Just checking... Current renewal process

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: Charles L. Cotton, carlson1


Topic author
newTexan
Member
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:20 am

Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby newTexan » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Hey just checking my understanding here. I need to renew this year. My understanding is that renewals now are just online. No required class or test. Is that correct?

Thanks!

User avatar

Flightmare
Senior Member
Posts: 1718
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:00 pm
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby Flightmare » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:40 pm

That is correct. You may do your renewal online with no class time required.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

User avatar

Steamboat
Senior Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 am
Location: Waxahachie, Texas

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby Steamboat » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:00 pm

It looks like three forms must be completed, LTC-77, LTC-85 and LTC-86.
Forms LTC-85 and LTC-86 must be notarized. I believe these three forms along with payment can be submitted online for renewal.
I'm about to go through the renewal process and this is my understanding. If there is something I'm missing, please advise.
Thanks.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

User avatar

The Annoyed Man
Senior Member
Posts: 23558
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:59 pm
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Contact:

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby The Annoyed Man » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 am

Steamboat wrote:It looks like three forms must be completed, LTC-77, LTC-85 and LTC-86.
Forms LTC-85 and LTC-86 must be notarized. I believe these three forms along with payment can be submitted online for renewal.
I'm about to go through the renewal process and this is my understanding. If there is something I'm missing, please advise.
Thanks.

Both my wife and I did our renewals entirely online. There was no mailing involved at all, no notary public, no special forms. Everything was handled through the DPS website.
Give me Liberty, or I'll get up and get it myself.—Hookalakah Meshobbab
I don't carry because of the odds, I carry because of the stakes.—The Annoyed Boy

User avatar

sbrawley
Senior Member
Posts: 691
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:32 pm
Location: Lubbock

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby sbrawley » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:43 am

I renew this year as well. How far in advance can we start the renewal process? I thought I seen it on here but can’t remember.
You've never met America, and you ought to pray you never do -Charlie Daniels
2015 NRA Lifetime Member


bblhd672
Senior Member
Posts: 3428
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:43 am
Location: TX

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby bblhd672 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:56 am

sbrawley wrote:I renew this year as well. How far in advance can we start the renewal process? I thought I seen it on here but can’t remember.


6 months

User avatar

Steamboat
Senior Member
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:41 am
Location: Waxahachie, Texas

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby Steamboat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:27 am

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Steamboat wrote:It looks like three forms must be completed, LTC-77, LTC-85 and LTC-86.
Forms LTC-85 and LTC-86 must be notarized. I believe these three forms along with payment can be submitted online for renewal.
I'm about to go through the renewal process and this is my understanding. If there is something I'm missing, please advise.
Thanks.

Both my wife and I did our renewals entirely online. There was no mailing involved at all, no notary public, no special forms. Everything was handled through the DPS website.


Thank you for this information. I guess I misunderstood the process. I'm now in the process of renewal online.
"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers


OneGun
Senior Member
Posts: 349
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:22 am
Location: Houston

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby OneGun » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 am

There seems to be a mix of information. I renewed this past December and got my LTC in January. The entire process in online. There were NO forms to upload. You can renew as soon as six months before your expiration date. The fees were reduce to $40.

Go to https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/ltc/

One
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

User avatar

kg5ie
Senior Member
Posts: 492
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:53 am
Location: Weatherford, TX
Contact:

Re: Just checking... Current renewal process

Postby kg5ie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm

The forms are still available for those folks with no computer, or want to do it the old fashion way by snail mail. If you do it on-line (DPS preferred method) the "affidavits" are done on-line also. Remember, one of the things you are "attesting" to (LTC-86) is that you have read from LTC-16 and understand the current laws.


l
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com


Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cyphertext and 4 guests