal court facility), or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 1 year, or both.
(b) Whoever, with intent that a firearm or other dangerous weapon be used in the commission of a crime, knowingly possesses or causes to be present such firearm or dangerous weapon in a Federal facility, or attempts to do so, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 5 years, or both.
(c) A person who kills any person in the course of a violation of subsection (a) or (b), or in the course of an attack on a Federal facility involving the use of a firearm or other dangerous weapon, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be punished as provided in sections 1111, 1112, 1113, and 1117.
(1) The term “Federal facility” means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

spectre wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:08 pm It would be impossible* for me to get a firearm from the store to my home without transporting that firearm within 1,000 feet of a school. I assume that many others are similarly situated. I would love to see a SCOTUS ruling on the GFSZA because, strictly enforced, it would mean that a significant percentage of the U.S. population could never own a firearm, including many active LEO's.
It's impossible for you to unload the firearm and put it in a locked container while transporting it? :headscratch
I was not aware that the GFSZA allowed an exception if the weapon was transported in that fashion. So there is a way. That must be what the non-LTC holding LEO's do when they drop their kids off at school on their way to work.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”