CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Chemist45
Posts in topic: 1

Gas Station Clerk Shoots Armed Robber - gets suspended

Post by Chemist45 »

http://www.guns.com/2017/09/22/gas-stat ... ng-robber/
In a nutshell: He sticks a gun in her face, she shoots him in the chest, employer suspends her because their policy is:
“We are not to chase. We are not to provoke. We are not to do anything. We just stand there and give them what they want and they leave,”
Great policy, until Mr. Bad Guy decides maybe he doesn't want to leave any witnesses.
She defended herself and they suspended her for it.
She then quit.
Good for her.
Someone set up a Go Fund Me page for her:
https://www.gofundme.com/gas-station-ro ... of-3-fired
I'm contributing.
Altho, given Go Fund Me's liberal tendencies, they may take it down.

dlh

Re: Gas Station Clerk Shoots Armed Robber - gets suspended

Post by dlh »

The 711 Corporation is notorious for firing its employees who defend themselves with a firearm in armed robberies.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

flechero

Post by flechero »

She's alive to seek better employment!! But she shouldn't have quit... make them fire you and collect unemployment. If nothing else, look for the new job while on suspension.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

flechero wrote:She's alive to seek better employment!! But she shouldn't have quit... make them fire you and collect unemployment. If nothing else, look for the new job while on suspension.
Doesn't work that way. If you quit or are fired, you are ineligible for unemployement for the first 7 weeks. Then you may still be ineligible.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

OldCurlyWolf wrote:
flechero wrote:She's alive to seek better employment!! But she shouldn't have quit... make them fire you and collect unemployment. If nothing else, look for the new job while on suspension.
Doesn't work that way. If you quit or are fired, you are ineligible for unemployement for the first 7 weeks. Then you may still be ineligible.
Not true if you can prove they fired you without cause or in violation of the law, you can still get unemployment. I got fired once from a company that had a 3 day sick policy, they tried to deny unemployment because I violated the policy - but I had a doctors notice and gave them a copy when I returned(I called in daily even though I had a specific return to work date) - it had been a really nasty case of Flu. Either way, it was overturned and I got unemployment for that incident. Now, this was about 15 or so years ago, so maybe unemployment rules have changed.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I think we need a new phrase to cover this

"Better to find a new job than to be carried by 6". Not as catchy, but the concept is similar to the original.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

IMHO, I don't think she would have been able to collect unemployment because she violated company policy. I don't like it or agree with it, but I think that's how it would have ended up.

I doubt she could have gotten a doctor's note to excuse her from possible death, but wouldn't that be funny to try. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Pawpaw »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I think we need a new phrase to cover this

"Better to find a new job than to be carried by 6". Not as catchy, but the concept is similar to the original.
How about this:

"It's better to be fired than fired upon."
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

Better unemploy-ed than dead? It also applies to companies with antigun rules in the employee handbook but that don't give 30.06 notice.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/26/do ... spect.html
“I grabbed my gun from my pocket, I cocked it, and I shot,” Wertz said, according to FOX6. "I'm sick and tired of being a sitting duck."

Wertz said she had the gun with her at work out of fear of being robbed while on duty. She said her employer hadn't been doing enough to ensure her safety.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Her gofundme page has now raised over $44k. :thumbs2:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Pawpaw wrote:Her gofundme page has now raised over $44k. :thumbs2:
Maybe we could start a movement for everyone to boycott 7-11 on a certain day and donate whatever they would have spent there to this woman instead.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

In the hour and a half since I last posted, that gofundme total has gone over $65k.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”